Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCandles for Andrew Latimer(Camel)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 22:39
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

You've scared me marco! You usually light a candle for the one who died...

http://www.kings-langley-churches.org.uk/Images/prayer-candle.gif

Me too!  I'm glad he's fine and hope for a satisfactory recovery.

Let's go Andy!
Smile

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 16:10
Sadly I was out of the country on the 21st and didn't read about his surgery until today, but this evening, I will go home, light a candle and listen to Moonmadness and hope for a speedy recovery for Andy.

We're all pulling for you Andy.  Best wishes!
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 20:52
CAMEL: News from the Camel camp is that Andrew (Latimer) is progressing very well. Thus far, he has tolerated the treatment exceptionally well - and he underwent a bone marrow transplant on 21st November. We send Andrew all our best wishes.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 11:07

Here goes my candle for the master Andy Latimer, a great musician, a genuine writer/composer, a kind person, a point of reference for many of the greatest guitarists around in the current prog scene.

Get well!! Get better!! And keep on going!! 

Edited by Cesar Inca - November 27 2007 at 11:09
Rutgers Joe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 10:33
Received this in an e-mail from Camel Productions a few minutes ago...

Andrew's Health Day 15 post transplant

Thank you for your light.  The candles so many of you lit for Andrew on the day of his bone marrow transplant were truly felt.  There was a special feeling in his room when the nurses brought in the transplant, and that feeling remained for several hours.  Thank you all so much.

We've had many emails asking about Andrew's progress so I thought I would give you a condensed description of the process.  The bone marrow is actually stem cells, harvested from a donor.  The donor is given medication to stimulate these stem cells, and then they are taken simply through blood donation, much like giving a pint of blood.  The stem cells are removed from the blood, and then transfused to the patient, that being Andrew.  It is a strangely simple conclusion to a hugely complex process.  In the end, a little bag holds Andrew's future, suspended above his bed connected to his intravenous line.  It took about 2 hours for the stem cells to be fully transfused.  And now, we wait.

It will be many weeks before we know if it is 100% successful.  The donor's stem cells must replace Andrew's immune system, and this takes time.  He is sure to have some difficult days, and the inevitable effects of chemotherapy will soon begin to show.  During the next 6-12 weeks, he will be in isolation, to protect him from infection and monitor his progress.  So, as you can see, it is now a waiting game.

His doctors are very pleased with his progress to date, and he has done well with the drug therapy.  But we do take it one day at a time.  Yesterday was a good day; we'll wait to see what today brings.  One day at a time.

Some very dear friends of ours got together and bought a lovely new guitar for him, just before he went into hospital.  He has that guitar with him, so he's keeping his fingers nimble and writing a bit of music. He is strong in spirit and determined to get well.  I know this strength and determination is accentuated by the support he is given, by all of us, and all of you.  Please keep those candles burning.

With thanks from the depth of my heart,
Susan Hoover

The original (and very creepy) cover of THE STEVE HOWE ALBUM...hint...look in the water...

mattmacneil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 08:17
After his transplant..I was just curious if anyone knows if he's still trucking along?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12