Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew interesting progressive non PA bands!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 08:21
Bootcut for the archives - awaiting a final check and they'll be here Thumbs%20Up

Flairck: what did Clem/Bob say about them Guigo? Can we proceed and add them?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 09:18
I just checked the database in my Lesser And Unknown New Progrock Bands thread, in January 2008 I will present the following new bands (including reviews and genre recommendations):

- Dyonisos (post Waters Pink Floyd sound)
- Eye To Eye (between Symphonic Prog and Heavy Prog)
- Motis (progressive folk from France)
- Solaris Fusion (Solaris rhythm-section project)
- Janos Varga Project (ex-East guitarplayer his project)

By the way, great to notice all those positive words about Dutch progressive folk band Flairck Thumbs%20Up

Info: http://flairck.com/  (including downloads!)

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 22 2007 at 16:07
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 07:05

This week I will write a review about Flairck their
                          double live album Live In Amsterdam, I haven't listened
                          to Flairck for many years so I am looking forward to it Approve

Gibson 12-string guitar:

Info: http://flairck.com/gal.php?d=gal/03instruments

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 07:09
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Flairck: what did Clem/Bob say about them Guigo? Can we proceed and add them?

I've sent him some samples, Angelo... perhaps with the "damage fixing" and the Christmas time he'll give me a feedback after the "Feasts". Smile

Edited by Atkingani - December 23 2007 at 07:10
Guigo

~~~~~~
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 07:41
^ Great. I think we can include them in no-time if he approves Thumbs%20Up

Be back tomorrow - off to play the blues for the remainder of the day!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 07:27

Thanks for your support Angelo and I am glad that the teams are
                        now working on the suggestions, very inspiring Thumbs%20Up

My January 2008 band suggestions plans:

- Dyonisos (post Waters Pink Floyd sound)
- Eye To Eye (between Symphonic Prog and Heavy Prog)
- Motis (progressive folk from France)
- Solaris Fusion (Solaris rhythm-section project)
- Janos Varga Project, project by ex-East guitarplayer (Eclectic Prog)
- Mass Media -Criptoidea (jazzrock)
- Mark Varney Project - Truth In Shredding (jazzrock)

Reviews, websites and MP3 files will be added
                                      when I publish these band suggestions.

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 28 2007 at 07:29
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 07:47
He he, the teams need a push and a reminder every now and then - and some help from the SCs on actually doing the inclusions Wink

Another suggestion for this thread (album due in January) is J'Accuse from Italy. They will be included shortly (bio, photograph etc underway.

For samples visit their web site: http://www.myspace.com/jaccusemusic 

Oh and Erik: there's a CD waiting for you right here, with unsigned and new bands samples. Shall I mail it to you, together with the Hammond photos? Wanted to give them back yesterday, but you weren't there....

Edited by Angelo - December 28 2007 at 07:49
ISKC Rock Radio
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 08:29
let me know of Janos Varga music, thanks! Thumbs%20UpClap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 10:00

Angelo: I discovered that not many fellow collaborators had time to read my Lesser And Unknown New Progrock Bands thread so I decided to do regular posts (once in 2-3 months) in the Band Suggestion thread in order to keep the teams informed about the many new and interesting progrock bands. About our Amsterdam meeting, I e-mailed Hans that I was too ill because I had eaten contaminated (salmonella) meat during a gourmet dinner on my work, when I came home from my late shift on Tuesday, I have puked my whole stomach empty between 2400 and 0400, terrible Dead About the CD, I am looking forward to that CD, you can send it along with the Hammond photos, thanks Thumbs%20Up

Ricochet: Janos Varga Project is a very interesting band for Prog Archives, you can read my review about the live DVD (it contains the music of his two studio albums with the Janos Varga Project) in my Lesser And Unknown New Progrock Bands thread, in my opinion Eclectic Prog.

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 28 2007 at 10:01
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 01:31
Erik, I've got news regarding your two band suggestions for Electronic Prog. Unfortunately, both have been rejected. No doubt, these two bands' field of work is electronic, the problem is that the quality brings everything down to new-age and keyboard-made music.

You can definitely check our Team Thread in the CZ, both me and philippe have posted a couple of lines on what we thought about the music.

I'll get back to you, regarding the bands suggested for Eclectic. Some are good (some are even added: Bootcut), while some have a bit of doubtfulness we further need to discuss.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:18
Rico - I was checking this thread for an update on the bands suggested by Erik - thanks for beating me to it Smile
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:39
Ricochet, I am unpleasantly surprised about the rejection of Omni, especially because of the reaction of Philippe, just take a look at my review, this band deserves a place on Prog Archives:

My review:

OMNI ? MERMAIDS

(2006, 42.13, Metal Mind Productions MMP CD 0436)

This is a Polish musical project, originally rooted in the Eighties by the trio Marceli Latoszek (keyboards)), Rafal Blazejewski (cello and synthesizers) and Gerard Sawicki (noises). They were fascinated by ELP and decided to a further exploration of symphonic prog but later they switched to electronic music in the vein of early Klaus Schulze and more experimental and  complex music.In 1983 Omni performed at a festival in East Poland and in 1985 the band released their eponymous debut LP but two years they disbanded. In 2002 Omni re-started in order to work on the CD re-edition of their early material and in 2006 they even produced brandnew material. The sound on the CD entitled ?Mermaids? is modern, melodic and tasteful. The first track delivers a mellow climate with some heavy metal guitar riffs, sumptuous keyboards and opera-like female vocals along a propulsive beat. The second track blends modern electronic - and classical music featuring a slow beat, soaring strings and wonderful violin work. The third track contains a catchy beat with beautiful violin play and lots of fine synthesizer sounds. The final, very long track (almost 24 minutes) evokes the modern and more commercial Tangerine Dream, ranging from tender piano play to slow synthesizer flights, tasteful and melodic but you have to be up to this mellow and electronic sound.

(***)

www.metalmind.com.pl

[email protected]

By the way, I notice the same subjectivity in the discussion about Journey reading the words of fellow collaborators, like Sean who says that everything after the first album is "crap", what a nonsense to make such a conclusion, I hope that the many positive reactions on Journey their early work (non-Perry era) in several threads (like this one) will be a reason to add Journey to Prog Archives, pure justice!

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 08 2008 at 16:58
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:56
Well, Erik, you got every right to be dissapointed, but we did the best to listen to their music. Of course, not to the entire CD, since we didn't get that, but to much of the samples that could have been found - from Metal Mind Records and other sites.

The difference between your review and philippe's is to be seen by other members here, since you've copied his "notes" from the CZ to this public thread. As far as I'm concerned, I respect his vote, plus, not to forget, there are two NO votes to this project.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 16:59
I have deleted Philippe his words in my post.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 02:17
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

By the way, I notice the same subjectivity in the discussion about Journey reading the words of fellow collaborators, like Sean who says that everything after the first album is "crap", what a nonsense to make such a conclusion, I hope that the many positive reactions on Journey their early work (non-Perry era) in several threads (like this one) will be a reason to add Journey to Prog Archives, pure justice!

I am totally ignorant of that Omni thing, but I happen to agree with your opinion about Journey. First three albums are definitely progressive, having two ex-Santana members is another affirmative factor... No wonder, wikipedia describes the first album as progressive rock & jazz fusion!
The only problem would be the relatively lesser number of "prog" albums in comparison to the majority of output, which will harden to find an appropriate place for them in PA... I think prog-related will work, but who will deal with it, and to what extent?....

(speaking of "everything after the first album being crap" is exactly true about Scorpions Wink... you might want to reconsider that, as well LOL)
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 11:17

^ Erik, I don't want to offense you but just find an other subgenre for Omni if you consider them to be prog (...) their sound is just cheesy and mellow for my ears and the progressive electronic category absorbs more attractive "kosmische" electronics, organic experimentations and extreme sonic metaphors (Jurgen Karg, Conrad Schnitzler, Space Machine, Philippe Besombes, Igor Wakhevitch, Klaus Schulze, Heldon, Telaio Magnetico, Futuro Antico...). Tangerine Dream are essentialy included in the genre for their Pink and Virgin eras. Omni admits only parallels with soft mainstream electronic essays from J.M Jarre or TD, moreover if you read the definition of the progressive electronic subgenre symphonic synths works are not included.

We accept:

Psychoacoustically soundscapes
"Kosmische" music
Cerebral environnemental ambiences
dark ambient
post (modern) industrial experimentations
buzzing drones excursions

We are more into abstract / alchemic synth-electronic experimentations than into symphonic electronic pop music

Edited by philippe - January 09 2008 at 11:19
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 17:19
In absence of Erik a small update on inclusion/investigation status for bands suggested here:

Eclectic:
- Bootcut: added
- Crepuscule: rejected, propose for symphonic
- Traumpfad: rejected, propose for Heavy/Xover
- Vlad V: being considered
- Janos Varga: unknown

Jazz Rock/Fusion:
- Mass Media: being discussed
- Mark Varney Project: being discussed

Heavy Prog:
- White Chapel: being considered for heavy
- Eye to Eye: unknown

Electronic:
- 31Projects: rejected
- Omni: rejected

Other/unspecified:
- Gallery: proposed for inclusion in Xover
- Dyonisos: not looked at yet
- Motis: not looked at yet
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12