Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flying Luttenbachers call it quits + last releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlying Luttenbachers call it quits + last releases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flying Luttenbachers call it quits + last releases
    Posted: December 27 2007 at 19:51
This probably wont shake the world like the split of other bands... Cry

Composer and multi-instrumentalist for the band FLYING LUTTENBACHERS, THE ,Weasel Walter, left a little note telling fans that the band will no longer be active due to the "lack of  support and recognition" the band got through their 15+ years of being active:

"over the last two or three years it was starting to seem like i was keeping this mess going just to "prove something" - to myself, to my friends, to my enemies, etc. i guess what i was trying to prove is that nothing could stop the band. that's not a very good reason to have a band, honestly. the serious lack of support and recognition for the flying luttenbachers had drained me almost completely by late 2006. i was a nervous wreck and momentum was at an absolute zero. around november of this year, i realized there really was nothing to "prove" by keeping it going, i felt free and decided to end it on an artistic high note, the new album "incarceration by abstraction". this is the best decision for me. i don't regret anything the band has done, but it's simply time to move on. i'm not done making music yet - not by a long shot. how and why i make music has to be looked at in a different light. there's got to be a way to do this without killing myself for it. i continue to play in xbxrx, recently joined burmese and will focus on my improvised music options next year, including writing more material for large ensembles. if people think they're going to "miss" the flying luttenbachers, my suggestion is that they listen a little closer to the music the band has already made. i assure you that there's plenty left to chew on inside of those recordings. perhaps if i feel like a wider audience is ready for it, we'll reappear, but until then we've done all we can do. any more would be quixotic and futile."

I was pretty skeptical about this, but further research confirmed it:

As of November 2007, The Flying Luttenbachers have officially ceased operation. The band will reappear when the human race is finally prepared for armageddon. Don't say we didn't warn you.
http://nowave.pair.com/luttenbachers/new_contents.html

SUPPORT LIVING ARTISTS - DON'T TAKE GREAT MUSIC FOR GRANTED
http://www.myspace.com/theflyingluttenbachers

it’s official: the flying luttenbachers RIP (1991-2007)

i just spent about an hour writing an explanation, but acidentally deleted it. you know, what? it doesn't even matter. cheers to you.

christopher todd walter

http://www.myspace.com/theflyingluttenbachers

After nearly 16 years of releasing and touring music so confrontational that it makes Stravinksy’s The Rite of Spring sound like a love theme, The Flying Luttenbachers have officially decided to call it quits. Featuring a rotating cast of musicians — such as Ken Vandermark, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Hal Russell, etc., and ending with Mike Green, Ed Rodriguez, and Rob Pumpelly — the only man present for the entire Luttenbachers ride was Weasel Walter, a composer/producer who was described by Glenn Branca in a Pitchfork interview as "one of the greatest rock composers who ever lived, and he’s struggling and living like a poverty-stricken hermit."
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/The-Flying-Luttenbachers-Disband

Now for the good news:
A DVD of the band is coming with  Mick Barr  in the line-up. You can watch the trailer here:

Live Cataclysm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPpDhR7Hic

Edited by chamberry - December 27 2007 at 20:06

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 19:55
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

As of November 2007, The Flying Luttenbachers have officially ceased operation. The band will reappear when the human race is finally prepared for armageddon. Don't say we didn't warn you.

now that is going out in style....

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 20:03
Yeah, but the thing that hurts me the most is the reason why he broke the band. I can see why alot of people don't like this "special" kind of music, but it's sad to see 15+ years of work pass unnoticed.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 14:11
you've cut through my smartassery to my sentimental side Ruben... that is indeed a shame.  For what it's worth... I'll give those tracks and that youtube clip a listen after I finish screening this group I'm listening to now.  15 years is a lifetime in the music field...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 00:44

It is certainly sad to see.

Maybe I'll actually order one of their CDs now.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 21:45
Be careful with their music though. They aren't ear-friendly at all and one of the most unrelenting bands that I know of.

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 12:21
Everyone buy their albums and prove them wrong!

I shall give the album I have a listen and if I like it, I'll purchase some more.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 09:24

Flying Luttenbachers call it quits + last releases

Obviously I'm not a fan, but the last part is the best news I've heard so farThumbs%20Up, and they shouldn't be feeling obliged to release the last few garggles they came up withThumbs%20Down.

These guys were never more than just noise with pretension.Pig

Shalln't miss themCensored
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply