Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWall of Voodoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall of Voodoo
    Posted: January 05 2008 at 18:58
I think Wall of Voodoo is also a Prog-Band

Here the song "Tsetse Fly"

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=foR_awaCKvk
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 20:19
I think Wall of Voodoo were a New Wave band with no prog credentials.
What?
MonkeyphoneAlex View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 22:59
Originally posted by ProgFan62 ProgFan62 wrote:

I think Wall of Voodoo is also a Prog-Band

Here the song "Tsetse Fly"

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=foR_awaCKvk

uhhhhhh, k?
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ
BigHairyMonster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 06:52
Yo, progfan, I hear ya!  I think Wall Of Voodoo and Stand Ridgeway get a bit of a bad shake from the prog community.  I think many just write them off because of "Mexican Radio", but they were a very different band from the average 80's new wave act.  I am sure that those that ignore them also ignore Talk Talk, Split Enz, Oingo Boingo, Devo, and others that pushed the 80s sound.  Are they Crimson?  No!  But they are damned interesting!

Big Hairy Monster's debut CD
"View" coming soon!
www.bighairymonster.com
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 07:00
When I shared a flat with my brother and my friend, we played Stan Ridgeway's Camouflage single every day before we had our dinner. Not quite Supper's Ready...!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 09:30
How is David Bowie not on this website?Someone, please explain that one, oh sorry, you can't.....Also, Queensryche is not prog.........
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 09:35
Originally posted by proggy proggy wrote:

How is David Bowie not on this website?Someone, please explain that one, oh sorry, you can't.....Also, Queensryche is not prog.........

I don't see what David Bowie or Queensryche have to do with this thread. Anyway, Bowie is being discussed by the Crossover Team; as to Queensryche, they may not be prog to you, but they are to a lot of other people. If you want to protest against their presence on this site, you are free to start a thread or a poll about that - but be warned that once a band or artist is in, they will not be removed except under very special circumstances.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 10:09
Don't forget Sock of Fleagulls and Men at Rice....

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 06 2008 at 10:10
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 15:05
What about Duran Duran? They sure did some very weird and new things in the 80's!!
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
BigHairyMonster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 20:41
I find it very strange.  You look at classic prog bands and find that they are inspired by Classical or Jazz music (or in some cases, folk/world music or other styles) and they pushed boundaries, and get classified as prog.  You look at modern prog bands and find that many are inspired by the first wave(s), metal/70s hard rock, doesn't necessarily push as many boundaries, and still be called prog.  But the moment that a new wave, punk, ska, hip-hop, country, or alternative band begins pushing the boundaries they get sacked for being unoriginal or uninspired, and unfairly lumped in with other groups of their genre without even a re-listen. 

Examples of this:
Split Enz - Unfairly lumped in to the new wave movement due to tunes like One Step Ahead.  I could simply challenge you to listen to their first album "Mental Notes" and tell me that this isn't prog, but no.  How about "Time + Tide", a prog-pop masterpiece featuring excellent song structures, ripping keys, quirky unusual songs, and awesome harmonies.

Mind Science Of The Mind - Their self-titled debut consistently gets ripped, but it is only one example of the infrequent crossing of alt/grunge rock and prog.  Think Nirvana with overtones of Crimson or Van Der Graaf.

Extreme - A band that for the most part should be lumped with the hair metal scene, came up with a prog metal masterpiece in "III Sides To Every Story", an album that to me still stands up to anything Dream Theatre or Queensryche has ever done.

Wall Of Voodoo - I hate drum machines, but this band was very innovative in their use of them.  Plus, Ridgeway's fondness for film noir soundtracks and Ennio Morricone always lent an air to the music that set them apart.  Easily more interesting than what many classic prog bands were doing at the same time.

Talk Talk - Listen to Spirit Of Eden or Laughing Stock, say no more.

It is interesting that a number of older bands here ventured from prog into some pretty despicable territory...Genesis, Yes, Banco, Moody Blues, and Jethro Tull all come to mind.  We give these bands credibility for their achievements and argue their missteps.  However, if a band starts off as new wave or punk (or some other genre designated as "uncredable"), and then releaseses something that is outside of that genre (Talk Talk or Oingo Boingo being good examples), it is still largely written off.

Granted these are not Supper's Ready and for that I am glad.  As great as Supper's Ready, Gates Of Delerium, or Thick As A Brick are, I have heard them...for years.  I would rather grow as a musician and listen to these other misunderstood masterpieces for their own unique progressivities than be perpetually stuck in the Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, (name your discussed to death band here) rut of retro-prog-metal-whatever redundancy.

...and I won't even get into it about Bowie!

Edited by BigHairyMonster - January 06 2008 at 20:52

Big Hairy Monster's debut CD
"View" coming soon!
www.bighairymonster.com
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 20:53
Originally posted by BigHairyMonster BigHairyMonster wrote:

I find it very strange.  You look at classic prog bands and find that they are inspired by Classical or Jazz music (or in some cases, folk/world music or other styles) and they pushed boundaries, and get classified as prog.  You look at modern prog bands and find that many are inspired by the first wave(s), metal/70s hard rock, doesn't necessarily push as many boundaries, and still be called prog.  But the moment that a new wave, punk, ska, hip-hop, country, or alternative band begins pushing the boundaries they get sacked for being unoriginal or uninspired, and unfairly lumped in with other groups of their genre without even a re-listen. 

Examples of this:
Split Enz - Unfairly lumped in to the new wave movement due to tunes like One Step Ahead.  I could simply challenge you to listen to their first album "Mental Notes" and tell me that this isn't prog, but no.  How about "Time + Tide", a prog-pop masterpiece featuring excellent song structures, ripping keys, quirky unusual songs, and awesome harmonies.

Mind Science Of The Mind - Their self-titled debut consistently gets ripped, but it is only one example of the infrequent crossing of alt/grunge rock and prog.  Think Nirvana with overtones of Crimson or Van Der Graaf.

Extreme - A band that for the most part should be lumped with the hair metal scene, came up with a prog metal masterpiece in "III Sides To Every Story", an album that to me still stands up to anything Dream Theatre or Queensryche has ever done.

Wall Of Voodoo - I hate drum machines, but this band was very innovative in their use of them.  Plus, Ridgeway's fondness for film noir soundtracks and Ennio Morricone always lent an air to the music that set them apart.  Easily more interesting than what many classic prog bands were doing at the same time.

Talk Talk - Listen to Spirit Of Eden or Laughing Stock, say no more.

Granted these are not Supper's Ready and for that I am glad.  As great as Supper's Ready, Gates Of Delerium, or Thick As A Brick are, I have heard them...for years.  I would rather grow as a musician and listen to these other misunderstood masterpieces for their own unique progressivities than be perpetually stuck in the Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, (name your discussed to death band here) rut of retro-prog-metal-whatever redundancy.

...and I won't even get into it about Bowie!

I can't say anything but ClapClapClap to you and your open-mindedness. Thank heavens for people like you!Smile You have exactly the same point of view as I have about music, and I think your words - especially the last paragraph, should be framed.

Incidentally, I remember being very intrigued by Stan Ridgeway's distinctive voice and obvious Morricone influences (I am Italian, after allWink...), in particular when the album he recorded with Stewart Copeland was released in the late Eighties. Personally, I would be very much in favour of including Talking Heads (Talk Talk and Split Enz are already here), and was responsible for the addition of Japan, which unfortunately wasn't very well-received by some long-time members.

As to Bowie, as I said in an earlier post, he's being discussed by the Crossover Team, and may be added in the near future.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 21:39
^ the Crossover Team is not anti-New Wave Wink however we have to be extremely critical in our assessment of left-field artists who are not generally acepted as being part of the Progressive music scene. I firmly believe that many of the musicians who formed New Wave bands in the 80s would have formed Prog bands if musical pogrom of 1977 hadn't happened. The music of that era was not created in a vacuum, issolated from the musc that went before it, so was influenced by prog rock in some way or other (even if only as the antithesis to it in some cases). What is important from our perspective is how much that influence shows in the recorded material, how much can be traced back to a recognised source (Krautrock being the obvious example), and (to a lesser extent) whether the artist influenced later Prog bands. As Raff has said, we have included some New Wave artists and will no doubt include others over time.

To the question of Stan Ridgeway (as a solo artist) and Wall Of Voodoo, from what little I have heard I cannot see any apparent Progressive elements in their songs, BUT, if someone can point me towards tracks that do show this then I will listen to them.

ps: Ennio Morricone may not be enough in its own right Wink - several artists have directly quoted his music in their own (Big Audio Dynamite, Adam And The Ants, Fields of the Nephilim etc...)
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 05:18
Seconds, thirds or whatevers to the addition of Talking Heads and Bowie here.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 06:54
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by BigHairyMonster BigHairyMonster wrote:

I can't say anything but ClapClapClap to you and your open-mindedness. Thank heavens for people like you!Smile You have exactly the same point of view as I have about music, and I think your words - especially the last paragraph, should be framed.

consider it framed darling LOLHeart

my two cents...  there are two groups of people here...  most often regarding 'modern' prog... or that past 'classic' prog.

the extention of the notion that made the classic era prog...prog....  that prog was movement... to expand the boundries of music and use whatever diverse influences to take rock and music where it had not been

and..

those who see modern prog as a 'genre'...  and with that comes set guidelines and criteria...  usually involving things that were BY-PRODUCTS of the expanded boundries of the classic period.. metric complexity, length, use of the trons, moogs and so forth... blaa blaa blaa. 

those with an open mind generally subscribe to notion that prog.. .is not set by boundries... but evolves and changes... to incorporate new influences ... even to the point where it is no longer 'your daddie's prog'.  Those who aren't as open minded.. stick to rigid ideas as to what is prog and what is not. 

Is either side wrong.. nope.. nor is either side right.. .again... prog is ...what prog is.  It is up to the listener.  Those forward thinking people who make decisions regarding addtions to the site know that it is not only about their opinion.. but what others think as well.  There is no right or wrong way to see prog. That is why those who are open minded rarely bitch and complain about additons here.. they understand this site is to reflect many views of prog.  Those who aren't... are the ones that generally can not see that others have different ways of seeing prog.

nice post bighairymonster (LOL)

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 09:42
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

^ the Crossover Team is not anti-New Wave Wink however we have to be extremely critical in our assessment of left-field artists who are not generally acepted as being part of the Progressive music scene. I firmly believe that many of the musicians who formed New Wave bands in the 80s would have formed Prog bands if musical pogrom of 1977 hadn't happened. The music of that era was not created in a vacuum, issolated from the musc that went before it, so was influenced by prog rock in some way or other (even if only as the antithesis to it in some cases). What is important from our perspective is how much that influence shows in the recorded material, how much can be traced back to a recognised source (Krautrock being the obvious example), and (to a lesser extent) whether the artist influenced later Prog bands. As Raff has said, we have included some New Wave artists and will no doubt include others over time.

My fine friend Dean is very correct in saying that they are not anti new wave >> Japan's inclusion is the proof of itTongueWink. As a matter of fact, they're a little too new wave friendly for my likingAngryPigLOL

I'm generally seen as anti new wave (and I won't deny it either) and I overcame my terrible anti Split Enz prejudice and heard the first few pre-80's albums I had never heard of before. And then I milited for SE's inclusion with micky.

BTW, Talk Talk  is also in the PA.

But let's not get carried away, I'm sure that even Duran Duran once wrote a song that could ebventually sound as slightly adventurous, but let's not include them.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply