Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan 30 Seconds To Mars be Considered Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 17:37
Ivan,  There is a saying here in the U.S. (I'm not sure how universal it is) "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."  Far more people know the 5 bands on the bottom then those that know the 10 bands on the top, so unfortunately, but obviously, there is more squeaking regarding each of those 5 bands then there is for all 10 of the prog bands combined. 

I believe that you and I came to a sort of an understanding in my previous Phil Collins thread where we agreed to disagree, but reached a common ground regarding prog bands taking priority over non-prog bands.  As was discussed there and elsewhere, for every one prog-related band that is added, there are approximately 100 full-fledged prog bands that are added.  It just seems as a general rule the prog-related bands generate more interesting discussions than the prog bands, because they are the "news that sells". 

Recently, I have been enjoying Avestin's threads regarding many prog bands that I did not know.  Not much activity in those threads but still quite enjoyable and it would definitely be nice to see more participation and even more threads like it.  I certainly wouldn't mind seeing you start a thread regarding those above bands to discuss their music and qualities.   Actually, I would love it if you headed a thread like that regarding symphonic and neo-prog bands since those are two of my favorite genres.

My comment to you is that the forums are for discussions.  You are a special collaborator and you certainly have control over which bands that you are going to discuss and vote on for addition to the site.   My guess is that you don't concentrate on too many prog-related bands in the symphonic or neo-prog band sections because that is your choice to not do so.

Maybe we need to find a way to increase the amount of streaming songs that are available for these lesser known bands.  I know that there are other sources such as prog radio, etc.. but I think it would be cool to have the ability to have some sort of "on-demand" way to listen to songs from these lesser known bands (and I don't mean illegal downloading).  I know that ITunes don't have too many of these artists.  I'm not sure if Amazon or Napster do or not.  Rather than having the .99 cent fee to down load a song, we could pay a quarter (like the old jukeboxes) or preferrably less (maybe your 2 cents that you mentioned above).  Maybe a way to generate income for this site as well as for the bands. 

Edited by rushfan4 - January 25 2008 at 17:38
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 18:14
Ok,then ...Thank you all for sharing you're opinion , now I know what they realy are, but I still like them:)Tongue, even though I prefer King Crimson and ELP.Wink
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 20:55
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ivan,  There is a saying here in the U.S. (I'm not sure how universal it is) "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."  Far more people know the 5 bands on the bottom then those that know the 10 bands on the top, so unfortunately, but obviously, there is more squeaking regarding each of those 5 bands then there is for all 10 of the prog bands combined. 

Here is no squeaky wheel Rushfan, neither a top or a bottom one, there are Prog, Prog Relateds. Barely Related and as the author of this thread says "a bit Proggy" (Not even a bit Prog, but a little bit related to a related band.)

I believe that you and I came to a sort of an understanding in my previous Phil Collins thread where we agreed to disagree, but reached a common ground regarding prog bands taking priority over non-prog bands.  As was discussed there and elsewhere, for every one prog-related band that is added, there are approximately 100 full-fledged prog bands that are added.  It just seems as a general rule the prog-related bands generate more interesting discussions than the prog bands, because they are the "news that sells". 

The problem is that very few worry or care to add a Prog band, and most of the threads lately are about some bands that a bit proggy.

This is a Prog site, our main interest should be Prog bands, we have to add 160 bios in Neo Prog, because nobody cared to make a decent bio of them instead of promoting Proggy bands, and I'm sure that some member could had added a bio of a band he/she knew.

We started threads asking for help in Symphonic about bands that didn't had photos or we couldn't find info....you know how many replies we go....ONE, that's all, we have 7,000 members and not one cared to help complete real Prog bands to have a coherent site (not counting guys like Erik or some Collaborators and Adms who helped without being asked).

On the other hand look at this...None of this bands is in Prog Archives, but we have: 
  1. 12 threads about Toto: One 3 pages, two of 2 pages and the rest 1 page
  2. 8 threads about Boston, one of them 8 opages long
  3. 8 threads about Journey, most 2 pages long
  4. 2 threads about The Bee Gees (thankfully short)
  5. 4 threads about Beck (Not Jeff Beck but Bexk)
  6. 3 threads about Bjork
  7. 3 threads about Mountain
  8. 4 threads about Elton John
  9. 6 threads about Prog Rap, one with 17 pages
  10. 3 threads about Tears for Fears
  11. 3 threads about Talking Heads
  12. 7 threads about Aphex Twin
  13. 8 threads about U2
  14. 8 about Coldplay, one of the many suggesting them, has 5 pages
  15. 54 threads about Phil Collins
  16. 4 threads about Kurt Cobain
  17. 4 threads about Kitaro
  18. 2 threads about Demis Roussos
  19. 2 threads about Andreas Vollenweider
  20. 6 threads about Trevor Rabin

And this is the tip of the iceberg, few bands except the big 5, 6 or 7 and Dream Theater have as many threads.

Recently, I have been enjoying Avestin's threads regarding many prog bands that I did not know.  Not much activity in those threads but still quite enjoyable and it would definitely be nice to see more participation and even more threads like it.  I certainly wouldn't mind seeing you start a thread regarding those above bands to discuss their music and qualities.   Actually, I would love it if you headed a thread like that regarding symphonic and neo-prog bands since those are two of my favorite genres.

We did it, I did it once, HT did it many times and we had to close them because of lack of interest.

My comment to you is that the forums are for discussions.  You are a special collaborator and you certainly have control over which bands that you are going to discuss and vote on for addition to the site.   

Not accurate, I can suggest bands as any member, but I have absolutely no control, my vote is only one as the one of any other member, the Administrators decide which bands are accepted in Prog Related, not the Collaborators.

My guess is that you don't concentrate on too many prog-related bands in the symphonic or neo-prog band sections because that is your choice to not do so.

Again not correct, if you knew how many bands we sent to PR and PP when doing the Symphonic cleaning (started an information thread in the public forum with only two replies), and how many we have on Neo Prog, you would think the opposite.

I personally added some Prog Related bands (when this was possible) after making a poll in the Collaborators secttion and if the result was positive, on the other hand I added many more Protoi Prog bands using the same system.

Maybe we need to find a way to increase the amount of streaming songs that are available for these lesser known bands.  I know that there are other sources such as prog radio, etc.. but I think it would be cool to have the ability to have some sort of "on-demand" way to listen to songs from these lesser known bands (and I don't mean illegal downloading).  I know that ITunes don't have too many of these artists.  I'm not sure if Amazon or Napster do or not.  Rather than having the .99 cent fee to down load a song, we could pay a quarter (like the old jukeboxes) or preferrably less (maybe your 2 cents that you mentioned above).  Maybe a way to generate income for this site as well as for the bands. 

That's M@X call, but I don't see Prog Archives as a Prog Radio or legal downloading site.

Cheers

Iván

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 22:02

It could be the fans of the non-prog bands aren't capable of using the search function to see that threads have already been done on those particular bands.  But seriously, from a discussion standpoint the controversial bands are more interesting to talk about from the position that they are prog versus they aren't prog and why we think they are or are not prog.  There is not as much to discuss when everyone is in agreement that a band is prog. 

I know that at this time the administrators are the ones who vote on adding prog-related bands.  I was referring to your being a collaborator on the symphonic and neo prog genres and therefore having control over what is voted on and added in those categories.  That was why I said that I didn't think that you concentrate on too many prog-related bands.  But yes, I imagine that you probably do consider bands for those categories that are decided don't qualify for those categories but that there is enough features to qualify as prog-related so that they would be forwarded to the admins for their decision.

It is too bad that the threads that you and HT started did not have much activity.  I will have to use the search function and find them and make some use out of them. 

Cheers

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12