Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCant believe I just did this...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cant believe I just did this...
    Posted: March 25 2005 at 17:07

...I just bought a ticket to go and see Musical Box do the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway here in Nottingham in April .

And yes I did say A ticket - not surprisingly, I couldn't find anyone else who would go.  Its not easy admitting that you're going to see a Genesis tribute band - especially after passionately and quite vocally depising them for most of my life. 

I'm only going for the Lamia mind you....(ahem).

If anyone else is interested, the dates were posted on the Genesis fan-club site, thither:

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/diverse/live/tmb_lamtour_2005_ english.html

How do bands manage to make a living out of mimmicking the 30 year-old stage frolics of some affluent art students?  Did it never occur to Gabriel, Collins et al, that doing a couple of 'old' tours now would mean they'd never have to work again?  And lets face it, we'd all be alot happier....its a win-win situation   

Sorry had to add an edit there to clarify something - erm, I wasn't actually ON the Genesis fan club website - I just came across the Lamb tour trying to buy tickets for Van Der Graaf in Liverpool....ooooh God, it gets worse...forget it.

I'm only 32.  What does that say about modern music?

Edited by Wrath_of_Ninian
"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 17:29
I'm going to see them in Glasgow and I'm only 19, can't wait
We Lost the Skyline............

Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 18:03

19!!!  There's hope    I really thought people your age would NEVER associate with someone like Genesis, God it was bad enough when I was 19 (and living in Glasgow - I'm from Galloway originally)!  

I have to say the only Genesis I knew when I was 19 was Invisible Touch and I Cant Dance etc.  Pure mince - I hated everything associated with Phil Collins, but I recently I forced myself to listen to some of their older albums, and of them, the Lamb completely stood out.  Not really sure where I stand on tribute bands, but as an archaeologist I feel my whole life is dedicated to recreating the past, and so I cant really fault their effort!   

I take it you are actually Scottish, and like me, are in dire fear of what the Italians will do to us tomorrow in the San Siro?    

Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 18:12
I am actuallky Scottish (though my accent says otherwise), and I assume that you are talking about football?  If so, it means absolutely nothing to me im afraid

My mates find my taste in music quite quaint, which i dont really mind, and it certainly hasnt made me a social pariah
We Lost the Skyline............

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 18:46

Sorry, yes I was talking about football and dont worry, its probably best that you dont know or learn anything about the Scottish team at the moment, save to say that we are currently at our lowest ever ranking in the world (beneath Burkino Faso and Tonga amongst other footballing heavyweights), and are playing World Cup favourites Italy, in Italy, tomorrow night.  Probably wont be your best introduction to international football.   

Most people I know find prog quite 'quirky', and occasionally dabble in it themselves - but try and get it put on in a room with more than 3 people in it, and watch the reaction!  It is a kind of ongoing joke down here, that whatever I put on will certainly be unpalatable to all, and will immediately draw attention from people who had previously been asleep or comatose in the corner of the room, but who suddenly have an ardent desire to take control of the stereo lest anymore of that "70s garbage" pollute the room's atmosphere.   They hate it before it starts.  Its just thirty-somethings trying not to sound old!

slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:06

Wrath Of Ninian:

way to go!

I despise tribute bands, but I think The Musical Box is something beyond a tribute band. They're a musical/theatrical re-creation, and they do it honorably. I saw them do 'The Lamb...' in NYC (back in NYC!) in December, fourth row center, and it was more than worth every single penny. Please report back on your impressions of the show, OK?

...it is real...it is Rael...
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 12:10
I just met another progfan and we both are kicking ourselves for missing them when they came to town. Enjoy yourselves!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 12:56

I saw them is So Cal in Dec too, WON. Worth every penny and then some.  They just transform you to another place so smoothly.  Just sit back and enjoy this music "live' again.  TLDOB takes on new form when hearing it live.  These guys are just great.  Can't wait to see them again.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 09:15

Great stuff, I'm looking forward to it now.  They seem to be quite a popular act with Genesis fans, who I imagine would NOT suffer pretenders lightly. 

I shall stick a review up afterwards, although I'm sure there will be plenty of others from the tour.  Perhaps my views as a Genesis 'novice' will be of some worth to other potential newbies.

I'm off now to listen to the album again - in my opinion it still blows the other Genesis stuff clean out of the water, although I imagine that is view not shared by many.  And yes, the thought of seeing performed live did certainly appeal, regardless of the proposed visuals!  Although, I imagine its as close as I'll get to genuine 1970s prog concert (despite my beloved PFM coming mightily close in 2003).  

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:25
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

Although, I imagine its as close as I'll get to genuine 1970s prog concert (despite my beloved PFM coming mightily close in 2003).  

I am seeing PFM at The Nearfest Legends Preshow in July with Protokaw as the opening act.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:16

You are lucky indeed - I'm having to fly to Montreal to see them in July...

They are absolutely amazing live, considering they are all in their fifties now.  They still sound the fantastic and fresh, if a little more refined (except for di Cioccio of course - nothing he ever did was refined).

Prepare to be mesmerised...

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:39
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

You are lucky indeed - I'm having to fly to Montreal to see them in July...

They are absolutely amazing live, considering they are all in their fifties now.  They still sound the fantastic and fresh, if a little more refined (except for di Cioccio of course - nothing he ever did was refined).

Prepare to be mesmerised...

Well not so lucky, have to fly from California to Bethlehem,PA almost the whole country to see them.  I am looking forward to Protokaw too.  From all reports they have played some great concerts (I am seeing them next month first). This is the best Pre Show they have had to date.  Too bad Sony Italy is not letting PFM get filmed. Chad from the Nearfest staff posted this a few days ago on another site  "However, I am meeting with Studio M on Wednesday night to discuss video ideas for the weekend, possibly utilizing their three new HD cameras. Drool... " I guess PK is going to get a DVD out of this.

I never had the chance to see PFM back in the 70's, the last time they played America. Have to hand it to those Nearfest people they have put on some great festivals.  Did you know Le Orme is also playing Nearfest this year?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 15:43

Wow!  Sounds like those guys know what they're talking about. Although I've not heard much Orme, what I have heard is pretty good, if not in the same vein as PFM. 

I just missed the Voghera festival in Italy last year, which was PFM was co-headlining with Yes (missed it by 2 days, when I was working out in Sicily and had a flight booked back to UK).  Next time such rareties happen, I wont spare the air fare.  It doesn't matter what you do to get there, you'll NEVER regret going to see PFM.  I've yet to realise my dream of seeing them in Italy, where they play to 35,000+

Flavio Premoli last year.  Dont worry, thats not his only keyboard!  He has a stack of moogs and hammonds to his right...

Lord Jackolas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 16:14

Originally posted by Metropolis Metropolis wrote:

I'm going to see them in Glasgow and I'm only 19, can't wait

Im 14 and im going to see them in Southampton!

You think you guys got it bad. Most of my friends have never even heard of Prog Rock!

Philrod View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 19:35

I am 17 and going in Montreal!!!!

I am so excited!!!

Post Reply Post Reply