Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiles Live @ Record Time 2/2/08
    Posted: February 03 2008 at 12:06
Hi All,

I had the pleasure of seeing local Heavy Prog band Tiles play a set at the Record Time music store located in Roseville, Michigan last night, February 2, 2008 (Groundhog's Day here in the USA).  Let me just say that the groundhog did see his shadow from the great light emanating from the band and according to folklore this means that prog rock fans will be subject to many more weeks of great live prog rock music from Tiles. 

Their new CD Fly Paper was released on Tuesday, January 29th and the show was in a sense a CD release party for family and friends and a few party crashers such as myself who were thrilled at the opportunity to see them play live up close and personal.  Their set lasted about an hour and included 8 songs with a 1 song encore.  They played 3 songs from their new album, and the remaining songs were from their catalogue.  The setlist was as follows:

1. Cactus Valley (from Fence the Clear)
2. Modification (from Presents of Mind)
3. Remember to Forget (from Window Dressing)
4. Hide and Seek (from Fly Paper)
5. Sacred and Mundane (from Fly Paper; this is the track Alex Lifeson plays on, so I am sure he was there in spirit).
6. Dress Rehearsal (from their Self-titled album)
7. Capture the Flag (from Window Dressing)
8. Landscrape (from Fly Paper)
Encore - Patterns (from Fence the Clear)

The guys were definitely having a fun time on stage and interacting with the crowd, which as I mentioned above was made up of mostly friends and family.  I was able to meet the guys after the show and told them that I would write a review of the show for them on PA.  They told me to go easy on them with the review since it was really more of a public rehearsal then it was a full-fledged concert.  Nothing to worry about.  They sounded excellent.  Quite frankly, for me it was quite a thrill to see a concert so up close and personal of a band playing their original music, which I generally only get to hear through my headphone or blasting out of the car stereo. 

Their next show is Sunday March 9th at the Magic Bag in Ferndale.  They will be playing with Matthew Parmenter's band Discipline, which I believe have reunited.  Matthew Parmenter has appeared as a guest on many of their albums playing violins, and on their most recent album playing hammond organ.  For this show, their set will be expanded for a full-fledged concert.  According to the band, they will be playing some dates in the midwestern USA, as well as possibly touring as the opening act for another well-know prog rock/metal band. 

If you are in the area or if they come to your area I highly recommend that you try and make it out to see them.  If you are not familiar with their sound, I highly recommend them to fans of bands like Rush, Enchant and Shadow Gallery.  They also had a supporting spot on a previous Dream Theater tour, so they might also appeal to fans of Dream Theater.

I took some pictures from the show so I will try and post them, but I am going to have to try and figure out how to do that.

Edited by rushfan4 - February 03 2008 at 13:19
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 13:34

Mark Evans Drumkit

Side view of the stage

Vocalist Paul Rarick

Guitarist Chris Herin

The Band

From Left to Right: Drummer Mark Evans, Bassist Jeff Whittle, Guitarist Chris Herin, and Lead Vocalist Paul Rarick posing for a picture after their set.

Edited by rushfan4 - February 03 2008 at 13:39
TilesChris View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 22:07
Hey RushFan4...

Thanks for coming out to Record Time and sticking around to chat.... it was nice meeting you and also thanks for the show synopsis & photos.  We had fun knocking the rust off and appreciate the support from fans, friends and family.   The store sold out of Fly Paper (33 copies) and we've been really pleased with the initial reception to our new CD.  Rehearsals continue this week and we look forward to the first "real" show March 9th at the Magic Bag in Detroit.

I have just one small point to clarify in your original post.... when we were talking I meant to say if "Fly Paper" does very well then we might have a shot at an opening spot on a larger tour.  I didn't mean to imply that our appearance this year on a major tour was in the works.... sorry!  We're sticking close to home for awhile & are working on plans for some shows throughout the midwest and northeast.

Anyway, thanks again - and thanks for introducing me to Prog Archives... I've got some snooping around to do!

Chris

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 23:16
Chris,

Thank you for signing up for Prog Archives and checking it out.  Also, thank you for the clarification.  I tend to be a bit superstitious so I did say "possibly" and I didn't mention the band that you mentioned because I didn't want to do anything to jinx you guys.  But I certainly hope that the Fly Paper sales are strong and that you do get the chance for an opening slot on a larger tour. 

Scott
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 00:04
Scott: Nice review of the band.  I must admit I hadn't heard of them before, but I checked out their music and really like it.  Thumbs%20Up

Chris:  It's nice to see you here, I hope you like it.  I'll try to keep updated, but do you know if you guys are coming by Seattle anytime in the future?
ES335 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 23:47
Wow, good to hear about some local prog. I'll try to make it by the Bag on the 9th, but have a baby due the 14th, so I'm not sure my wife will let me out. If not, see you in about 16 years....
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 17:10
Great review!  I saw Tiles in 2005 at Calptrog and they were very good. Glad to hear they are still alive and kicking. They were all very good guys although they had Pat Deleon not Mark at the time.   I will have to check out the new CD. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 01:13
Tiles ROCKS!

Single Coil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 10:10
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Tiles ROCKS!
I agree. I've got every one of their CDs.
They could probably do a spectacular "Best Of" compilation right about now.

If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!
 Post Reply Post Reply