Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 00:20
Originally posted by Stormcrow Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Don't like Jon Anderson's lyrics? Don't listen to Yes. But don't tell me that the words that inspire and move me (and others) are "cheesy." We all like different things. If you are home watching football, while I am watching "Pirates of the Caribean," what of it? Am I therefore less grounded in reality that you, or do I fall outside your defintion of what it means to be a man? Should we all like the same things? Ying Yang

Peter - I like both prog rock and football.  But who could make the case that football (or hockey or baseball or soccer or basketball or auto racing or whichever) has any more relevence to reality than does prog or jazz or reading novels?

Storm, and other sports fans: I meant no slight againt your choice of entertainment. I was merely trying (awkwardly, perhaps) to illustrate a point about the wide range of tastes in entertainment (and the validity of all those that don't hurt others), by way of saying that we can still respect one another -- even be friends. We can simply elect to talk about something else, or to politely nod when our buddy waxes poetic about something we have no real interest in, or strongly opposing views toward. I know that a love of sports is in no way incompatible with a fondness for prog and/or literature!

My oldest and dearest "prog" friend (who recently signed on here), whose tastes in prog were formed along with mine, and remain very similar, is also an avid sports fan and participant. Still, there is more that we commonly hold dear, than there are things that "divide" us. Ying Yang We may not get together to "watch the game," but we can get together to spin some tunes and have a few beer, or go hiking, canoeing or cross-country skiing -- yes, I do get some exercise!GeekLOL

Anyway, I don't think that you were offended by what I wrote (which could easily have been seen as stereotyping), but in case you or others were, my humble apologies!Smile

Enjoy the game!

Peter

PS: Re the idiot that told you reading was "queer," Angry **** him! Censored

The world unfortunately contains many morons -- how else can we account for its sorry state?Wink

"There are none so blind as those that will not see." Stern Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 02:02

All:

Going back to VB's original thoughts (bet some of you forgot what they were...) about "traditional elements and motifs" in prog, and specifically "borrowing from the classics," I offer two comments.

First, the "official" definition of prog, per this site (whether one agrees with it or not) is music that combines "rock, classical, psychedelic and literary elements..."  Thus, the use of classical elements is, by definition, part of prog.  I have posited that it is not simply classical elements, but an actual "orchestral" approach to songwriting that helps make prog "prog"; i.e., rather than simply "stacking" a bass note, a guitar chord, a drum beat, a vocal and even a simple keyboard line, prog groups use a more truly "classical" approach to composition, including interweaving melodies, counterpoint, polyrhythms, etc.

Believe it or not (and I suppose it isn't that hard to understand), many classical "purists" are actually turned off to prog (or at least some of it) for this very reason: because they consider the "orchestral" approach in prog as sort of "half way," it is scoffed at as "naive" or "lazy" (and, in many cases, downright bad).  Even if all of us were to agree that ELP's interpretation of Pictures at an Exhibition is a prog masterpiece, a purist cannot appreciate it at all: to them, it is the musical equivalent of blasphemy.  I (and, I'm sure, most of us) can appreciate the difference between a "formal" interpretation of the piece and ELP's approach, and can enjoy - and even respect - both.  But don't ask a classical purist to understand that sentiment. (And this does not address the purists' understandable annoyance at the number of times that classical pieces are "quoted" in prog without credit to the original composer...)

Second, re lyrics, again we go to the "official" definition and find "literary elements."  Sometimes they are overt (direct quotes from literary works, etc.), and sometimes they are more obscure (lyrics that "attempt" to be literary).  In both cases, I think we would agree that some are more "successful" than others.

Re direct quotes, one thing that has not been noted is that their use can bring listeners to seek out the sources.  This, in turn, can (and often does) bring a person to actually read the source: whether a Shakespeare play, a Greek myth, a philosophical work, etc.  Needless to say, this can only be a good thing.

Re lyrics that attempt to be literary, I, for one, usually do not mind them.  For example, what on earth does "Can Utility and the Coastliners" refer to?  What do the lyrics mean?  For that matter, what do most of Jon Anderson's lyrics mean?Personally, I don't actually care: the lyrics are interesting, "quasi"-literary, and work well with the music.  What more do they need to be or do?

Peace.

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 04:40

Anyway, I don't think that you were offended by what I wrote

Not in the least, offended.  In my own loveable way, I was agreeing with you and attempting to further expand your point.

PS: Re the idiot that told you reading was "queer," Angry **** him! Censored

The world unfortunately contains many morons -- how else can we account for its sorry state?Wink

"There are none so blind as those that will not see." Stern Smile

Unfortunately,   him was the only available conclusion in that arguement left open to me.

<SMILIE>

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 07:28
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Re lyrics that attempt to be literary, I, for one, usually do not mind them.  For example, what on earth does "Can Utility and the Coastliners" refer to?  What do the lyrics mean? 

Maani, I don't know about the title, but the lyrics themselves are based on an old English legend of a Middle Ages king who tried to demonstrate his earthly power by commanding the tides, only to have the incoming seas drown him. As such, they make sense.

Maani, now that you've been "handed the keys to the kingdom," as it were, and have "supreme executive power" here, (not even "derived from a mandate from the masses") try not to go absolutely mad with power! Wink

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"LOL

He chortled in his joy.
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 07:35

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"LOL

Repressive Rock?

Ugh!   <SMILIE>

Edited by Stormcrow
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 08:48

When I get my band together, we plan to play tons of inane quotes by monty python, like the one above...

Get back here, I'll bite your legs off!!!!!!

dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 09:07
I find it sad that so many men find reading "Unmanly" when probably most of the great works of literiture were written BY men anyway. Shakespeare or Dickins,Bradbury,Etc were DEFINATELY NOT  any the less Men for having passed their thoughts on to us. And we are not any the less men for reading them!
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 09:56
Originally posted by Stormcrow Stormcrow wrote:

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"LOL

Repressive Rock?

Ugh!   <SMILIE>

MONTY PYTHON QUOTES!

W00T!!!

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 11:08
Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

When I get my band together, we plan to play tons of inane quotes by monty python, like the one above...

Get back here, I'll bite your legs off!!!!!!

"Arthur? King of the Britons? Well I didn't vote for you." I grew up with this humour, my mother was Scottish and my dad is a Yorkshireman so you can imagine what the family get togethers are like, mix in the relatives from South Africa and Australia ("Australia! Australia! We love you! We love you!") and you have a regular war! Much of Python humour is so abstract that you can't even put it into words. Either you get it or you don't! Thanks Maani for the thoughtful comments. I think that you hit the nail on the head. Different people get different things out of this music. And it is a good thing. My wife is an extremely gifted classical musician and teacher but try and get her to appreciate UFO by Guru Guru. Forget it! The thing which really bothers me though is that I love classical music and understand it but for her it is some sort of religion. I revel in the fact that I can go and see Dream Theater (wich I did last week here in Montréal) and take it for what it is without pointing my nose upwards. That guitar player had some drop dead riffs! In starting this thread my very thoughts were that as enthusiasts of this style of music we have very open minds and we are lucky in that respect. A very good friend of mine used to always say when listening, for example, to a very well thought out and  esoteric Robert Fripp idea "We are a member of a very elite club, we are the knowing ones. " Sometimes the music speaks for itself without words. You just sit there and nod your head in approval or disapproval. Your comments reflected the spirit of the thread's intensions. I`ve read the sentiments of those who took the time to offer comments about ELP`s interpretation of Pictures At An Exhibition in the archives & I would appreciate any further comments about this and other works that have been incorporated by modern musicians.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 13:14

again... going back to the main question:

i do think that using different kinds of instruments help imporve the music and the moood involved in it, also, helps going a little bit further with the knowledge of music and history, perhaps, many of the ancient instruments can be emulated with good keybords, but playing thos instruments is mesmerizing, in many cases, the music gets another level of richness and colors, like the music of Peter Gabriel for the movie (the last temptation of Christ), using Dhobros, djembes, double violins etc. or the case of jethro tull with the flutes and other wind instruments. Trying to use different kind of instruments is sometimes using a wider gamma of colors for the music, with "textures". Also using a wider use of the language is marvellous, beacuse it makes you think more and gets you involved with several aspects of the past lives.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 00:30

Peter:

Not to worry...I promise to be a benevolent dictator...

Besides, although Max has given me a long leash, he can always yank it if I get out of line!

Peace.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 21:10
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Peter:

Not to worry...I promise to be a benevolent dictator...

Besides, although Max has given me a long leash, he can always yank it if I get out of line!

Peace.

Just be careful.  My dog gets tangled up in his long leash all the time! Wink

He chortled in his joy.
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 03:36

Just to be a Devil's Advocate , isn't using classical music excessively in prog music a bit lazy? Taking a lead or borrowing a style is one thing, but continuously re-hashing the Classics a la ELP could be construed as lacking in original writing talent.

I love ELP's 'Pictures At An Exhibition' (listened to it yesterday, as a matter of fact) and I also love their versions of 'Jerusalem', 'Toccata' and 'Fanfare For The Common Man', plus Emerson's versions of 'America', 'The Pathetique' and 'Intermezzo' from the Karelia Suite when he was with The Nice. But should a prog band or musician continuously rehash the Classics?

Is Banco's ...Di Terra more honest?

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 06:33
Originally posted by Fitzcarraldo Fitzcarraldo wrote:

Just to be a Devil's Advocate , isn't using classical music excessively in prog music a bit lazy? Taking a lead or borrowing a style is one thing, but continuously re-hashing the Classics a la ELP could be construed as lacking in original writing talent.

I love ELP's 'Pictures At An Exhibition' (listened to it yesterday, as a matter of fact) and I also love their versions of 'Jerusalem', 'Toccata' and 'Fanfare For The Common Man', plus Emerson's versions of 'America', 'The Pathetique' and 'Intermezzo' from the Karelia Suite when he was with The Nice. But should a prog band or musician continuously rehash the Classics?

Is Banco's ...Di Terra more honest?

"Rehashing the classics" has been going on for the entire history of music.

In just the "classical" period (romantic, classical, baroque), everyone and his pet raccoon tried their hand at some kind of "variation on a theme by....".  Expanding on someone else's musical work is a time honored tradition and perfectly legitimate, IMO.

Also look at all the 50-60-70 year old blues songs that were updated and electrified in the 60's and 70's by rock bands like Cream.  In the blues genre it's self, taking someone else's song and expanding/rearranging it to make it your own is common and expected.

Now that being said, ripping off someone else's work, i.e. incorporating an obscure romantic era theme with no effort to credit the original composer is cheesy and just wrong.  But I don't see (or hear) anything basically wrong in "rehashing" a work that you admire, as long as you give it a certain amount of respect.

Keith Emerson is almost as responsible as my piano instructor was in nuturing my own love of "classical" music as it is today.

BTW, Fitzcarraldo, please don't take this as me trying to bag on you personally.  I read your "Devil's advocate" statement.  <SMILIE> It's just me expressing my own feelings on the subject.

Edited by Stormcrow
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 13:19

Stormcrow,

No offence taken at all - I'm glad to read your opinion and reasoned argument. It's nice to be able to discuss these things with fellow admirers of the genre, even if we don't all necessarily have exactly the same tastes in bands. And it's good to play the Devil's Advocate on occasion too if it sparks off some debate.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 16:32

I agree with you on that one, Stormcrow - I hate it when I hear a piece written for the orchestra suddenly sprout drums, electric guitars and synths. For me, that treatment somehow cheapens the work - and that includes ELPs murdering of Mussorgsky. I have only heard one rock reworking of a "classic" that does anything for me other than make me reach for the off button. And that includes the over-talented Sky.

However, when the "classics" are borrowed from and extended, rather than lazily plagiarised, the end results can be superb - e.g. Genesis, Gentle Giant and Gryphon. A successful genre cross-over can make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and a shiver run down my spine, and an unsuccessful one will normally elicit a "Nice try - don't stop trying!" (but the off button may still be utilised...).

Oh, I nearly forgot - the one rock reworking of a "classic" that makes me come back for more - nay, has me BEGGING for more, is by none other than the master of dumbed-down naff musicals himself, Andrew Lloyd Webber. NO - REALLY!!! His variations on a theme of Paganini's Caprice in A minor (used as theme music to The South Bank Show) are for the main part truly awesome. He enlisted some serious talent in the form of Gary Moore, Phil Collins, Herbie Flowers, Mary Hopkin - er, and his brother... one or two sections suck, but for the main, it's PROG, MAN!!!! Everything from "Classical" to "jazz" to folk to ROCK. Actually, this fits the rework category MUCH better than the "Stick it to a beat and add guitars" category.

...I'm gonna go and listen to it now!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12