Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGodspeed You! Black Emperor are no more

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 13:39
Haha.. too right. Too bad you're gonna regret it when you've heard their albums and they are your favourite band ever! :)

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/48600-godspeed-still-on-hiatus-not-completely-broken-up

Seems there is a different version to this; the original article wasn't accurate.

Thanks for the article. As unlikely as a reunion is looking, at least hope is there. One of my favourite  bands so I hope I see them live one day.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 22:06
^I guess that was what sucked most about only getting into them last month, was that my hope of ever seeing them live has been shattered.
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 22:26
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

but A Silver Mt Zion is just as good.

*they're better*

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 08:44
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

^I guess that was what sucked most about only getting into them last month, was that my hope of ever seeing them live has been shattered.

Yeah, same here, it was only last fall when I really got into them. I'll always hope they get back together, because what I've heard of them live is incredible.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 09:11
lolwut

it seems they're back to "hiatus" status rather than broken up

Godspeed Still on Hiatus, Not Completely Broken Up
"If and when we do call it quits permanently, it won't be because of the Iraq war."

Photo: Eva Vermandel

Godspeed You! Black Emperor-- now there's a great band we haven't heard from in awhile. The Canadian collective has been on "indefinite hiatus" for the past five-or-so years. Members of the band have kept busy with various musical projects since then, the most high-profile being Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La-Band, which features Godspeed members Efrim Menuck, Thierry Amar, and Sophie Trudeau.

Over the weekend, GY!BE popped back up on our radar, thanks to a Drowned in Sound interview with Menuck. The interview was in support of the excellent new Silver Mt. Zion album, 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons, which comes out March 25 on Constellation. (The band will tour this spring; see below for dates.)

In the interview, Menuck commented on the political and personal factors that lead to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's hiatus, including frustrations brought on by the war in Iraq. Drowned in Sound titled their story "Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Iraq war made it impossible to continue". Word spread quickly across the internet that the band had finally, officially, called it quits, and the Iraq war was the reason.

But the truth isn't that cut-and-dry.

Here's what Drowned in Sound quotes Menuck as saying (brackets theirs):

"The last American tour that Godspeed did was in the run up to the current war in Iraq. For what Godspeed did, it was very difficult for us to work out a way for us to communicate directly with the audience about what was going on. We would talk to people after the shows, or we could make announcements from the stage but so much what Godspeed was, was one-way communication. And I had an existential freak-out about that. That those tactics aren't valid anymore. People didn't need a rock band pointing in the direction of [how the world was at that point]. Maybe what they needed is some clumsy words, a presentation that was a little more human."

"On a personal level I now find [Godspeed You! Black Emperor] to be inappropriate [to do]. There's a complicated back story. I reached a point whereby I was no longer willing to contribute to the steering of the ship; it was like, 'Okay now, someone else point the direction, I love all of you, but I need to ride shotgun for a while'. I think that bands do have a short shelf life... they should be able to ply their trade 'til they no longer want to."

It's true-- it can be very difficult to stay in any band for any length of time, let alone one deeply committed to its political beliefs that was once suspected by police of being terrorists. But Menuck never actually came out and said that Godspeed You! Black Emperor are completely over.

When contacted by Pitchfork, Menuck gave the following statement via Silver Mt. Zion's publicist:

"The Drowned in Sound thing is a misquote, I'm in the middle of dealing with it now. It's true, Godspeed hasn't existed for years, we've been on permanent hiatus since 2002. If and when we do call it quits permanently, it won't be because of the Iraq war."

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 10:21
"http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/48600-godspeed-still-on-hiatus-not-completely-broken-up

It seems they're back to "hiatus" status rather than broken up."

... Which doesn't help much, actually. As Efrim said himself in DiS, and wasn't misquoted on this, a band can't survive a hyatus for too long. I hope that GY!BE will go on, but if there's going to ba a next studio album by them, it will be more like a reunion than a continuetion of their discography.

Kind regards.

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 10:45
How nice he seemed to treat the misquote this time. His "open-letter response" to the OOR-magazine interview in 2001 is essential reading for all Godspeed fans.

"you struck me as a lost, weak, lonely man and i felt a fair amount of misguided empathy towards you... i now regret feeling anything at all, and i wish you nothing but continued misery, loneliness and despair..."

[urlhttp://brainwashed.com/godspeed/text.html][/url]

Great stuff.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Antennas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 19:59
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Antennas Antennas wrote:

That totally, entirely SUCKS... Shocked Cry Cry 

One of the few bands that indeed fully deserved the name PROGRESSIVE...

few?!

Yes, few - in terms of truly progressive. There are many bands getting that title but only few deserve it in the true meaning of the word. Wink 

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123