Topic ClosedKansas- "2 for the Show" Re-mastered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas- "2 for the Show" Re-mastered
    Posted: February 09 2008 at 14:05

I get asked about this a lot and finally have some news!  This was supposed to happen in 2005.  It will finally happen in 2008 according to www.Kansasband.com and Sony! 

"Sony has just announced they have the re-mastered Two for the Show scheduled for release May 2008.  More details to come."

Can't wait to hear this treasure re-mastered. 
Clap

BTW if you stop by Kansasband.com they have a short video of the band perfoming Hold On with the Topeka Symphony Orcestra at a concert in Janurary 2008.

Edited by Garion81 - February 10 2008 at 19:25

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 16:17
That is great news!
The CD I have is missing "Closet Chronicles" due to time programming, so I hope it will be added this time.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 17:09
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

That is great news!
The CD I have is missing "Closet Chronicles" due to time programming, so I hope it will be added this time.

I was going to say exactly the same thing!
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 20:52
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

That is great news!

I was going to say exactly the same thing!
this is great news, Closet Chronicles was my favorite out of the whole set.  Maybe they'll add some more additional material, either way I'll be looking forward to it. Thumbs%20Up
Signature Writers Guild on strike
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 21:42
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I get asked about this a lot and finally have some news!  This was supposed to happen in 2005.  It will finally happen in 2008 according to www.Kansasfans.com and Sony! 

"Sony has just announced they have the re-mastered Two for the Show scheduled for release May 2008.  More details to come."

Can't wait to hear this treasure re-mastered. 
Clap

BTW if you stop by Kansasband.com they have a short video of the band perfoming Hold On with the Topeka Symphony Orcestra at a concert in Janurary 2008.

FINALLY!!!!! I hope they have an enhanced booklet, too. And, yes, "Closet Chronicles" should be added.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:24
What's up with that website? I signed up, got a username and password, went to post in the forum, it asks me to sign in and it rejects it saying that username and email address doesn't match with the passoword. It lets me log into the site, however. Strange that it would ask me to log into the forum when I'm already logged in...but then reject it.

Just make it simple, guys!

E
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:41
^
Did you go to Kansasband or Kansasfans?  Kansasband.com has the video.
 Kansasfans moved to a different provider and in an effort to stop hacking (big problem they had) he used a separate forum program.  So yes you need an account for the site and another for the forum.  When you go to post it will promt you for your user name and password.  Make sure you use the forum account.  The main site you can stay logged in all the time.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

^
Did you go to Kansasband or Kansasfans?  Kansasband.com has the video.
 Kansasfans moved to a different provider and in an effort to stop hacking (big problem they had) he used a separate forum program.  So yes you need an account for the site and another for the forum.  When you go to post it will promt you for your user name and password.  Make sure you use the forum account.  The main site you can stay logged in all the time.

I just clicked on the link that you had in your original post. Not a big deal. Somebody started a Marillion thread and wanted to chime in. Big%20smile

E
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 19:24
Opps my fault I put the wrong link in.  Embarrassed I corrected it. 

Edited by Garion81 - February 10 2008 at 19:26

silversaw View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 01:28
I was really happy with the re-vamped sound quality on Kansas (1974) through to Point Of Know Return (1977) but I have to say that the bonus tracks were pretty lame.  Leftoverture and Point could have easily been expanded to double discs to include all kinds of interesting live material and demo material.  Two For the Show I am actually looking forward to however and if this isn't expanded to include the full show I will cry!!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 11:49
Originally posted by silversaw silversaw wrote:

I was really happy with the re-vamped sound quality on Kansas (1974) through to Point Of Know Return (1977) but I have to say that the bonus tracks were pretty lame.  Leftoverture and Point could have easily been expanded to double discs to include all kinds of interesting live material and demo material.  Two For the Show I am actually looking forward to however and if this isn't expanded to include the full show I will cry!!

First of all the band does not control these projects Sony does and they would be a whole lot worse if the band did not participate in the process. There isn't a lot of demos.  There are some surrounding the Vinyl Confessions sessions right before Steve left and the original demos that White Clover did when they first sent it in to Don Kirshner like the Can I Tell you demo on the box set.  but prior to that there would have only been rehearsal tapes like the Child of Innocence one on the Masque . They have lots of live stuff but most of that can already be found on bootleg.   The band, mainly Phil Erhart, gets involved to try and make it a good package, make sure the remastered sound is good and the liner notes are accurate. I am not sure if they control bonus material or not.     

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 17:59
This album really got me into Kansas big time when I was just a teenager I have had the original CD for awhile and I took it upon myself to re masterd it awhile ago not expecting it would ever be officially released since 2005 is a long time ago. My remastered version turned out wonderful peaks at 98 db no clipping the bandwidth is full yet there's not that much compression used to get the results. I don't buy re masters anymore if I own the original recording, I just do my "thing".  working with wav files is the ticket I dont use mp3's.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 18:35
^ That is one way to do it but these remaster projects involve using the original master tapes and it is also a bit of a remix as well.  Not sure who was slated to this one but original producer Jeff Glixman did Point of Know Return and Leftoverture and those turned out great.  On top of that this will reunite the "lost" song of Closet Chronicles that was originally on the album but would fit on the first CD.  That has been available on the remastered Best of Kansas CD though.  Wink

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 20:36
Wow, Kansas was the first band I ever saw live and that was the era.  That album got a lot of play in my family.  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:37

One of the most powerful prog live albums from the 70s. I hope this remastered edition brings a double-CD format, a meticulously-informed booklet with extra pohotos (besides the ones already in the original vinyl), and who knows, extra songs (perhaps 3 or 4 tracks that they played on stage but didn't make it to the vinyl - did the yplay 'The Spider' before 'Portarit'?, a couple of songs with Steinhardt being the lead vocalist... didn't they play 'Hopelessly Human', 'Down the Road' or 'Miracles Out of Nowhere' on that tour?, didn't they make some blues-rock jam with Walsh on congas like they did in their "Masque" tour?).

I wonder if I'm being too prog-greedy...  Ermm

Kind regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply