Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow does PA rank albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 01:04
This one has exactly 200 characters:

This is one of my favorite albums; clearly influenced  by  Genesis, Yes, King Crimson and Pink Floyd. The keyboards are lush, and the guitarist is a real virtuoso.

Has to be a top 10, sadly underrated.

In the Symphonic team we seen many like this one, if you don't believe me, ask Micky, Raff, HR, Gecko, Bob and every member who has worked with us. 

What is worst, we've seen similar aberrations as bios. Confused We replaced the bios, but nothing can be done with the reviews.

As you must have noticed, this could be any album, the reviewer may or may not heard the album.

I believe the limit should be raised to 800 characters, it's only one big parragraph.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 13 2008 at 01:11

ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 02:57

Reading all your point of views here, I'll refair to it generally:

Obviousely if you write a review, you are willing to influence the rating. Its like voting, you want your vote to influence on the final results. With those ranks of about 10,000 for a collabs/PR, and about 0.0001 for the rest, its realy hard to influence on the final rating.

Personally, I dont pay much attention anymore on the ratings: I look for the percents that are given, and then "low" it a little bit, assuming that peaple that rate/review would frequently have a positive opinion about the album, but other opinions could exist also...

I assume that another method to solve the problems of impropriate rating/reviews could be taken, rather than the existing ones. Without the nessecity to read everyone's review, to decide if he/she is a 'decent' member or not.

On the one hand, I could say that these issues, along with reviews representation, are not that important. but on the other hand, such things in general would result in less and less enjoyment for visiting and surfing in this site.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 03:05
Seeing how this discussion is going, I invite people who like ratings only and/or short reviews to submit those on my website, and post the lengthy reviews here. Smile
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Seeing how this discussion is going, I invite people who like ratings only and/or short reviews to submit those on my website, and post the lengthy reviews here. Smile

I might just go and add some more ratings, if only I could access the acount once moreEmbarrassed

forgot my name and password. It's a pretty nice site btw.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 02:36
my only issue with the reviews is that mine, me being a being non collab non-reviewer, have little chance of actully being read. i like my reviews. i like what i wrote. i want others to like it or at least hear my opinion. thats why i posted it. I wish that, instead of the current viewing system (collabs and reviewers listed on the left in full, the rest to the side, minimized) that there was some sort of random draw to display a random review or two about the album. That at least would make me feel a little bit better about spending the time to write a review. maybe someone will get something out of it. im trying to focus on some unheard of's so my opinion can start to matter! Wink
apart from that little issue, i think the wieghts are fine.  
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 03:36
@ Keiser Wilhelm: this may surprise you, but I often read non-collab reviews, especially before I start reviewing an album, in order to get as complete a view as  I can of people's opinions. Personally, I have never been in favour of the current layout of reviews, but my opinion was probably not enough to change anything.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 06:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

seeing how promotions to Prog Reviewer and Colabs is NOT a popularity contest.. but based on ...ahhhh.. your damn skills as a reviewer and your knowledge of prog.  Silly me... reason enough they should... and DO... count more. If I had my way though... and have proposed it to empty auditoriums in the collab area LOL.. is eliminating ratings altogether.  It is what is written that matters...  not an arbitrary rating.. usually given with NO other thought given than to whether someone  liked the album or not... and who really gives a sh*t about that.  We want to know about the albums.. not whether some guy who none of us knows, likes it or not. 

bah..... 

I know what you mean and I agree to a point but I wouldn't go as far as doing away with ratings altogether; they're quite useful for an at a glance view of the more popular albums by an artist but what I think would be a good idea is to do away with ratings without a review, after all how easy is it just to pick a number on a dozen albums with relatively litlle thought about the content. Sometimes I'll start a review with a rating in mind and by the time I've finished,after much listening and thought I've awarded it a star more or less than originally intended.

Something that I think is worth changing is when a review is acompanied by This is the first review of this album caption at the top of the review. That's quite useful to know but it only appears if the album hasn't been rated at all. I've reviewed a number of albums myself that actually are the first review but because they have been previously rated only this doesn't come up. This is not about basking in the glory of being the first reviewer but it's basically misleading.

I think Prog Reviewers and Collaborators should carry more clout with their reviews but perhaps not quite as much as they do at present. Perhaps if I'm ever promoted to Prog Reviewer I'll change my mind Wink

Edited by Nightfly - March 14 2008 at 06:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12