Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummers End, Lydney UK, news (Tangent,Magenta)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summers End, Lydney UK, news (Tangent,Magenta)
    Posted: March 13 2008 at 10:14

We are delighted to confirm The Tangent and Magenta as the latest major additions to the Festival.

The Tangent have just released their fourth album “Not as Good as the Book”, which is being hailed as their finest yet.  This Summers End appearance will feature a five-piece line up of Andy Tillison (keyboards, vocals), Jakko M. Jakszyk (guitar, vocals), Jonas Reingold (bass), Jaime Salazaar (drums) and Theo Travis (flute, sax).  The band will headline the Sunday night of the Festival, September 28th.

http://thetangent.org

Magenta have released 3 albums to wide critical acclaim since forming in 2001, and their latest, the remarkable “Metamorphosis”, will be released on April 21st.  Well known for their high energy live performances, the band have thrilled audiences all over the world, including appearances at Baja Prog, Rosfest and Nearfest. The band will occupy the Special Guest slot on Saturday 27th September just prior to IQs headline appearance.

www.magenta-web.com

The current festival line up now looks like this, with 7 bands still to be announced:

Friday 26th September  - Threshold (headliner)  www.thresh.net

Saturday 27th  - IQ (headliner) www.gep.co.uk/iq

Saturday 27th – Magenta (special guests) www.magenta-web.com

Sunday 28th – The Tangent (headliner) http://tangent.org

Sunday 28th – Frost* (special guests) http://thenewcube.blogspot.com/

The 2008 festival will take place on the evening of Friday 26th, Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th of September, at the Hall, Lydney, with 1, 2 or 3 day tickets available. There are no age restrictions.

More details of the festival, including further bands, ticket sales, accommodation, and sponsorship packages will be released very soon.

Visit us online at www.summersend.co.uk
www.myspace.com/summersendfestival
Join the yahoo group at: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/summersendfestival/
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 10:24
Wow, this is shaping up to be the best line up I've seen at Summers End, cant wait.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 10:45
Ta...we're "quietly chuffed" so far...
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 11:09
^^blimey Andy, we'd better get in there quick with the ticket purchasing...Big%20smile
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 12:12
It might have to wait a little, I'm spending rather a lot on tickets at the momentEmbarrassed

Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 13:23
..and news just in that Guy Manning will also be joining the Tangent at the festival
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 16:20
^Will he be getting a solo spot as well? I was mightily impressed with his performance in '06.

Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 08:13
I doubt it - we're trying not to duplicate as far as we can (except for Threshold, who are a special case) - but I know he'd love to do it given the chance...
Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 19:41

We are delighted to confirm Quidam and Abarax as the latest additions to the Festival.

Quidam were one of the first Polish progressive bands to gain international prominence in the mid 90s.  Their music has always been highly melodic, with flute a major part of their sound, but their recent material has introduced a strong contemporary feel, with great song writing accompanying epic instrumental passages.  Their latest album,  “Alone Together”, released in 2007, has been hailed as their finest yet.  The band will take the third Saturday slot, just prior to Magenta’s appearance.

Having had to postpone their appearance at the festival for a year Abarax, from Germany, will finally take their place in the line up.  The band play symphonic progressive rock with its feet in Pink Floyd territory, typified by the fabulous, fluid guitar of Dennis Grasekamp.  Their album, the concept piece “The Crying of the Whales” is highly recommended. The band will play in the second slot on Saturday afternoon.

We also have exciting news about the headline appearance of the Tangent.  Guy Manning will now take his place in the line up for the festival, meaning that Summers End is likely to be the only live appearance by the full band anywhere in 2008!

The current festival line up now looks like this, with 5 bands still to be announced:

Friday 26th

September  - Threshold ( UK - headliner)  www.thresh.net

Support band TBC

Saturday 27th

IQ (UK - headliner) www.gep.co.uk/iq

Magenta (UK - special guests) www.magenta-web.com

Quidam (Poland ) www.quidam.pl

Abarax (Germany) www.abarax.de

Opening band TBC

Sunday 28th

The Tangent (UK / Sweden - headliner) http://tangent.org

Frost* (UK - special guests) http://thenewcube.blogspot.com/

Other bands TBC

The 2008 festival will take place on the evening of Friday 26th, Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th of September, at the Hall, Lydney, with 1, 2 or 3 day tickets available. There are no age restrictions.

More details of the festival, including further bands, ticket sales, accommodation, and sponsorship packages will be released very soon.

Visit us online at www.summersend.co.uk
www.myspace.com/summersendfestival
Join the yahoo group at: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/summersendfestival/

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 18:10
^^why Lambsie, you are spoiling us....Embarrassed

I'm quite convinced you'll have no problems shifting 400 tickets for that lot...and mine will be one of them....Approve
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 18:25
Yes, we remain "quietly chuffed" about the line up so far...with one or two surprises still to come, I think! Oh, and capacity for the main festival is likely to be 300, rather than 400, to make room for other bands, crew etc, and to make sure we can put in a bit of seating for those of us with less robust knees!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 09:49
Fewer bands per day this time, will the acts be getting longer on stage or are you starting later in the day?

Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 20:22
All we're doing is cutting out the acoustic acts that started the evening session previously.  The idea is to increase the profile of the "Special Guest" bands - give them longer sets and a better sound check.  The long dinner break will now be between the Special Guests and the Headliner.
 Post Reply Post Reply