Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3 Rivers Progressive Rock festival,Pittsburgh,USA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3 Rivers Progressive Rock festival,Pittsburgh,USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 17:30
Well the first night having Spock's Beard and Neal Morse on the same stage right after each other could be kind of historical.  Izz will be good as well.  If I lived there I would buy a ticket.

Smile

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 16:16
ooooohhhh, color me excited.

Spock's Beard followed by Neal Morse...I scored my tickets within moments of finding out that Neal was added.

Golden Spiral, I'm south of the city, about an hour.

I'm giddy at the thought of seeing them both.....

Giddy I tell you, down right giddy.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 18:10
Good for you Roland go see IZZ the next day too. You will not be disappointed.

I'll be seeing Neal a couple weeks after this in California.  No word on a SB concert here yet.  .

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 21:51
Did I say Giddy... :)

Thanks Belgarion...I'm obviously rather excited about The Beard and Neal, though The Flower Kings excite me just as much.  To a lesser extent, I'm looking forward to IZZ and The Rocket Scientists.  Sadly, I know very little about the local Pittsburgh bands, nor the other two nationals (Gong and California Guitar Trio). 

I'll probably end up seeing 7 of the ten bands, all ten is a bit too much time to spend in one place...

Giddy...

For the record, I'm thinking that Neal and the Beard should reunite and play Snow.  To the best of my knowledge, Neal left before there was ever a chance to tour.  Also, I think it's enough of a compromise...I would think it's Christany enough for Neal.

Watch, after all the hype, they won't play together...that would be my luck ;)

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Rubidium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 17:29
Man, what a lineup.  I really wish I could go.  I'm moving to Raleigh in August and was thinking about going to Progday, but I find the lineup there to be rather disappointing, especially when compared to the one at Three Rivers.  Oh well...
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 22:20
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Thanks Belgarion...I'm obviously rather excited about The Beard and Neal, though The Flower Kings excite me just as much.  To a lesser extent, I'm looking forward to IZZ and The Rocket Scientists.  Sadly, I know very little about the local Pittsburgh bands, nor the other two nationals (Gong and California Guitar Trio). 

I'll probably end up seeing 7 of the ten bands, all ten is a bit too much time to spend in one place...

Giddy...

For the record, I'm thinking that Neal and the Beard should reunite and play Snow.  To the best of my knowledge, Neal left before there was ever a chance to tour.  Also, I think it's enough of a compromise...I would think it's Christiania enough for Neal.

Your one of the very few who know what my user name  is from and I have been using it for 12 years! Clap

I think they would play a song.  Neal never left on bad terms but to be fair it the do play together they should play a Snow medley since they never did that one live together.

I have seen both Izz and The Rocket Scientists at Calprog and they are both pretty good.  RS played in 2006 on three weeks notice when Presto Ballets drummer quit and they did pretty good for that little time together.  (The drummer was reading charts) I can imagine time has only made them better.  IZZ is fantastic and I really like that band a lot and am very fortunate they will be back at Calprog again this year. 

Anyway have lots of fun! Saturday the 23rd is my birthday so have a cold one for me. Wink

Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 17:20
I have read this thread with interest, it's good to hear a new Proggy Fest springing to life!

I skipped over to the 3RP website, read all I could then skipped again over to the venue website... where I found this tantalising quote on the home page...
"For the comfort and viewing experience of all our guests, please remain seated during the performance. No standing or dancing is permitted. If you encounter a problem or have a concern, please let us know."

So for you folks lucky enough to attend please keep this in mind........ we wouldn't want you dancing in the aisles, giving standing ovations or generally enjoing yourselves tooooo much!

LOL

I understand concerns about the timing in relation to Progday,  but will follow this with interest, who's  up for 2009?Wink
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 22:02
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Giddy...

For the record, I'm thinking that Neal and the Beard should reunite and play Snow.  To the best of my knowledge, Neal left before there was ever a chance to tour.  Also, I think it's enough of a compromise...I would think it's Christiania enough for Neal.

Your one of the very few who know what my user name  is from and I have been using it for 12 years! Clap

I think they would play a song.  Neal never left on bad terms but to be fair it the do play together they should play a Snow medley since they never did that one live together.

I have seen both Izz and The Rocket Scientists at Calprog and they are both pretty good.  RS played in 2006 on three weeks notice when Presto Ballets drummer quit and they did pretty good for that little time together.  (The drummer was reading charts) I can imagine time has only made them better.  IZZ is fantastic and I really like that band a lot and am very fortunate they will be back at Calprog again this year. 

Anyway have lots of fun! Saturday the 23rd is my birthday so have a cold one for me. Wink

Excellent and happy birthday to you.

Yes, the Belgariad and mallorean are a great  set of books, Shoot, I think I read the third book of te Belgariad in one day on a porch swing.  . o O  (ahh yes, the good old days when I had lots of time)

A Snow medley would be great.  Either way, Neal's solo stuff is fantastic prog music, honestly, I'm a little leery of the potential for preachyness, but I understand, Neal's message is very important to him.  He still is a fantastic musician and songwriter.

All this and The Flower Kings...woowoo.

Seriously, my favorite bands:

1)  Genesis
2)  Spock's Beard
3)  The Flower Kings
4)  Frost*
5)  Dream Theater

Dream Theater used to be 3rd but Systematic Chaos did nothing for me.

Nonetheless, I saw Genesis last year, Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings this year...I'm loving it.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 22:05
As an added bonus, you'll note my ultra cool, custom made icon...I am the Catfish Man.

Giddy

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 00:45
Well my list of favorites go from a long while ago but:

1. Genesis
2. ELP
3. Kansas
4. Return to Forever
5. Yes
6. Mahavishnu Orchestra