Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJune Cleaver & The Steak Knives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 06:57
on a serious note:

the band certainly contains pop elemets but not because it's approaching pop - it's rather using the fenomenon of pop to recunstruct it.

Hence, Eclectic Prog rather than Crossover IMHO.

Analytical crap aside, this is great band and I'm enjoying the music a lot!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 12:36
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

the band certainly contains pop elemets but not because it's approaching pop - it's rather using the fenomenon of pop to recunstruct it.

Hence, Eclectic Prog rather than Crossover IMHO.

Very nicely said, Moris! Clap

I'll be very happy to see this in Eclectic.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 18:02
and let's make it official...  June and the sharp cutting objects are officially accepted to eclectic.

Phil... your find.. your glory.. your credit... if you want to do a bio...  send it to one of us and we'll credit you with the addition.  Might get you a free album or two from the group in return... it does happen you know LOLWink Not as good as the 70's where you got booze, blow, and babes for promoting up and coming groups.. but we take what we can get ahhahah.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ComfortablyNumb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 05:13
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and let's make it official...  June and the sharp cutting objects are officially accepted to eclectic.

Phil... your find.. your glory.. your credit... if you want to do a bio...  send it to one of us and we'll credit you with the addition.  Might get you a free album or two from the group in return... it does happen you know LOLWink Not as good as the 70's where you got booze, blow, and babes for promoting up and coming groups.. but we take what we can get ahhahah.

Bummer, no 3 b's eh?  Well, I suppose an album or two wouldn't be so bad thenWink.  Seriously though, thanks to everyone for listening to, opining about, and, considering and including this cool band.  Thanks Micky for the opportunity to write the bio, I'll do my best to make it worth the read.  I suppose I'll also have to write my first review(s) once the band is placed in the archives.  Thanks again to everyone for taking the time.

CN

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 13:03
excellent... I'm leaving the country next week.. and will be away for some time... send to Greg or Moris and they'll add the group and credit you if I'm gone by the time you get the bio ready.  Thanks.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 13:49
Yep... and post it here too, if you like.  If you can find a band pic, album pic, and have the time to prepare the  info for the album page as well, that would be even more great (full credit for everything, of course).  It only takes a short time for us to add the album and band page once it has been prepared (copy and paste).  It's a matter of checking the format of existing band/ album pages if you haven't done this stuff before.

It was my pleasure to take the time because I really enjoy the music.  And thanks for being open to doing the bio.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:37
Just an update on the bio.  I contacted Chris Bradley (one of the brains/brothers behind JCSK) for some extra tidbits of info for the bio, and am awaiting some images from the other brain/brother, Pat Bradley.  Hopefully I'll have a bio within a week.  Chris was very pleased about being accepted here at the Archives.  He was so pleased that he's sending me the first two JCSK releases, currently unavailable, along with an animated film by his brother Pat Big%20smile.  This band promoting thing just might work out! LOL  Seriously though, that was a very generous offer that I'm extremely thankful for.  Can't wait for those to hit the box at my mail stop.

CNClown
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 16:51

Band Image                                                                       

Band Website: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=10761472

Bio:

One would think that, after listening to their music, June Cleaver And The Steak Knives (JCSK) 
is a band of many.  Think again.  JCSK is actually the creation of Chris and Pat Bradley, multi-instrumentalists, and brother's, who have been making music as JCSK since 1997.  They do 
have an "honorary member" in Alison Abbruzzi who has contributed vocals, lyrics, and concepts 
with the last 3 releases from the band.  There have also been some guest musicians on the 
last 2 releases as well.  

As mentioned above, the Brother's Bradley are multi-instrumentalists who, according to Chris,
"play everything and anything we can get our hands on. Generally I will play lead guitar, bass,
acoustic drums, and vocals, and Pat will play organ, piano, v-drums, bass (on older albums)
and vocals. But, we always mix it up and add mixtures of exotic, organic instrumentation,
electronics, found sound recordings, and recently mutated sound libraries. Everything is
carefully manipulated". Depending on the release you're listening to you may hear sitar, zither,
accordian,trumpet, cello, violin, recorder, dijeridoo, antique toy piano, kazoo, auto harp, etc., etc.,
etc..  

What the band composes, performs, and produces could be likened to a big bowl of tasty prog
soup.  A great quote to describe/define the bands music: "Trance-inducing electronica mixes
with dark and twisted rock and roll to create surreal soundscapes and intricate melodies.
Experimental madness cackles as heavy dance grooves drive. Upbeat, melancholy, ethereal,
paranoid, heavy, poppy, funky, jazzy, it's music you can dance to. Psychedelic surf rock meets
the great experiment we call music - all with the delusional twists and turns of the sonic
schizophrenia." Bottom line though is that it all comes together into some fantastic, very
listenable music that you'll want to be sharing with family, friends, pets, strangers, or just
about anyone or anything that can still hear.

As for the bands current status and future:  After the release of "Auricular Peculiar" in 2004
the brother's have been more of a multimedia project with Pat, an animator, creating the 
visuals, and Chris composing and producing the music to accompany Pat's creations.  In 
06'-07' they created 15 award winning animations for Chicago's Field Museum as part of
their permanent exhibits, Evolving Planet and Ancient Americas.  There will be new JCSK
music coming soon though.  According to Chris, as of 4/24/08, "we are really eager to get
going on June Cleaver, and have just recently begun work on a new cd".  Good news indeed!  
Also, the bands first 2 releases, currently unavailable, will hopefully be re-released in the
near future according to Chris.

This band is highly recommended to those looking for something familiar, innovative, and
unlike most anything out there these days.

Album info:

June Cleaver And The Steak Knives

Studio Album, released in 2000

Track Listings

1. Eddie Haskell (1:43)
  2. In The Kitchen (1:16)
  3. Bomb Shelter (1:44)
  4. Oh No, Daddy's Home! (3:46)
  5. Can The Spoons Come Out And Play? (3:44)
  6. The Window Sill (1:18)
  7. This Is My Life (2:03)                                                                              
  8. Epiphany On The Highway (2:29)
  9. Belt (2:34)
10. The Return Of The Dust Sucking Devices (3:05)
11. From Here To Eternity (1:06)
12. Train Ride To Suburbia (1:05)
13. The Sprinkler Song (1:38)
14. Industrial Parade (0:37)
15. Atomic Rain (2:57)
16. Big Lights On Bikini Island (1:29)
17. There's No Mistaking It (2:59)
18. Rave On (3:49)
19. Eddie Munster Goes Surfing (1:11)
20. Nausea Chronica (1:48)
21. A Woman's Place (2:24)
22. Shoelace (2:10)
23. This Is What I Tell Myself (3:17)

Total Time (50:12)

Line-up/Musicians

Instrument Molestation by: Christopher and Patrick Bradley

The following instruments were victimized in this fine recording:

electric, acoustic & classical guitar, bass, sitar, zither, acoustic & electric drums, percussion, piano, keyboards, accordian, trumpet, cello, violin, recorder, dijeridoo, turntables, melodica, singing bowl, mixing bowls, antique toy piano, saw blades, metal detector, samples, printer, thumb piano, kazoo, vocals, screams, shrieks and moans, mini recorder, auto harp, glockenspiel, nature sounds, etc..

Release information

© 2000 Insane Studios (634479228018) (format: CD-R)

Album info:

"Cleavage""

Studio Album, released in 2002

Track Listings

1. Necrophilia (3:45)
  2. Buried In Deep Cement (1:58)
  3. Hurry Up! (3:04)
  4. Incandescence (0:37)
  5. Hate Song (2:44)
  6. Terrorists (2:43)
  7. Hypnotic Faux Finish (1:38)
  8. Mr. Wimple (6:37)
  9. Never See Your Face (0:55)
10. I Can't Believer It's Not Butter (1:20)
11. Chips In The Chocolate Sky (3:36)
12. Brahma Barker (4:52)
13. Sweet Cowboy (3:49)
14. Today Did Not Arrive (4:36)
15. What Will You Do? (3:53)

Total Time (46:11)

Line-up/Musicians

All instruments by Chris and Pat Bradley except:

Guest Musicians:

Chris Delamater- trombone on tracks 1 and 2
John Fay- rap on track 10
Zach Smith- double bass on track 11
Chris Sperry- guitar on 13
Alison Abbruzzi- special material, vocals on tracks 3, 11, and 15

Release information

© 2002 Insane Studios, Inc. (634479669323)

Album info:

"Auricular Peculiar"

Studio Album, released in 2004

Track Listings

1. Sky Is Falling (5:23)
  2. Spit Valve (2:53)
  3. The Other Side (3:15)
  4. Fit (3:50)
  5. The Grandiose Staircase (2:55)
  6. Coffee Assassin (3:01)
  7. Driving Evil From the World (4:30)
  8. Everybody Wants (2:57)
  9. Lullaby (3:17)
10. Tympanic Membrane (1:59)
11. Cornered (3:49)
12. New Year (2:18)
13. Waiting For My Throat to Close (4:01)

Total Time (43:28)

Line-up/Musicians

All instruments by Chris and Pat Bradley except:

Guest Musicians:

Chris Delamater- trombone (tracks 2,5,12) trumpet (tracks 2,12)
Alison Abbruzzi- special material, lead vocals (track 9) back up vocals (track 1)
Bill Cochran- french horn (track 6)
Meghan Mahan- flute (track 12)
Damian Bradley- falsetto introduction ( track 3)

Release information

© 2004 Insane Studios (634479066702) (format: CD-R)

Edited by ComfortablyNumb - May 02 2008 at 08:07
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 15:21
Meant to do it last night, but forgot add JC&tSK for you... Done, mostly. Excellent job.

JUNE CLEAVER AND THE STEAK KNIVES

The band image would not take, and I tried to convert it from gif but perhaps I should have tried another program (a bit small anyway).  The quotes won't work for the album names.  The line-up info is a bit unusual, and may edit some of that later.

Congrats on the addition, CN, and thanks!  It's a good one.

EDIT: I added in for the bio "prepared by ComfortablyNumb", but if you want any changes, just PM me.

Going out soon, though, and won't be back until this evening.

Edited by Logan - May 03 2008 at 15:23
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 15:24
Damn that is an awful name. Sounds like a band from 1993 that would appear on The Buzz compilation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12