Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > News from Official Prog Suppliers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJazzis Web Shop News 04/2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 03:56

CD

I interrupt the flow of the fabulous FMR releases to add an Israeli Jazz album, which unfortunately is out of print by now, but I managed to get a few copies directly from the artists:

Albert Beger – “This Life”

2nd album by Israeli saxophonist Albert Beger and his quartet with John Bostock on piano, Gabriel Meyer on bass and Asaf Sirkis on drums. As usual Beger wrote all the music on this album, which is excellently performed by the quartet members. The album marks Beger’s transition between modern Jazz and Improvised Music, which he will be involved with on his later recordings. The material on this album is still firmly based on the Jazz tradition, with melodic content and traditional harmonic structures. Beger’s solos however are mostly free form, spinning and floating above the basic chord changes. His virtuosity and flair are clearly apparent and the album established Beger as one of Israeli leading players. All the other quartet members do an excellent job, each in his respective field. Bostock is a master of harmony, supplying the main melodic structures and playing a few excellent solos. Meyer’s solid bass glues the music together and keeps the time beautifully and Sirkis, by far the best Israeli drummer, drives the music forward with his excellent feel and energy. As all Beger’s output, this album firmly confirms that although small, the Israeli Jazz scene is capable of producing recordings of the same quality as anything recorded in Europe or the US. Recommended!

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102511

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 04:33

CD

It’s time to return to the British Jazz albums recorded during the pivotal late 1960s / early 1970s – a favorite subject of mine as everybody knows by now. Here is the next album on the wonderful FMR label, home of great British Jazz and Improvised Music:

John Surman – “Morning Glory”

In complete contrast to the first stage of British saxophonist John Surman’s career, which lasted for about four years (between 1968 and 1971) and was characterized by almost obsessive recording and touring, he decided to “hold his horses” from that point on and record a limited number of albums each year – a modus operandi he adheres to consistently to this very day. 1972 saw the release of just one Surman album, the revolutionary “Westering Home” - a complete solo project. Similarly, 1973 brought us just one Surman album entitled “Morning Glory”, which was also the (collective) name of the group that recorded the album. Consisting of the top players on the British scene it included Surman on soprano saxophone and bass clarinet (note the fact that he does not play here his primary instrument – the baritone saxophone) with Malcolm Griffiths on trombone, Norwegian guitarist Terje Rypdal, John Taylor on acoustic and electric piano, Chris Lawrence on bass and John Marshall on drums. Musically the album is quite surprising, as it marks Surman’s first venture into the field of Jazz-Rock Fusion (under his flag that is). Although the structure of the music is still very free form and the solos tend to float into free improvisational spheres, the guitar, electric piano and the rhythmic patterns are close to Fusion (which was at the peak of its development at the time). One might call this Free-Fusion, but of course labeling this magnificent music is completely senseless. Surman’s solos are, as usual, brilliant but all the musicians contribute more that a fair share to the album’s overall mastery. Originally released on Island, the album was unavailable for many years and having it back in circulation is a marvel. Of course it is an absolute must have for every follower of the British Saxophone Colossus and fan of modern British Jazz. Highly recommended!

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102512

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 06:38

Here is an update on the latest Jazzis Web Shop News:

CATALOG EXPANSION:

I have devoted the 1st quarter of 2008 to expanding the selection of Jazz titles offered. Returning to an old love of mine – the British Jazz of the late 1960s / 1970s, which was a period of frantic development of European Jazz. I’ve established contact with several UK labels, which specialize in reissues of that material like Vocalion, Dusk Fire, Trunk, FMR and a few others which will appear on my site soon. Collectively these labels offer a fantastic selection of the best British Jazz albums recorded during that period. Although many great recordings remain unreleased on CD, the ones already released present some of the best music ever recorded on this planet, which is exactly what I wish to offer on my site.

Browse the British Jazz albums:

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?s=british_j

I’ve also managed to replenish the fabulous Polish Jazz section, with many new additions arriving soon:

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?s=polish_j

Some of the artist, who created music during this glorious period, are still active today and make wonderful music. I’ll soon introduce more recent recordings by several great British musicians like Michael Garrick and others.

As of today the catalog includes 1,755 titles, way beyond what I had in mind when I started this enterprise. If all goes well the number should reach the 2,000 goal. I have no idea if it makes sense expanding the catalog in view of the dwindling sales, but we’ll see…

Of course I keep adding Progressive Rock titles on regular basis, some old some new. There is not much interesting stuff coming out on that scene recently (unfortunately), but I keep my eyes and ears open at all times.

SALES:

Unfortunately the sales are steadily dwindling… I’m not desperate about this issue any more, sort of resigned. The music industry crumbled completely (at least in the old format) and people just don’t give a damn about music any more (the vast majority that is). I talk to hundreds of people involved in selling CDs and they all tell the same story – sales are going down and businesses are closing – it looks like a plague. Of course the tiny record collectors community still hangs on, but it is not big enough to sustain a business around it. I wander how long it will take until all this simply comes to a grinding stop…? Of course I thank of all of you for your continuous support and as always ask you to support the music.

JAZZIS WEB SHOP SITE

I keep playing around with the site all the time. I’ve recently changed the look of the home page, with now displays the latest 10 additions (instead of one) and the top bestsellers.

I also spend more time writing the album descriptions, which are linked to other albums by hyperlinks – a great feature that everybody likes. No other vendor has this feature on their site.

I also expanded the browse page, which is the heart of the site’s search facility, by adding numerous search options, including the most popular searches, another unique feature.

7th ANNIVERSARY

The 7th Anniversary of Jazzis Web Shop as around the corner and as usual, I’m amazed how fast the time flies. Staying alive for that long is quite remarkable.

MY PERSONAL SITE

This is quite a success with almost 5,000 visits in just 2 months since it was launched (http://www.adambaruch.com/). You can read my daily blog there, browse my books and records collection, listen to music and see my photographs.

Have Fun!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 03:52

CD

It’s time to return to the British Jazz albums recorded during the pivotal late 1960s / early 1970s – a favorite subject of mine as everybody knows by now. Here is the next album on the wonderful FMR label, home of great British Jazz and Improvised Music:

Mike Osborne – “Outback”

British saxophonist / composer Mike Osborne was an integral part of the modern Jazz scene in the late 1960s / 1970s, recording numerous albums as member of the most important ensembles at the time, led by Mike Westbrook, Harold Beckett, John Surman and Chris McGregor (Brotherhood Of Breath). He was also the founding member of the momentous saxophone trio SOS with John Surman and Alan Skidmore. A brilliant improviser, he was an absolute master of the alto saxophone with very few contenders. Stylistically Osborne tendencies were always oriented towards Free Jazz and he was one of the great pioneers of the genre in UK. Unfortunately his personal life was deeply disturbed by mental illness, which resulted in time spent on and off in mental institutions. By early 1980s the illness became so severe that he had to be institutionalized for life and never again played music. He died in 2007. Although Osborne recorded quite a few albums as a sideman, his output as leader is very limited. This was his debut session as a leader, which took a lot of persuasion to materialize, as Osborne hated to be in the limelight. Released on the legendary Turtle label (the first album to be recorded for the label, which was actually started to release this album), the album was a rare collector’s item for many years and the reissue is a blessing. The music consists of just two long tracks (which used to be the LP sides), performed by a quintet with Osborne on alto saxophone, Harry Beckett on trumpet, Chris McGregor on piano, Harry Miller on bass and Louis Moholo on drums (the rhythm section of Brotherhood Of Breath). On both tracks the quintet states the theme and then ventures into extended free improvisation passages, with splendid long solos by Osborne and Beckett. The album is a classic example of European Free Jazz, capturing the atmosphere of the era, when music was created because musicians had something to say. Not easy music, but essential to all enthusiasts of the genre and a most important historical document.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102513

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 04:16

CD

John Mayer / Indo-Jazz Fusions – “INJA”

British violinist / composer John Mayer invented the fusion between Jazz and traditional Indian music in the 1960s, when he and the brilliant saxophonist Joe Harriott co-led an ensemble, which recorded a series of groundbreaking albums which fused the two musical genres, being one of the pioneers of Jazz-World Fusion. Unfortunately the ensemble ceased to exist when Harriott died tragically in 1973. From that time on Meyer continued his work mainly in the field of Classical music, but by the end of 1990s he formed a new ensemble called Indo-Jazz Fusions and recorded with them a series of superb albums until his death in 2004. The ensemble was a nonet and included Mayer on violin and eight young but extremely talented musicians, with his son Jonathan Mayer on sitar, Harjinda Mataru on tabla, James McDowall on flute, Carlos Lopez-Real on saxophone, David Smith on trumpet, Simon Colam on piano, David Foster on bass and Andrew Bratt on drums. Mayer wrote most of the fantastic music performed by the ensemble, but the great Kenny Wheeler composed the title track of this album. The music is a direct continuation of the stuff the Mayer-Harriott group was doing, missing of course Harriott’s virtuosity, but nevertheless still formidable. Mayer’s beautiful melodies are perfect vehicles for the improvised passages and solos by the ensemble’s members and everything falls into place just flawlessly. One can hardly imagine a better cross-pollination between cultures and we should all be grateful to Mayer for pursuing this wonderful dream. Delightful!

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102514

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 05:10

CD

John Mayer / Indo-Jazz Fusions – “Shiva Nataraj King Of Dance”

British violinist / composer John Mayer invented the fusion between Jazz and traditional Indian music in the 1960s, when he and the brilliant saxophonist Joe Harriott co-led an ensemble, which recorded a series of groundbreaking albums which fused the two musical genres, being one of the pioneers of Jazz-World Fusion. Unfortunately the ensemble ceased to exist when Harriott died tragically in 1973. From that time on Meyer continued his work mainly in the field of Classical music, but by the end of 1990s he formed a new ensemble called Indo-Jazz Fusions and recorded with them a series of superb albums until his death in 2004. This album was unfortunately the last he recorded with this ensemble before he died. The lineup is identical to the one, which recorded the beautiful “INJA”, and again a British Jazz veteran contributes one of the compositions on this album, this time saxophonist Stan Sultzmann. The music is as beautiful and perfect as anything Mayer ever touched - a great example of Jazz-World Fusion and a must for all lovers of cross-cultural inspirations. Mayer’s fans need no further inducement to grab this one ASAP.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102515

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 03:54

CD

Here are a few new additions on the small UK label Market Square, which are all quite rare and surprising. The first is another little known Kevin Ayers album:

Kevin Ayers – “Turn The Lights Down”

This little known live recording captures the Canterbury legend Kevin Ayers in the mid 1990s, accompanied by a great British band called The Wizards Of Twiddly, who by that time established quite a following on the Acid Jazz scene. The band fits Ayers like a glove with his crossover material moving freely between Folk, Rock and Jazz. Ayers delivers a splendid set of thirteen of his songs, with the usual ironic and often bitter and sarcastic lyrics. He’s in top form and the rapport between him and the band is plainly evident. The band members supply plenty of interesting solos and the overall full sound of the band, horns included, revitalizes the music immensely. This is a must have for all Ayers fans.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102516

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 03:56

CD

Here are a few new additions on the small UK label Market Square, which are all quite rare and surprising. The next is another little known album by the legendary Curved Air soloist Sonja Kristina:

Sonja Kristina – “Sonja Kristina”

Following the demise of the legendary band Curved Air in 1976, their soloist Sonja Kristina continued her career as a solo artist, with a few attempted Curved Air reunions over the years. This, her eponymous first solo album, which was recorded with her band Escape, proves that she lost none of her vitality over the years and her magical and unique voice was still at full bloom. Accompanied by a great group of musicians, including her Curved Air partner violinist Darryl Way (who at the time was leading his group Wolf), she delivers a splendid set of songs, some of which include her lyrics. Although the album suffers slightly from the dreadful 1980s production standards, this can be easily put aside in view of her magnetic presence. The bonus tracks are especially interesting, as they include the only single (A/B) recorded by the 1984 Curved Air reunion called “Renegade” and an ultra rare Kristina single from 1985, recorded with the band Tunis. The album is a must have for all Curved Air fans and all people who are mesmerized by Kristina’s unique vocal delivery.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102517

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 15:20

CD

Here are a few new additions on the small UK label Market Square, which are all quite rare and surprising. The next is yet another little known album by the legendary Curved Air soloist Sonja Kristina:

Sonja Kristina – “Songs From The Acid Folk”

Following the demise of the legendary band Curved Air in 1976, their soloist Sonja Kristina continued her career as a solo artist, with a few attempted Curved Air reunions over the years. Following her early 1980s activity and the release of her eponymous debut album, she left the scene and hibernated for a few years, concentrating on raising her children. She returned to public appearances, first on the theatre stage and later by forming a new band, which was quite a surprising direction change for her. Coming back to the roots, Kristina and her new band performed a beautiful mix of Folk-Rock and modern Psychedelics, called Acid Folk. In 1990 Kristina reunited again with the original band members of Curved Air for a tour (which is documented on the “Alive, 1990” album) and once the tour was over returned to her new band and recorded this, her second solo album. She also wrote all the songs for this album, which was another surprising and bold step forward. The result is a charmingly beautiful Folk-Rock album, one of the best there are but unfortunately little known. Her splendid voice is all there, as good as in the old Prog years, but in the mostly acoustic and serene setting it sounds even more perfect. It really great to see Kristine revitalize her career time after time and to be able to hear her superb voice again. Warmly recommended!

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102518

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Jazzis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 03:08

CD

What better to end this month’s additions than a new Israeli Jazz album by one of our best musicians, Albert Beger:

Albert Beger – “Big Mother”

8th album by Israeli saxophonist Albert Beger recorded with his new quartet, which includes two new members: Aviram Ben Naim on piano and Yoav Zohar on drums. Veteran bassist Gabriel Meyer is still with Beger, the only member of his ensemble who plays with him since the first album recorded twelve years ago. Beger composed and arranged all the music, which is surprisingly much more melodic than his previous recordings. Of course there is plenty of free improvisation, but the musical themes are clearly stated and adhered to. The two new members prove to be a wise choice and play splendidly, creating the strongest version of Beger’s quartet ever. Pianist Ben Naim is an ideal accompanist for the leader, with his beautifully harmonic rapid movement all over the keyboard and Zohar on drums builds up the tension skillfully. Meyer’s steady bass foundation keeps the music on track with taste and apparent superb feel for the music. Beger is a great player; comfortable in any situation the music takes him to, regardless of key, tempo or the complexity of the tunes. His writing is getting better all the time and this new music is definitely his strongest statement to date, as a composer. This album stands proudly shoulder to shoulder with any contemporary Jazz recording from Europe or the US, positioning Beger firmly as a world-class Jazz artists. Brilliant stuff!

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102519

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12