Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat about joe satriani?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:06
the ultra zone? well maybe, here and there, but i cant really compare him to zappa.
about his two first albums, i dont know, i never liked them, and i never spend enough time to listing to them probably.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:05
^ this type of experimentation can be heard on all the other albums too:

Passion and Warfare: Ballerina, Audience is Listening, Alien Water Kiss
Sex & Religion: Pig, Down Deep Into the Pain
Fire Garden: Fire Garden Suite, Warm Regards
Alien Love Secrets: Kill the Guy With The Ball/The God Eaters
Ultra Zone: most tracks,  standout song: Lucky Charms
bluesynight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 15:45
funny i never thought about that, but now when im listening to zappa for a couple of hours, i see what you mean. i guess you right. especially about the "audience is listening" and "Lucky Charms". vai all ways reminded me of eddie van halen(especially when he taps), and some times he reminds me of satch(when i first heard "juice" i was sure its satch).

but zappa is different, zappa experimented with all kind of music including blues, tango, rock, jazz, classical, things that vai dont have. his different, and he really shouldn't be compared to zappa. ye vai worked with orchestra "for the love of god" is a good example, and this days he plays with violinists, but its not the same insane experiment's that zappa did(and i mean insaneWacko).

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scotts as a joke, but the Scotts haven't seen the joke yet.
(Oliver Herford)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 03:31
^ he's strongly influenced by Zappa ... around 1980 he played in Zappa's band and you can hear this influence on Flexable, and the other tracks I mentioned. Note also the track "Frank" on The Ultra Zone, and the disc which is part of the Jewel Box, which contains an hour's worth of Zappa recordings which feature Vai.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 04:00
Definitely not Progressive Rock - any of Satch's output.

There's no doubt as to his place in the scheme of things, however - his famous position of tutor to some of the most amazing guitarists alive is legendary, and his technique and experimentation are stunning. However, technique and experimentation are just parts of what goes into Progressive Music. Without the compositions to back them up, it simply becomes progressive (ie, not part of the genre, but literally).

I feel his is a bit of a wasted talent in some ways - I'd really like to heard what his output would have been like had he continued studying with the most amazing jazz pianist ever, ie, Lennie Tristano, and the almost equally amazing guitarist Bill Evans. That potential fusion of jazz and rock could have been quite something.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 05:08
Clap
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 18:29
i know that  "frank" was a tribute to zappa, and of course i know he played with him.
vai just dont have the "experiment's"/"fusions" that zappa had. zappa can be easly considered as fusion, or eclectic.my guess that his under one of this genres on this site, i didn't really checked. but vai cant, and as you see his under prog related.  but i see what you mean about the influence.

lol all this tallk about vai and now i have the urge to listing to his music, i think that later i get the "flax-able" from a friend.
(Oliver Herford)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 03:25
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Without the compositions to back them up, it simply becomes progressive (ie, not part of the genre, but literally).

you mean becouse his a solo performer and his music is mostly focusing on the guitar? what about "AL Di MEOLA" or "TONY LEVIN", or  any other solo reformer on this site.. its going no were.
(Oliver Herford)
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 03:12
he means (at least this is how i take it) that although he is experimenting a little and utilizing some great technique, he doesnt have prorgressive or original or exciting compositional structure to the songs. Hes a little tiny bit experimental, and maybe rogressive in thought for a small handful or songs but the rest of his songs are fairly straightforward.
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 17:30
This thread is only a month old, so I don't mind resurrecting it. I'm something of a Satch fan, which is how I arrived here. Anyway, both sides of this 'debate' have made infuriatingly shallow arguments, even the people with lots of posts and stars. Why hasn't anyone with the know-how examined Satch's discography and compared it to the PR requirements? Why is everyone too busy shouting about their pet peeves: "No 'if X, then why not Y' arguments!" That's just intellectually stifling, and I felt bluesynight had a good case about selective application of the PR standards, which was silenced by the higher level forum attendees (although it was technically irrelevant to the original topic, but that was not the reason bluesynight was getting flamed). Although he wasn't helping his own case much by calling people and ideas "stupid."

The point is, I'm not going to just drop into this forum and electronically shout someone down, or give a six word response with no backing evidence ("Satriani is in no way prog" for instance). Sorry if I seem rude myself, but this was a very disheartening thread...no-one actually had any wisdom to share with the questioner, only trivialities about guitarists *other than Satch*.

Someone analyze the guitarist in question, please.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 19:00
well it was actually my first post on this forum, and i asked allot about why X and not Y, because i tried to understand more about this site policies, and about the prog related genre. and i understood that the team all ready made up his mind, so this argument was pointless from the beginning, i just used it to understand the site better.

Although he wasn't helping his own case much by calling people and ideas "stupid."

like i said it was pointless from the beginning..
but let me explain how i see it..."you" say that you don't want a dog in your home, then you get a dog, i ask you why you got a dog, and you answer..this dog got nothing to do with the other dogs. then i ask again, and you answer..i don't have to answer you.
this what i got when i asked about vai. its not exactly a brilliant argumentSmile, and i called it stupid.
i got other answers later, but its out of the point.

well in MY PORSENAL OPINION. the prog related is an excuse to add bands/performers by they(team) personal taste. i can see that satch shouldn't be here, but nether is 10% of the bands on this site.

(Oliver Herford)
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 19:20
Well, I was more interested in the arguments for and against Satch's inclusion, rather than the policies related to the PR genre. You seem more satisfied with this thread than I am, perhaps because you were involved with the natural flow of the discussion and I only discovered it today, wanting to know how people thought of Satriani. I felt the examination of Satch's style, especially in relation to prog, was cursory at best. Either that, or not elaborated upon properly. With a few exceptions.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 02:38
^ one of the things you need to understand is that the topic has been discussed to death here ... there must be at least a dozen threads about Satriani and/or Vai. I'm sure I posted some more detailed thoughts about his music in one of them ... 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 03:09
it sounds like Hirgwath would like to have seen an examination of the qualifiers in balance, each album and perhaps key tracks looked at and reasoned as to why Satch is or is not 'progressive rock'

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 04:03
Originally posted by bluesynight bluesynight wrote:

well in MY PORSENAL OPINION. the prog related is an excuse to add bands/performers by they(team) personal taste. i can see that satch shouldn't be here, but nether is 10% of the bands on this site.

Wrong and out of order. The Admin team manage the Prog Related section. We do not add bands to it, we consider proposals to do so. Out of order, because it questions the integrity of those involved.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 05:38
ouuu pls under vai its says "modern composer", and when i asked why Yngwie is not here, this is the bast answer i got...

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Yngnut, I mean, Yngwie's ego is too big to get through the door. Of course now his puffy face almost matches his overblown opinion of himselfWacko.

prog related have no guide lines or policy's, and the team is adding bands by they personal opinion, sabbat is a good example... what next motorhead? look, i dont give a crap, do what you want, i just giving you my personal opinion.

as for satch...
satch was the first pure shred solo performer, but the question i ask myself is did he created something new? or is he just doing something old, but in a very high technical lvl. to be honest i kind of sick of this argument.

(Oliver Herford)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567