Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRockaphonica, symph prog from Argentina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rockaphonica, symph prog from Argentina
    Posted: April 19 2008 at 20:01

HI PROG FRIENDS, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

Making the best out of my free time on this lovely (and lonely) Saturday of April, let me propose ROCKAPHONICA for the ARCHIVES. Yet another band from Argentina, this instrumental quartet of flute, keyboard, bass and drums plays a beautiful, serene kind of symphonic prog very much inspired by Camel, the softer side of Focus and, on a more modern approach, Solaris. The overall ambiences of their album “Fuera de Tiempo” give much preference to clean melodic structures and bucolic moods: this may relate it somehow to 70s Argentinean prog bands such as Agnus and M.I.A. (the softer side).

The album has been reviewed at Sea of Tranquility (http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4483), Progressor (http://www.progressor.net/review/rockaphonica_2006.html), DPRP (http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200702.php - unfairly criticized as bland)

Maybe you can download their music at http://www.mininova.org/det/1223112 or at http://losinconseguiblesdelrock.blogspot.com/2008/01/la-rockaphonica-fuera-de-tiempo-2005.html

You can also listen to one track at www.myspace.com/viajeroinmovilrecords - look for ‘Balada de los Antares’.

A very interesting entry in the list of PA’s symphonic prog bands ROCKAPHONICA would really be… don’t you agree?

Kind regards.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 20:50

It reminds me somewhat of Los Jaivas, mainly because of the flute and the softly developing tune (listening to the myspace track), maybe some Camel, or even Moody Blues stuff going on. It's to straight for Folk/etnic, so i guess symphonic suits them best.

if the rest is of the same quality it deserves a place here for sure.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 21:25
You've made an accurate point, Tuxon. The band's bucolic side is connected to what many prog-folk bands achieve, and definitely the flute player (and main writer) uses many folkish undertones in his style. But, all in all, the band's sound is more essentially symphonic. the folk thing is an important but not fundamental ingredient.

Kind regards.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 10:52

Here are the bio and album information.-

ROCKAPHONICA is a symphonic rock project lead by Argentinean flutist/composer Ricardo Luna. Being as he is an experienced session musician, his major areas of interest in the past were melodic rock and modern Creole fusion. His first solo efforts were in the new-age scene (he has released two independent CDs of that style). With the new millennium came new interests in his mind, always connected to the artsy side of popular music. In order to shape and express his devotion for symphonic rock (especially CAMEL), he summoned keyboardist Andrés BONELLI, bassist Roberto ENCINAS and drummer Gustavo GONZÁLEZ, and so ROCKAPHONICA was born. Released in 2005, “Fuera de Tiempo” is a testimony of the candid, colorful and clean melodic approach to the standards of symphonic prog that the band was headed for. Besides the obvious CAMEL influence (the album actually includes three covers from this band’s classic material), you can also hear hints to the calmer side of FOCUS,  SOLARIS, as well as affinities to Lito VITALE and other compatriot modern fusion acts.  

ROCKAPHONICA is especially recommended to all lovers of symphonic prog who don’t mind a bit of bucolic and slight fusionesque elements.

“Fuera de Tiempo”   (2005)

Viajero Inmóvil

1. Pasión y Crimen  (4:58)

2. Fat Dreams  (6:07)

3. Fantasmas  (5:03)

4. Balada de los Antares  (8:15)

5. Catéter  (5:13)

6. Aceitunas  (5:55)

7. Supertwister  (3:09)

8. Rhayader  (2:52)

9. Rhayader Goes to Town  (5:51)

Total time  47:21

- Ricardo Luna / flute, tin whistle

- Andrés Bonelli / keyboards

- Roberto Encinas / bass

- Gustavo González / drums

Guest musicians:

- Gustavo Mari / electric guitar 4, 8 & 9  

- Ricardo Mari / acoustic guitar on 4 & 5 

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 11:03
I'll pass this on to the Symph team (though I thought that you were part of it, Cesar; don't you talk to Ivan? you could submit it directly to him or PM him).

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 12:06
Don't worry Avestin, Cesar can call me by phone, we are personal friends, and live a few Kms away.

I will check the band.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 20 2008 at 18:27

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 12:25
I don't worry but I remember one suggestion of his to Symph not going to your team and it was weird as I thought Cesar was a member of the team.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I don't worry but I remember one suggestion of his to Symph not going to your team and it was weird as I thought Cesar was a member of the team.

No, I'm a Honorary Collaborator from some time ago. I see Iván has taken note of this, so things are most likley to go quickly for ROCKAPHONICA.

Kind regards.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 15:00

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

No, I'm a Honorary Collaborator from some time ago. I see Iván has taken note of this, so things are most likley to go quickly for ROCKAPHONICA.

Kind regards.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 18:32

Just listened the album for the first time and I'm really impressed.

I can't find Solaris or Camel references at all, but they surelly have a FOCUS strong influence. Somehow they re-create that Flemish sound of Thij's flute, and some of the Akkerman sound.

Great band and my vote is for yes 100 times, a band that must be added to Symphonic.

They got my vote and I assume they will gt the other votes of the team.

Iván

EDIT: At a second listen I find more and more Medieval touches, can't love more this band, suits as glove in a hand into the  Ethnic School of Symphonic, specially for Cateter.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 20 2008 at 18:43

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 11:19
Rokaphonica has been accepted in Symphonic by 3 votes to 0 (HT couldn't vote because I wasn't here and I nbelieve he's having some extra work) but we havce Guigo, E-Dub and my vote, so it will be enough.

After we finish this week cleaning in Neo Prog, we will add the band.

Thanks for the info Cesar.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 21:52
Rockaphonica added

Iván

Please Cesar, we need a band photo.

Post Reply Post Reply