Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOrne

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orne
    Posted: May 06 2008 at 05:11
I'm surprised that the Finnish band Orne isn't in Prog Archives..   it contains all 3 members from the perhaps better known doom metal band Reverend Bizarre although their music really has nothing to do with doom metal.. its really straight progressive rock

in the words of the guitarist,
Quote The band plays dark progressive rock in the vein of Van der Graaf Generator, Black Widow, King Crimson, Gabriel-era Genesis, Pink Floyd...
  Their debut album, The Conjuration by the Fire is a great album too, something a fan of any of those bands should probably at least check out...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 06:19
found this.. this might help.. or hurt.. let's see what people think

http://www.myspace.com/ornemusic
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 07:56
listened to this earlier.. not exactly the most exciting thing I've heard... but I did like that 2nd of those two tracks..  kicking this to the mighty eclectic team.. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 13:55
So both Micky and myself thought it okay for Eclectic based on those for The Orne (not to be confused with Le Orme).   The second of those tracks rather reminded me of Spinal Tap.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 14:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Orne (not to be confused with Le Orme).   

LOLLOLLOL

Clap

we wouldn't want that happening
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 14:26
So, Metalisgood, if you want to go ahead and prepare the materials for addition -- write a bio, prepare the pics, and album pages -- that would be great.  You'll get full credit for your work and we can input the data when it's ready

Edited by Logan - May 06 2008 at 14:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 17:22
no reply so I guess metalisgoofy has a case of the shyness..   I'll work on this one then..

if you do want to work on .. just PM me. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 18:30
added Orme.. .if you or anyone has a pic... send it my way.. used a pic of Reverend Bizarre since those members are the core of the group.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3693

Edited by micky - May 10 2008 at 18:38
metalisgood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 21:23
I'll help with whatever you want, but it looks like you did most of the stuff already..

if theres anything you want I'd be happy to help (PM me or something)

Edited by metalisgood - May 10 2008 at 21:24
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 04:08
I found a burst of inspiration yesterday and added them...  what you can do.. .is check my work for errors.  If you have their album.. I can use the track times for each track.. and if you have a picture of the band.. I could really use it..  that picture of Reverend Bizarre on their artist page is so... not prog LOLLOL

not to mention.. if there is info you think should be added to the bio.. let me know and I'll see about working it in. Thanks for bringing them up so we could add them.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 13:53
yeah no problem..

1. 3:38
2. 5:54
3. 5:44
4. 5:50
5. 6:51
6. 8:42
7. 11:41

a few are a few seconds different... but thats about it.  the info looks correct, and pictures, looks like they WILL be on their homepage orne.rules.it, which is currently under construction...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 14:18
great .. thanks a ton.. updating the album... assuming you have the album... do us up a review of the album.  Thanks for the help.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 14:22
christ is king..  someone was quick on the draw.. already had it updated...
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 19:34
now I love Revered Bizarre, but I dont think Mr Vicar's venture into Prog territory was a necessary one, the thing that ruins that Orne for me is he triggers the snare, WTF? you don't trigger in Prog, thats like a big no no, if you like your Prog fairly well layered but all in 4/4 time I guess its for you, but I'd definitely not recommend it to Gentle Giant types looking for a more challenging rhythm section....which for me is what makes or breaks a Prog band,
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 19:45
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

now I love Revered Bizarre, but I dont think Mr Vicar's venture into Prog territory was a necessary one, the thing that ruins that Orne for me is he triggers the snare, WTF? you don't trigger in Prog, thats like a big no no, if you like your Prog fairly well layered but all in 4/4 time I guess its for you, but I'd definitely not recommend it to Gentle Giant types looking for a more challenging rhythm section....which for me is what makes or breaks a Prog band,

not one to piss on a band.. .. but they didn't exactly set the eclectic teams house on fire .. at least the samples we heard.  That said...  there is much more to prog than challenging rhythms... that is a byproduct of what prog was about.. but not a necessity to be prog or even a good prog band. I've heard complex stuff that puts me asleep faster than a frickin Genesis album.   Was Orne original.. or groundbreaking?..  hahahha. oh HELL no.  But was it prog..  yeah it was...  I'd call it generic eclectic prog. LOL

Edited by micky - May 12 2008 at 19:46
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 19:49
*grins* I thought the same about Orne. but honestly, their mothership band released plenty of doomy, repetitive twelve minute songs of their own - they just seemed to strip out the irony for Orne. :(

Rev. Bizarre's "Slave of Satan" single is still the finest metal track of the decade. =)
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 20:17
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

*grins* I thought the same about Orne. but honestly, their mothership band released plenty of doomy, repetitive twelve minute songs of their own - they just seemed to strip out the irony for Orne. :(

Rev. Bizarre's "Slave of Satan" single is still the finest metal track of the decade. =)

definitely! I can talk about Reverend Bizarre all day, their farewell opus "So Long Suckers' was at least one of my top 5 albums of last year, Orne on the other hand....eh,
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 23:09
I think their one album so far is good (I'll probably give it 4 stars when I review it) ... its not exactly the most innovative prog rock, but the sound and instrumentation is well done..   The second time I listened to it I tried not to listen to it so much as a prog album and enjoyed it much much more than the first time where it didnt impress me at all.  I still prefer Reverend Bizarre as though, really great traditional doom metal band.

Edited by metalisgood - May 13 2008 at 23:10
 Post Reply Post Reply