Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes reported to be recording new album!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 04:22
The age isn't the main problem imo...rather maybe inspiration.. look at Saga, Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren), Steve Hackett or even Rush who deliver some best music after more than 30 years in music business.

I'm sad to say that, but guess that Steve Howe should retire for his post... guitar contribution on new Asia album is ridiculous, without any energy, creativity, inspiration. For me, his genius is gone for many years, but this is too much. I read that Anderson in last years wrote some new music with Trevor Rabin and band management contacted him to join Yes on upcoming tour. Yes primarily need driving force in songwriting. It would be great if this collaboration will influence the potencial album and give us some music like Endless Dream (with Wakeman performing keyboards). Guess it could be better choice, than think of TFTO part II. (sounds like fantasy in this stage)

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 09:54
Personally, I'd rather listen to the Flower Kings than ANY Yes album since Going for The One.  And Yes is one of my favorite bands of all time.

This news initially excited me, but now I am a bit apprehensive.  I did really like the Keys material, but wasn't thrilled by Magnification (didn't like Homeworld at all really).  But if they do this album for real, I will probably get it.  I'm hoping that low expectations will help me enjoy it more Smile

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:38
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Personally, I'd rather listen to the Flower Kings than ANY Yes album since Going for The One.  And Yes is one of my favorite bands of all time.

This news initially excited me, but now I am a bit apprehensive.  I did really like the Keys material, but wasn't thrilled by Magnification (didn't like Homeworld at all really).  But if they do this album for real, I will probably get it.  I'm hoping that low expectations will help me enjoy it more Smile

Have to agree about the low expectations - though I did think Magnification was good in places. All the energy (and conflict?!) that brought about the great albums of the 70s has perhaps been replaced by a little toooo much respect amongst the members (whoever they are at the time...!!) But heck, yes I'd probably go buy it. Smile

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:49
I've had low expectations on new Yes albums for year's now but if this comes off with just four long tracks then it could be very interesting. They've proved they're still capable of writing some decent longer tracks with Mind Drive and Homeworld so fingers crossed.
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 13:58
I look forward to it!Big%20smile
I keep my fingers crossed, that it will be a good one.
Nucleus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 22:49
I'm excited. They still have it in them for great things; The Ladder was good, and Magnification was the best since GFTO. In The Presence Of is their best song since Awaken, IMO, and if they're talking about doing epics like on CTTE and TFTO again, well, I'm certainly intrigued.
MAVIII View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 23:28
I am one those hard-core YES fans that have been dissapointed with "few' albums from their
HUGE catalogue.  I know us few wince and smirk at someone who mentions an album
they don't like that . . . but we love, or leave out a few that should have mention/aknowledgment.
Magnification was a huge dissapointment for me, 1 for the fact that an Orchestra was used
instead of the unique "Orchestra Sounds" of  Keyboards (Use both!).  Of the Older albums, the
only one I do not listen to on a regular basis is "Tales...", like Rick Wakeman himself, I find they
have great parts, but the Concept gets longwinded . . . for me, that is very hard to say now, even
when I first heard it in about 82 (was 19 at the time)?
Relayer and Drama are my faves (BLASPHEMY! Jon isn't even singing on the album!), but
each album has a brilliance that is soo unique and special than many other "Classic" Prog
Bands. They have influenced soo many "New" Prog bands which makes me . . .
Happy! 
No-one will be Yes, but I am happy that they have been a part of the new movement, if they
are influencing the harder acts like Dream Theater and Opeth, or the Neo-Prog like Spocks
Beard and The Flower Kings and soo many others, the world is a much better place to live in
(Variety is the spice of life).
I am also a huge Trevor Rabin fan, I think Trevor gave YES a swift kick, that added a new
dynamic and energy. "Talk" is a very underated album, if you have not heard it, or dis-missed it,
take a listen (without forcing yourself or under duress) to the Epic "Endless Dream".  That has
to be one of the greatest Epics I have ever heard. Its Trevors baby, but each musician is pushing
the envelope on that one, soo many textures and moods, VERY appreciated on headphones.
Also, for us Howe fans, take a listen to the STUDIO tracks of "Keys to Assension 1 and 2",
THOSE tracks ARE the (Epic) Yes of old by far-anything that has come out since!
I also very much enjoyed ABWH, all it needed was that unique sound of Chris Squire!

Saying all that, I am VERY excited about a new Yes album, I don't remember where I read it
(about 2 years ago perhaps), Jon had said, "We would ONLY do an album when we are
Inspired to create some great music; and it may be the LAST Tour *(we do for it), but with Yes,
you never know . . .
".
I too would not mind if they had Trevor, but ONLY if it were like a "Union" scenario, BUT- that
they actually recorded music "together" on tracks (and the chances of that happening...).
I go with what was reported Anderson saying, that he would work with Trevor on a "Project".
Now the question would be . . . White or Bruford!? Aww man, they are both GREAT and very
unique drummers.  If one's in, I'll miss the other . . . huge bummer that one will be.

As always, I will be DROOLING to see what Roger Dean will create to grace a Cover and
maybe a Special Limited Edition (LP and CD) for the Cover, if and when the record a new
album.

I am a fan of this ressurgents of Progressive Rock and its sub-genre Prog Metal (and all their
sub-genres as well), and I am glad that YES was in the world (and many others) to inspire, create
and fill us with soo much wonderful music throughout their lives and our lives, young and old.
Every time I hear Yes will release an album . . . I smile (with a tinge of apprehension, but I smile
all the same).  And I can't wait to see the Close to the Edge Anniversary show!

PrOg on all Clap

Edited by MAVIII - May 13 2008 at 23:30
"Shapes and forms, against the norms..."
And join the Prog Family: prOgulus.com
Andrew A. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 11:36
Hmmm, not sure if Anderson was saying Yes would make a new album, or were just planning some new material to play on the tour. Nothing on yesworld.com about a new recording. Still, fingers crossed! August in San Jose! Can't wait!

And I thought Magnification was better than The Ladder, though I replayed the Ladder recently and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. But then here's a shocker... I actually LIKED Union... am I crazy or what? Maybe that's a whole different topic.
longliveyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 14:21
Sorry to dissapoint but there is no new Yes Album planned only new songs for the tour.
Dreamer of Pictures View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 17:12
Hi there!

My standard reaction when I hear rumors about this band: I went to www.yesworld.com, rolled over YesNet, and then from the dropdown list I selected Notes From The Edge. The most recent edition of that newsletter has an interview with Jon Anderson. The newsletter is generally a very reliable source for current info and near-term activities.

Here's the gist of what Jon said:

The band's current task is preparation for the summer North American tour. Rick Wakeman cannot do a big tour due to health concerns, but his son Oliver has been given the keyboard duties for the tour.

Jon does discuss efforts to compose some new material, and his reasons for considering that to be an important task for the band.

</Jon>

He does not discuss timing of a CD of new material.

My guess is the band will not arrange new material until after the tour ... but in the 70s Yes did occasionally introduce new stuff on tour prior to recording it, so perhaps that will happen this summer.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 12:00
^^^^
Uh, but if they dont record them, how am I gonna listen to them??? At leadt a live album! Pleeaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeee
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
glasshouse27 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 22:06
SmileThat is great news!!!  
 yet i am trying not to get my hopes too high!   Confused
Ancient View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 02:35
This is good news. 'Magnification' was not a bad album. With less orchestra and more keyboard it would have been even better. We need Wakeman (the prog rocker, not the Clyderman clone). Hope they set their minds on ROCKING this time around.
Anderson saying it's very, very different both scares me and intrigues me. What I don't want is an 'Anderson solo album'. I'm hoping for a real BAND effort.
... and the flowering creativity of life wove it's www
Ancient View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 02:41
Even if it will not be a new album, just tracks to be played live (and eventually released on a DVD or live CD), the idea of new LONG tracks from Yes excites me. But expectations are not sky high, maybe I'll be positively surprised this time.
... and the flowering creativity of life wove it's www
NurseryCryme89 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 20:10
Dead
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Stern%20Smile madness.

I am both worried and excited. It's a rollercoaster ride of emotions right now.

DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadOuch
SleepyDeadOuch
sleeptalker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 18:53
Now that the tour has been cancelled , i wonder if these new compositions will see the light of day. Here's Hoping.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 20:54
Originally posted by sleeptalker sleeptalker wrote:

Now that the tour has been cancelled , i wonder if these new compositions will see the light of day. Here's Hoping.

That would be great!Smile
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 22:45
Let's just hope its not another disaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123