9 [69.23%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
3 [23.08%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do you read reviews?
    Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:22
Why do you read reviews?

My vote goes to the 4 options actually.

Since I'm bored(3), I pick a 'friend' of mine reviews list, check his tastes(4), since the majority are collabs, I have pleasure on reading them(1). Sometimes I can include option 2 since I wanna know bands or albums, but the majority of times I read a review and then make a thread on the forum to know better.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:27
mostly to know a band or album, never to sample someone's taste (not big on that)

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:28
I voted "for knowing the band/album".

While it's usually a combination of the above I always like to know what the album is like. A lot of views on the
album can usually give me a good impression of what the music is like - that and I like my music trivia. A lot of
reviews have a lot of good info in them!

However, I do read them a lot when I'm bored, so I guess that ties it to pleasure... and sometimes after reading
a review I like I'll see what else the person has reviewed and what they gave it. That way I can go after other
albums they liked that I may not have!

And that's why I read reviews.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:29
Same reason I write them.  To provide people info to help narrow choices and save money.  I use them to help me figure out what to buy, and hope I can help steer others clear of crap and towards quality.  Eventually you find reviewers who rate realistically and have compelling taste (Assaf, as an example) and when you find 4 or 5 of those, you've got it made.   Thumbs%20Up

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:31
how peculiar Confused I thought people read reviews to see if an album was worth buying. Ho-hum...

...I read them to check for split infinitives and correct usage of the passive voice... and to see if there are any amusing alliterations or imaginative uses of the word 'exemplary'
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:34
LOL "are any amusing alliterations" is an amusing alliteration.. and there are no known imaginative uses of 'exemplary' Stern%20Smile

Edited by Atavachron - May 26 2008 at 19:35
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:34
I don't.

Ok, maybe once in a while.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:37
Combination of many things:

I'll take a look at the front page to see if there's anything interesting or well-written on it whenever I go on PA. Occasionally there are some real delights to read, or things that sum up my thoughts on an album better than I usually do.

Reviews sometimes can raise my appreciation of an album. Something like that being Certif1ed's Court review, which helped me get Moonchild better, or Chicapah's Si On Avait... review earlier today. I've definitely seen a good CTTE one, that helped me get the title track better, but can't find it.

I don't usually read reviews to buy that much (sort of defeats the point, but hey...), but well-written reviews have encouraged me to check out bands or specific albums in the past. Finnforest's Bacio Della Medusa review got me interested in them, and now I'm suffering cravings for their second album. Occasionally, I'll look at what someone who vaguely corresponds with my views thinks on something before going for it, but since my tastes are very broad, I usually find that conversations on the forums are more productive.

Haven't read out of boredom before. Sure I will at some point.

Finding out people's tastes or interests is occasionally fun, and it's often interesting to find another perspective to mine on albums I love/dislike. Also, I think it'll help me get to making recommendations better when I do eventually become the fountain of prog knowledge that I currently am not.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:39
And I also really enjoy helping lesser known groups get some exposure, so I look for those opportunities.  To read about them and then write about them later.  Very rewarding.  

TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 19:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

LOL "are any amusing alliterations" is an amusing alliteration.. and there are no known imaginative uses of 'exemplary' Stern%20Smile

That's not alliteration. It's assonance Tongue Not sure if there's some further distinction because the vowel sounds of the 'a's are different.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 20:04
sorry, didn't mean to be aliterate

Big%20smile
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:26
Mainly to discover whether an album is worth buying or not, but sometimes just to see what other people think of an album if I already have it.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 12:08
I don't really have the time to read lengthy reviews anymore ... occasionally I do, but I wish that people would use the playlist service at RF more. Even with the few people who use it I have found many exciting new albums to listen to - I can only imagine what it would be like if some dozen people used it regularly.

Generally I'd say that rather than reading every new review I'd want to narrow down the list a bit (by tags, genres, ratings) and then focus on the reviews of the remaining albums.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 03:27
Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

how peculiar Confused I thought people read reviews to see if an album was worth buying. Ho-hum...

...I read them to check for split infinitives and correct usage of the passive voice... and to see if there are any amusing alliterations or imaginative uses of the word 'exemplary'

Couldn't get more wordy than that!!

To discover new prog but also to see other peoples reviews especially on bands I know.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply