Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs prog archives for the lost and lonely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 02:08
I think  in Uk Prog rock is still seen very Much  as Music from the 1970s of  Genesis , Tull, Yes Etc etc   I am shore if i played a lot of the stuff i  have listen to  on this site (Tool Ec Etc) and Played it to my old Friends back England there is noway they would agree that it is Prog Rock , i know that thinking may well be stuck in the Past  , but that would be the way they see it, but in the end it Just doesn't really  Matter , Labels really are for Pickle Jars , Choose what you Like and enjoy , as to rhinn post sadly he or she will not be alone in there thinking, there will be many prog fans from the UK who will think the same, but that kind of thinking is there loss , because they will miss out on lots of good Music,
As to Me i still think the Tool tracks i heard i would call heavy Metal , but like i said labels are for Pickle Jars,
Oh yea and can we Please have  The Sensational Alex Harvey Band  put into the Archives  come on they are Prog for shore 
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 02:47
I almost totally agree with what you posted and yet you're still annoying because I've read your posts before and you never, ever say anything nice.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 02:49
Hi Hawkwise there's a thread under the Suggest New Bands and Artists, where you'll find out how to get bands included in the Archives.

From what I can tell they (collabs) respond quickly, but addition can take awhile ... bio's, discographies, etc... take some time.

Edited by Plankowner - June 06 2008 at 03:27
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 03:10
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it is far better if these are expressed constructively. Including finger pointing and assumptions which are frankly wrong does not help to make the case.

We are very proud of what we have established here. Not only do we highlight prog bands and artists, but we included those with a clear link to prog. By doing so, we have been influential in spreading the word about prog far wider than it has been heard for many years.

The notion that the site is North American centric is quite simply wrong and disrespectful to those who work so hard for the site. The owners have placed total trust in our army of collaborators from all over the world (including North America of course) when it comes to deciding who is included and who is not.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 03:25
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

I Have not been here very long and i would have to to agree with a lot of what you said , i had never heard of the Band Tool  before i came to this site  , so i searched some out , i thought hey that Not Prog to me

And you listened to Lateralus? Funny how in such posts people never say what they actually listened to ...
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 09:11
Best thread!  brimming with win!
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 11:52
Not sure what you mean there GS. Presumably as one of our SCs, you are not intending sarcasm or some sort of put down of your fellow members?

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 12:10
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I Have not been here very long and i would have to to agree with a lot of what you said , i had never heard of the Band Tool  before i came to this site  , so i searched some out , i thought hey that Not Prog to me

And you listened to Lateralus? Funny how in such posts people never say what they actually listened to ...

I could not tell you the name of the Three tracks i did  listen to , but the three i did to me an English men living in Canada they were not what i would call Prog rock,  but hey i am a 50 year old git who thinks Prog Died in 1980 Shocked

Progressive rock (often shortened to "progressive", "prog rock" or "prog", also called "art rock"[1]) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late-1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility."[1]

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries"[1] by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporate elements drawn from classical, jazz, and avant-garde music. Instrumental songs are more common, and songs with lyrics are sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme".[1]

Progressive rock developed from late-1960s psychedelic rock[1], as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, The Moody Blues, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and came into most widespread use around the mid-1970s. While progressive rock reached the peak of its popularity in the 1970s and early 1980s, neo-progressive bands have continued playing for faithful audiences in the subsequent decades.[1]

From Wikipedia

Edited by Hawkwise - June 06 2008 at 12:13
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 12:49
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Not sure what you mean there GS. Presumably as one of our SCs, you are not intending sarcasm or some sort of put down of your fellow members?

I honestly had a good time reading this thread.  It's important for people to challenge the status quo even around here, so I'm glad to hear from extreme opinions, even if I don't agree with them.  Good comments, non-sequitor humor, and all the ingredients for a classic flamewar. 
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 13:12
I've always been a big tenter when it comes to what I consider prog.  Even so I think having the three metal sub-genres was a bit extreme.  Not that I'm complaining.  There's plenty of good music that I really like in other subs. 

One other thought, if you're buying something without trying it and throwing it in the trash when you don't like it, you're nuts!  Sell it on half.com or to your local used record store, even donate it to your local public library.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 06 2008 at 13:12
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 04:06
Originally posted by rhinn rhinn wrote:

A question, how many bands on here are really prog, and i mean really prog??? None of this post/math/ metal nonsense. They should be punted to another site for rock/heavy/nonsense music. I have always held the opinion heavy metal in which ever guise it takes (Iron Maiden, NWOBHM, Dream Theater and other clones) are not prog....ever.

Actually, there's a closer link between NWoBHM and Prog than most (Classic) Prog-Heads would like to admit, so the link between Metal and Prog is not such a tenuous one as you suggest.

Listen to Praying Mantis or Diamond Head's 1st albums, for example, and tell me that's not very close to Prog Rock.

The prog rock term was used way back in 1970(...)

1968, to be precise - the first usage I'm aware of is on the sleeve notes to Eclection's debut - which is quite a long way from King Crimson.

Discussion or binned..........i do believe prog archives has lost its way big time.

I disagree - it's merely following the trends, in some respect, by including bands that are commonly held to be Prog Rock (I do agree that many are not, in fact).

But also, by including "Prog-Related" and "Proto-Prog", it gives fans of "Classic Prog" a real discovery ground - for example, I would never have been aware of Hapshash and the Coloured Coat's music (they were more famous for their art), if it hadn't been for this site and its' inclusive rather than exclusive policy.

In fact, I think that ProgArchives SHOWS the way rather than having lost it, and that this is a site for true fans of the music.

If that makes us lost and lonely, then maybe that's because some people enjoy being lost and lonely, and get something out of that experience that makes everything seem a bit more worthwhile?

Edited by Certif1ed - June 11 2008 at 04:10
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 16:48

A question, how many vegetables on here are really radish, and i mean really radish??? None of this tomato/carrot/onion nonsense. They should be punted to another site for tomato/carrot/onion vegetables. I have always held the opinion tomatoes in which ever guise they take (Beefsteak, Brandywine, San Marzano and other clones) are not radish....ever.

If this was a British site, i do believe it would take a less convincing argument to portray these vegetables as non radish. However as it's global and mainly North American, where all vegetables nees to be pigeon holed, anything slightly off mainstream appears to be radish.

In all my years of following radish, very few fields from NA or other countries, with the exception of europe, actually had radish. It seems to be in recent years that, vegetables that failed to be catogarised were swept into the radish arena, and in my opinion wrongly.

Radish was used way back in 1970, and following the International Radish Society and Modern Gardener only Europe held any kind of swathe in the radish pigeon hole. I've read many books circa 1980+, but it only seems since the arrival of internet on masse, that vegetables appear to have move their boundaries. from where i am standing to suit the masses and allow sites like radish archives to grow, whilst not being guilty of lying. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, whether it is true or not

The Americas crave the creation of all vegetables, but singularly fail to provide radish with any decent real specimens, too many turned to commercial gain or cattle fodder to be bothered where they fitted in. Some even went as far as to do complete fields of turnips, then turn around and say that they are radish,

Appaling and pathetic at times the vegetables who are masquerading around this site as radish. i've read a few reveiws bought the vegetables and then put them straight in the bin, because they are deinitely not radish.

Discussion or binned..........i do believe radish archives has lost its way big time.

I agree with each and every word.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 16:56
LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 19:23

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I could not tell you the name of the Three tracks i did  listen to , but the three i did to me an English men living in Canada they were not what i would call Prog rock,  but hey i am a 50 year old git who thinks Prog Died in 1980 Shocked
They wouldn't be the three tracks streamed from this site would they Wink

Progressive rock (often shortened to "progressive", "prog rock" or "prog", also called "art rock"[1]) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late-1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility."[1]

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries"[1] by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporate elements drawn from classical, jazz, and avant-garde music. Instrumental songs are more common, and songs with lyrics are sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme".[1]

Progressive rock developed from late-1960s psychedelic rock[1], as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, The Moody Blues, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and came into most widespread use around the mid-1970s. While progressive rock reached the peak of its popularity in the 1970s and early 1980s, neo-progressive bands have continued playing for faithful audiences in the subsequent decades.[1]

From Wikipedia

Curiously, that second paragraph describes Tool to a "T" Wink

... the Wiki entry goes on for much longer than that and has a large section devoted to Prog post 1980 - one of the editors of the entry is one of our collaborators: Certif1ed Stern%20Smile 

ps: I'm a 51 year old English git who thinks Prog is alive and well Tongue
What?
fighting sleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 22:57

Hahaha the neat little irony of posting this under the "Help us improve the site" section. Yes, very helpful. Prog is no longer a musical affair! It is an international concern! I'd like to suggest giving North American bands that have suitably progressive sounds "prog passports", so that we can make sure that yes, they are 100 percent prog.

I swear, Rhinn, you make it sound as if ProgArchives was a legislative bill, and North American bands were the pork barrel spending. Lighten up and expand your views a bit. Sometimes it's not just the band that has to be progressive.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 04:05

From Wikipedia

...and all my words come back to me, in shades of mediocrity...

I must update that - funny how it seemed right when I wrote it Wink
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 04:31
Originally posted by fighting sleep fighting sleep wrote:

Hahaha the neat little irony of posting this under the "Help us improve the site" section. Yes, very helpful. Prog is no longer a musical affair! It is an international concern! I'd like to suggest giving North American bands that have suitably progressive sounds "prog passports", so that we can make sure that yes, they are 100 percent prog.

I swear, Rhinn, you make it sound as if ProgArchives was a legislative bill, and North American bands were the pork barrel spending. Lighten up and expand your views a bit. Sometimes it's not just the band that has to be progressive.

Clap
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 05:11

A question, how many bands on here are really prog, and i mean really prog??? None of this post/math/ metal nonsense. They should be punted to another site for rock/heavy/nonsense music. I have always held the opinion heavy metal in which ever guise it takes (Iron Maiden, NWOBHM, Dream Theater and other clones) are not prog....ever.

PA is a website and a business.  To attract people, it has taken a policy of incluciveness that goes beyond what any single individual's opinion of prog is.

And that's ok.  Explore what other people think prog is.  You will find some of it rewarding.  (And you will find some of it pretty crappy too.)  That's fine.  Wide horizons are better than narrow horizons.

And if you don't like it, just exclude certain categories from your own personal definition of prog.  I certainly do.  This website is a resource, not a straitjacket.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 16:06
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

PA is a website and a business.  To attract people, it has taken a policy of incluciveness that goes beyond what any single individual's opinion of prog is.

And that's ok.  Explore what other people think prog is.  You will find some of it rewarding.  (And you will find some of it pretty crappy too.)  That's fine.  Wide horizons are better than narrow horizons.

And if you don't like it, just exclude certain categories from your own personal definition of prog.  I certainly do.  This website is a resource, not a straitjacket.

Every word a gem, ghost_of_morphy. If it's on ProgArchives, it's because experienced collaborators thought it was prog, not because they thought everyone would agree with them.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've always been a big tenter when it comes to what I consider prog.  Even so I think having the three metal sub-genres was a bit extreme.  Not that I'm complaining.  There's plenty of good music that I really like in other subs. 

One other thought, if you're buying something without trying it and throwing it in the trash when you don't like it, you're nuts!  Sell it on half.com or to your local used record store, even donate it to your local public library.

Or better yet, make a donation to the "Debrewguy needs more music Foundation". All donations will be given a respectful listen, and then burnt,  traded or sold a local used record shop, so as to obtain more music to burn, trade or sell.
Eventually, I will have so much music, that I will rule the PA world with irrefutable authority due to my massive collection. And be able to insulate my outside walls with CD racks.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12