Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGravenhurst

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gravenhurst
    Posted: July 12 2008 at 14:26
i think Gravenhurst shoould be here on progarchives, they are psychedelic/krautrock
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 16:09
Interesting band, listening to the Bristol based band's myspace tracks now (enjoying them).. Sort of psych/ folk/ Krautrock related/ alt/ shoegaze...:  I'll mention it to the psych team (and Crossover).  I like certain psych folk elements (reminscent at times of certain acid folk bands -- Comus in particular and one hears a Simon and Garfunkle influence), but they went through various styles.  Based on some of what I've read, and some of what I'm hearing, I think Crossover might be a good fit (but haven't heard enough yet).

Here's the myspace: http://www.myspace.com/gravenhurst

Official website: http://www.gravenhurstmusic.com/

Here's what are listed as their influences at myspace:

06/08/2005
Band Websitegravenhurstmusic.com
Band MembersNick Talbot - Voice and guitars and other instruments
Dave Collingwood - Drums and cymbals
Robin Allender - Bass guitar and electrical devices
Alex Wilkins - Guitar
InfluencesThe Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, Simon and Garfunkel, Richard Thompson, Low, Flying Saucer Attack, Sandy Denny, Joy Division, Spacemen 3, The Velvet Underground, Mark Knopfler, Broadcast, Fairport Convention, Elliott Smith, The Cure, Brian Eno, Husker Du, Red House Painters, Bert Jansch, Wire, Suzanne Vega, The Auteurs, Sonic Youth, Talk Talk, Yo La Tengo... I think you understand the problem we have here.

Here's the wikipedia link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravenhurst_(band)

Gravenhurst is a band from Bristol, England signed to Warp Records.

Gravenhurst's latest album, The Western Lands, was released on 10 September 2007. The singer, guitarist and songwriter, Nick Talbot, is also one half of self-described "Victorian Clockworktronica" ensemble, Bronnt Industries Kapital.

Gravenhurst's music has been described as dark and highly atmospheric, veering between the noisy shoegazing sound of guitar bands such as My Bloody Valentine, and the more traditional singer-songwriter territory of Simon and Garfunkel, Bert Jansch and Nick Drake.[1] Earlier releases were grounded in acoustic and folk styles, while Fires in Distant Buildings made moves towards psychedelic rock. Flying Saucer Attack, a cult Bristol outfit who released a series of feedback-drenched, folk-inspired albums in the early 1990s, have been cited by Talbot as a major influence.[2].

A constant in the Gravenhurst sound is Talbot's fragile voice and unsettling and mysterious lyrical themes.[3]

Gravenhurst wrote and recorded original soundtrack music for the film Ein Freund Von Mir. As well as the bespoke 'Song Among The Pine', the Gravenhurst songs 'Animals', ' The Velvet Cell' and 'Song From Under The Arches' feature prominently in the film.

Gravenhurst have recorded cover versions of Hüsker Dü's "Diane", "See My Friends" by The Kinks, "Farewell, Farewell" by Fairport Convention and "Longest River" by War Against Sleep.

Nick Talbot keeps a weblog entitled "The Police Diver's Notebook".

Edited by Logan - July 12 2008 at 16:10
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Winand007 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 13:44
thx, for checking them out ^^
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 14:38
No problem.  I neglected to update you before.  I was quite sure that psych would not accept them (and no way Kraut would, so I never mentioned it to them) so thought Crossover may be a possibility, but it's very probably not right for inclusion in that category.  Anyway, Dean (of the Crossover team) enjoyed it, and has ordered an album.

For me the music sounds kind of proggy (due to some psych elements), but not that prog.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply