Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCMX, proggy enough yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMX, proggy enough yet?
    Posted: August 19 2008 at 07:16
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Finnish rock band CMX and have noticed the progressiveness of their recent music. Last year's Talvikuningas was a pure conceptual prog album with a mystical science fiction storyline. Aion (2003) was more song oriented, but focused around a theme, used unusual time signatures and song structures and had a very experimental feel. Dinosaurus Stereophonicus (2000) had a traditional 70's prog sound clearly influenced by King Crimson, Yes and even Tangerine Dream. Prog influences can also be heard on earlier albums, just think of songs like "Silmien ummistamisesta Nansenin galvanointiin", "Pilvien kuningas" and "Aivosähköä." I'm thinking prog related, or maybe even heavy prog.
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 23:12
I'm not familiar with them but they seem to be approved by the PMT. 
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:09
CMX deserves a place in PA. I totally agree Vompatti's statement. Maybe I'd put them under Prog Related.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 06:43
Originally posted by burritounit burritounit wrote:

I'm not familiar with them but they seem to be approved by the PMT. 
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 13:36
I wouldn't assume that Matti didn't read your post, and that it therefore requires repeating.

Matti, as is everyone, is entitled to express his/her opinion on placement even if the Prog Metal Team has accepted it.

I wish more people would throw in their two cents in this forum.

I wonder when it was accepted?  It hasn't generated much discussion at the board in the past (at least in the public fora concerning dedicated topics).

Topics / Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Suggest New Bands and Artists
General Music Discussions
Locked%20Topic
CMX-Talvikuningas
By Logos, September 09 2007 at 06:36
0 95 By Logos
September 09 2007 at 06:36View%20Last%20Post
Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Locked%20Topic
Message%20Icon CMX : Talvikuningas
By hemmetti, September 08 2007 at 04:59
1 39 By Vompatti
September 08 2007 at 06:45View%20Last%20Post
Locked%20Topic
CMX
By KapteeniKaarlo, April 17 2007 at 18:15
0 53 By KapteeniKaarlo
April 17 2007 at 18:15View%20Last%20Post

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 00:12
Well...it appears they were accepted long before I was made part of the team...and I still dunno what they sound like.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 12:26

Accepted... huh? I've been listening to these guys for a long time. Well, my mom has, but anyway. I think they're one of the big Finnish rock bands and have made a great difference in the rock/heavy rock scenen here, but I would never have considered them to be added to PA. After all, to me they were always just a rock band with an awesome lyrics-writer/composer who likes to break boundaries.

Though I guess saying these guys are just art rock with prog influences is a bit daft when at the same time I'm suggesting Von Hertzen Brothers to be added here. I'm just sad that thread of mine died a second time, it's like no-one really is interested :/

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Accepted... huh? I've been listening to these guys for a long time. Well, my mom has, but anyway. I think they're one of the big Finnish rock bands and have made a great difference in the rock/heavy rock scenen here, but I would never have considered them to be added to PA. After all, to me they were always just a rock band with an awesome lyrics-writer/composer who likes to break boundaries.

Though I guess saying these guys are just art rock with prog influences is a bit daft when at the same time I'm suggesting Von Hertzen Brothers to be added here. I'm just sad that thread of mine died a second time, it's like no-one really is interested :/

I've found that the Von Hertzen Brothers was suggested twice for the archives:

Hot%20Topic
A call on von Hertzen Brothers
By Passionist, September 18 2007 at 06:49
9 147 By micky
August 19 2008 at 05:46View%20Last%20Post
Locked%20Poll
Message%20Icon Von Hertzen Brothers
By Zappa88, March 31 2007 at 14:57
4 68 By Zappa88
April 16 2007 at 21:05View%20Last%20Post

And it was accepted ny Xover due to your proposal.  Heck, I've made suggestions that have received no response in the forum.

It's not in the archives yet.  After Dean said it had been accepted for Xover, Micky wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Clap  Tuomas if you'd like to do the bio and get us all the info... we'll make you a prog immortal and credit you with the addition hahahha.

You didn't get a PM back to yours, so didn't notice the responses?

Edited by Logan - August 21 2008 at 18:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 11:11
Haha, no I got no PMs, no PMS or replies. But as I already volunteered, I'll be doing the bio and the info once it's added or something. Anyway, funny I should get this in an unrelated thread when there's 2 related already
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 12:49
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Haha, no I got no PMs, no PMS or replies. But as I already volunteered, I'll be doing the bio and the info once it's added or something. Anyway, funny I should get this in an unrelated thread when there's 2 related already

Sorry, but I don't follow.  You brought up von Hertzen Bros in this thread and I was responding to your comment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 14:03
Yep, and because I shouldn't have done it, I brought it back to the real topic.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 14:53
I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't have done it.  I was trying to take an interest and inform.  You ended on that note in your post rather than bringing it back on topic ( hadn't guessed that you were bringing up something that you thought you shouldn't do).  Generally, I agree with the sentiment though, if going off-topic, one should bring it back on topic in one's post.  I hadn't minded digressing since I had already responded, and CMX had been accepted anyway as burritounit had noted; just not added yet.  So not much more that needed to be said on that topic; especially by me.

I do try to respond to many topics in this forum in a useful way, not just if they have anything to do with Eclectic (and did before I was team member since I don't like to see topics not getting responses; mine or anyones).

Anyway, sorry if there was a misunderstanding.  I hadn't meant to be unfriendly or critical.  Peace, Tuomas.  No offence was intended, so I sincerely apolgise if I came across as rude.

Following your advive of getting back on topic: I briefly listened to CMX at myspace and am unsure based on my too little experience.  I would have thought Related, Heavy, or Xover (metal is one strong element).  However, I didn't listen proprly because there is asleeping baby on my shoulder.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 15:38

When I listen to CMX, my favourite songs, the ones that tell most of the real style fo the band are the most known ones like the ones you can find on youtube, for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJKbL-cAdrE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MamGSqtpins . The newer stuff seems to have more of the metal elements, and yeah, heavy riffs are a lot easier to make progressive, so I guess that's why they went that way, also, well, heavier stuff is a lto more popular nowadays. At least they've done it well.

@ Logan, no hard feelings what so ever. I'm kidding around which might have been a bit unclear, and I just thought I'd clarify it up a bit in the 2nd post that I made.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 09:09
I agree that the new albums sound more metal than the old ones (which on the other hand sound a lot like Pixies) but in my opinion most of the tracks on Myspace and Youtube are CMX at their most pop (or heavy rock) and do not give a full picture of their sound (past or present). If I'd have to pick songs that are representative of their basic sound I'd choose something a little more "crooked" like Työt ja päivät, Rautakantele, Kansantalouden saavutusten näyttely and Kuoleman risteyksestä kolme virstaa pohjoiseen.
 Post Reply Post Reply