Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDog Fashion Disco (for metal)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog Fashion Disco (for metal)
    Posted: August 19 2008 at 18:51
A search showed that Dog Fashion Disco was suggested for inclusion in 2007; however, since old threads are locked now, I will start a new thread.

Here's a link to the old topic for reference:

Locked%20Topic
Dog Fashion Disco
By Drakk, May 22 2007 at 21:48
5 61 By Drakk
July 15 2007 at 16:39View%20Last%20Post

It is quite an eclectic band that blends death metal/ rock/ screamo/ nu metal and various other styles.  It's more of an experimental/ avantish metal band.  It's kind of crossover and prog related in some aspects (bands which have similar traits), but I think it might well be a good addition to the Experimental/ Post Metal or Extreme Prog Metal category (damned if I know those categories that well).

There are many myspace pages with music: CLICK
It pays to listen to many of the samples, and I found it good to listen to various pages, because the music is quite diverse (that being one one reason why I think it good for the archives) -- rather retro pop/rock in some..

Just copying in some of the myspace pages with description (just page one)

Dog Fashion Disco - "SEPT. 12..."
Metal / Rock / Progressive
Baltimore, Maryland
www.myspace.com/dogfashiondisco

Dog Fashion Disco
Screamo / Death Metal / Electronica
Wombat, West Virginia
www.myspace.com/dogfashiondiscoownsyou

Dog Fashion Disco - "Straight..."
Industrial / Disco House / Neo-soul
TUCSON, Arizona
www.myspace.com/gdsfgsdfgdsfgd

Dog Fashion Disco
Metal / Jazz / Other
www.myspace.com/dogfdisco

Dog Fashion Disco
Experimental
ELKRIDGE, Maryland
www.myspace.com/dogfashiondisco1212

Dog Fashion Disco
Metal / Jazz / Other
KEMAH, Texas
www.myspace.com/dogfashiondisco69

Dog Fashion Disco
Experimental / Metal
FREDERICK, Maryland
www.myspace.com/poopdity

Dog Fashion Disco
Rock
www.myspace.com/dogfashiondiscofan

Dog Fashion Disco - "Don't fall..."
Metal
SIMPSONVILLE, South Carolina
www.myspace.com/spydrfanpage2

dog fashion disco
Rock
SANDUSKY, Ohio
www.myspace.com/dogfashiondiscoboetc

dogfashiondisco.com

Will be very interested to hear what people think.  It's not altogether prog to these ears, but interesting, and I think worthy of addition.

Edited by Logan - August 19 2008 at 18:56
Just a fanboy passin' through.
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 19:06
I'll check them out...which of those is the real band's space?Confused

"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 19:09
The first one is.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 19:10
Ohhh OK. Thanks!Thumbs%20Up
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 19:16
Very interesting band indeed, with a very eclectic sound. Their music could be debatable weather if it's prog or not. This band deserves a few more listens...Confused
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 19:51
If it weren't so metal, it's one I would have kicked around for "art rock" appraisal.  It has prog qualities, but there is definitely music of the non-prog variety, I'd say.  Wish I had the Adultery album to check out.

art metal crossover of the heavy eclectic variety....

I thought this page pretty good for song selections before: Dog Fashion Disco - "Don't fall..."

At the very least, it's Prog Related (maybe even sounds more Prog than Iron Maiden ;)).

Incidentally, the avanters originally took an interest (based on description -- compared to Mr. Bungle), but it's not good for avant prog.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 19:54
I'm not a metal fan but I love the band name. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If it weren't so metal, it's one I would have kicked around for "art rock" appraisal.  It has prog qualities, but there is definitely music of the non-prog variety, I'd say.  Wish I had the Adultery album to check out.

Agreed.Thumbs%20Up And I think there's more of what is in bold than prog. Like I said before they need more careful listens.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 21:08
That's what I meant in my first post when I said, " It's not altogether prog to these ears, but interesting, and I think worthy of addition." Worthy of addition to the archives I thought, though that may be in a prog related capacity.  Perhaps I was being generous with "altogether" -- thought of editing that before or rephrasing as I meant while it's not that prog to me, it has elements/ qualities that I often associate with Prog (fusion of styles, some interesting twists, quirkiness etc.).

Anyway, I knew I was pushing it a bit with this one (secret agenda: the furor over this addition may create a smokescreen for Metallica and Coltrane to get in.  Just kidding, of course, as that makes no real sense).

Slartibartfast: it's the name that drew my attention.  I love those wacky names. :)

Check out this faux dog food commercial (just popped into my head):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZUYDtF_aj8
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 21:22

That's what I meant in my first post when I said, " It's not altogether prog to these ears, but interesting, and I think worthy of addition." Worthy of addition to the archives I thought, though that may be in a prog related capacity.  Perhaps I was being generous with "altogether" -- thought of editing that before or rephrasing as I meant while it's not that prog to me, it has elements/ qualities that I often associate with Prog (fusion of styles, some interesting twists, quirkiness etc.).

Anyway, I knew I was pushing it a bit with this one (secret agenda: the furor over this addition may create a smokescreen for Metallica and Coltrane to get in.  Just kidding, of course, as that makes no real sense).

Slartibartfast: it's the name that drew my attention.  I love those wacky names. :)

Yeah...I think prog related might be best suited for them, since I don't think their a fully prog metal band. It's just like you say: they just have some of the elements.

Edited by burritounit - August 19 2008 at 21:23
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 21:44
Originally posted by burritounit burritounit wrote:

Yeah...I think prog related might be best suited for them, since I don't think their a fully prog metal band. It's just like you say: they just have some of the elements.

Indeed they aren't a fully prog metal band -- they aren't even fully metal, let alone fully prog anything.  Anyway, thanks burritounit (I just got your name -- as in a "burrito unit") -- depending on what the other Prog Metalers say,  I expect they'll agree, I won't bother pushing it for PR.  The PR guys have so many evaluations on their plates as it is, and I didn't even know these guys before (the name has wacky avant overtones though).  I still rather think that if there were art metal subcategories, this might be considerable for one of those (a crossover one).  No, none of that, "Isn't art metal contradictory?" from the wags. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 21:57
Well...no problem.LOLNot sure what you meant with my name(Inglish is not my main language after all and even if I know a lot of inglish I still have some trouble with certain frases). Oh and my name is related to the mexican foodLOL. Anyways back to the subject, if their not fully metal as you say then with more reason they shouldn't be in porg metal. Besides their not even fully metal nor prog(just like you said). But I'll wait what others have to say.Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 22:09
I'd been reading your name sort of like "burn it out" as said by someone with a  serious speech impediment until I suddenly saw it as two words, burrito and unit.  Never examined your name that closely, but I have a tendency to, sometimes talk out loud when reading here.  Well, not actually talk out loud, but "voice", or a mental equivalent, certain words I see here in my head.  So it's like your name gave my brain a mental impediment -- made it splutter.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 22:16

I'd been reading your name sort of like "burn it out" as said by someone with a  serious speech impediment until I suddenly saw it as two words, burrito and unit.  Never examined your name that closely, but I have a tendency to, sometimes talk out loud when reading here.  Well, not actually talk out loud, but "voice", or a mental equivalent, certain words I see here in my head.  So it's like your name gave my brain a mental impediment -- made it splutter.

I understand what mean. Sometimes I read names really fast and think their spelled in someway but when I read it carefully it says something totally different. LOLLOL
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 23:26
Their lyrics are very, very strange.  Saw them live at a local club probably 4 or 5 years ago.  Really wasn't interested in meeting the band at all ... LOL  Very pyschizo band.  Kind of like a nu-metal version of Unexpect.
 Post Reply Post Reply