Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gee of Pendragon releases new solo album
    Posted: September 14 2008 at 13:30

A Spiritual World
Peter's 3rd Solo album is now available form the Pendragon store! Mghty fine it is too!

Ive been listening to it all weekend, and here, for what they are worth are a few mumblings of mine... followed by a few, slightly more qualified mumblings from Peter!

Peter's new album "the Spiritual World" really shows Peter's talent as an all round accomplished musician, he plays all the guitars, bass, and keys on the album and is beautifully complimented by Steve Thorne, Simon Clew, and Steve Christey. A mixture of vocal songs and instrumental tracks this is nicely balanced album. Steve vocals on this album are stunning, at times quite Gabrielesque and fragile and at other times with inspiration or strength and sorrow. Whatever your faith I think that this is a pretty inspiring body of work and well worth the wait! http://www.pendragon.mu/uk/files/newsindepth.htm
Personal Favourites are "when the flood comes" a fairly untempo number, and one that most people will be able to indentify with. "One Summer's Day" which is the story of Peter's parents early life and how they met, it's moving and beautiful tribute to his parents and the faith that kept them, with a really fabulous instrumental passage. My top favourite, and one that hit me with the very first listen is "Falling Snow" this song is where I think both Steve & Peter excell themselves, it's a all year round Christmas song and touched something in me that I can't quite explain, (even if for this song alone- buy this album! ) beautiful guitar work, this song conjures up emotions and pictures that makes it a very precious thing! Most surprising track I think is "A Matter of the Heart" I think Peter has earned himself the new nick name Peter Gee-Meola with this one! Great guitar work on this short instrumental! and finally a special mention for "Fly to Paradise", no clever words from me here, it's jst a song I just really like! Smile
Over all, once again I think that this album shows a different side to Peter from the Pendie we are used to, his song writing is solid and captivating, and displays a tranquil self assurance that has an enormous strength and inspirational quality. Steve Thorne does an incredible job on the vocals, and I am reminded what a top guy he is, I'll have to dig his albums out and give them a spin today!
http://www.stevethorne.co.uk/

And here is what Peter has had to say....

This album sees me playing all of the guitars, keyboards and basses and just drafting in Steve Christey (Jadis) to record all of the drums, and Steve Thorne (Solo artist and Jadis) and Simon Clew (A Million Blues) to complete the vocals.

Initially I was hoping to use Simon Clew as the vocalist for the whole album, but in the event, due to other commitments, Simon was only able to sing on one song for me. All of the main vocals on the album have now been done by Steve Thorne, which has been a real blessing for me. Steve has brought so much to the album, through his backing vocal arrangements, and the passion and heart and soul that he puts into every song. Steve really is a very talented vocalist and singer songwriter who is very much underrated in my humble opinion, and should be a lot more high profile than he already is! For those of you who are not sure who Steve Thorne is, then he is the guy who supported Pendragon with Gary Chandler on the "Believe Tour" in 2006. I just want to take this opportunity to thank Steve Thorne, Simon Clew, Steve Christey, Rob Aubrey and Karl Groom for all that they have brought to this album to make the finshed product sound as good as it does. Thanks very much guys!

I am just so pleased and thrilled that after such a long wait, 10 years plus, since my last album, "A Vision Of Angels" that "The Spiritual World" is finally going to be released, and I am so happy with the final result. One main difference with this album is that it was mixed by Rob Aubrey (also the Pendragon live sound engineer for the last 15 years) and not Karl Groom. Due to Karl's commitments with metal band, "Dragon Force" he was unable to give me the time to mix the album, so Rob stepped in, and I am really pleased with the finished result. Rob did a fantastic job, even though I left him with lots of preparation work before we actually started the finished mixes at Aubitt Studios in Southampton!

Finally, due to the length of the album 3 of the orignal tracks didn't make the final selection, but I hope to use these bonus tracks at some stage in the future.

So the final track listing is:

Eternity, Polish Beauty, Gloria In Excelsis, You Gave Me Life, Canaletto,

When The Flood Comes, The Lady In My Life, Overwhelmed By Mercy,

Return To Life, Angel Falls, One Summer's Day, Sunset Boulevard,

Falling Snow, A Matter Of The Heart, Fly To Paradise, Alison, My Angel.

Please do let me know your comments on the album, either positive or
negative, to:
[email protected]

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap 
 Post Reply Post Reply