Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs This Prog Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 06:11
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Too many personal attacks, this thread is temporarily closed.

It's not closed... Confused
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 06:17
This thread has been re-opened, you'll be cool and play nice.

It is OK to criticize our band choices for PA inclusion, most of us have different choices we don't agree on etc etc.

It's not OK to engage in personal attacks, those posts have been banished to hell.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 06:31
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if that is a criticism of the site and it's collaborators. However, these comments and their responses should be polite and respectful at all times regardless of the provocation.

Prog Related is a highly contentious and controversial category - even among Collaborators and Admins - we all know and accept this. However all Prog sites have such a section in one form or another for various reasons. Some sites are less inclusive than us, others are more so - some list bands we would never dream of adding, while we list some bands that other's haven't considered.

The value in gauging the effect of Prog on the Mainstream, and the effect of the Mainstream on Prog is of academic importance to some who are interested in the roots, history and development of Prog. It would be irrational and inaccurate to think that Progressive Rock, Jazz-Rock/Fusion and Progressive Metal existed in isolation from the rest of the music world - by listing those bands that exist on the fringes of Prog we put into perspective those bands that are undeniably Prog - in effect the two extremes form reference points to the whole world of Prog - we are not looking to make the net wider, just to define the boundaries a little more accurately. For those bands that do not fit your specific definition, the solution is simple: ignore them - the inclusion of New Kids On The Block in the archive under Prog Related will not lessen the importance of King Crimson, but it would dilute the value of Prog Related - we are selective in the bands we add and only add them for specific reasons.

The key word is Related - the relationship to Progressive Music is the prime directive. Anyone can take a narrow-band view of a Prog Related band and have a knee-jerk reaction to their inclusion, but it is in the broader perspective that they must be measured by.

Incidentally - Metallica do not appear in the Top 100 - the highest placed Prog Related album is Wishbone Ash's Argus at #43 (arguably a 100% Prog album) - the next is Queen II at #63 (another arguably 100% Prog album) followed by A Night At The Opera at #92 (has its Prog moments - The Prophet's Song, for example) -  Kate Bush is at #94 with the Hounds Of Love (a Prog concept album by many standards) - that's it: 4 albums by three artists.
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 06:58
I've been into Kate Bush since the Dreaming came out and have always considered her prog and not merely related.  I've never been one to get my panties in wad over where artists get stuck on this site or even artists that get included here that I don't think are prog or artists that I think are worthy and others don't that haven't been added, so there. TongueLOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 07:18

I don't think that the realm of prog has sharp bounds. And therefore, though I feel tempted to bash at genres like Tech/Extreme Prog Metal and some pop or hard rock bands being labelled as 'Prog Related', I leave the inclusion of bands and artists in PA to the experts, and being into prog for thirty-six years has not made me an expert. Moreover, even Genesis from 'And Then There Were Three' on is not pure prog.

So what's this fuss about?

Edited by someone_else - January 04 2009 at 15:24
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 09:50

Presumably with such a low opionion of the site Pamastrike will not be hanging around here anyway.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 11:55
Originally posted by Pamastrike Pamastrike wrote:

by the way i was being sarcastic so i'm off the hook, i can no longuer trust in this pathtic website

Then shut up and never come back.  I am so sick of jerks like you.  Angry
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 12:05
The funny thing Pamastrike, is that you would maybe had got some partial supporters if you had at least a hint of education.

It's true that not all of us agree with all the bands here, but that's how life is, our opinions are worth the same than the opinions of others, and if a band is added, then forget it, they won't leave the site.

Next time make an effort and act at least as if you were 11 years old,. because my 6 years nephew is much more respectful than you.

Iván

Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 17:36
Remember, the definition of prog-related is rock that is a little different and that everyone likes.
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 23:04
I query the reckless use of the ' ? ' - question mark . No...no...by that I don't mean ask me . I'm speaking grammatically of course .

But if you were to ask me............well, I'd say nothing more needs to be said.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 02:36
Well, I thought it was very amusing.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 21:07
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Remember, the definition of prog-related is rock that is a little different and that everyone likes.

Oh Oh, don't mention that "everyone likes" . Some here take offense at groups that have more fans than band members.LOL
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 18:23
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

I'll give you this parmastrike: I haven't seen so dumbed down debate techniques in action since I overheard some pre-teens discussing Spice Girls way back when.

I may not have the edumacation of a pre-teen, but I can discuss Spice Girls quite well. First off, they clearly modeled themselves after the CTTE Yes. Baby Spice is Rick Wakeman with her golden locks of love, Ginger Spice is the fiery reincarnated soul of Jon Anderson, Posh Spice is Bill Bruford for the sheer amount of sexuality exuded from each of them, Sporty Spice is Chris Squire as they are the most hardcore of each band, which leaves Scary Spice to take after Steve Howe solely for the fact that they are both strong black women.

Honestly, the bassline on Wannabe is inspired and beats anything I've heard from the progworld since. The lyrics of "I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ha" follow the same comprehensible style of Yes lyrics. It may be in 4/4 but they tried to be somewhat simple in order to bring the prog message to the masses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12