Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTechnicality or Creativity?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technicality or Creativity?
    Posted: April 29 2005 at 15:48

What matters more in Progressive Music?

I mean, I consider myself a prog rock fan, but I don't particularly enjoy the mainstays (better known) of the genre. Take for instance Dream Theater (don't hit me please!!!) The operatic singer grates on me, the keyboards churn my stomach and I find the solos superfluous and over the top. The early stuff sounds the same and the later stuff sounds like Tool. But there's One thing I will not deny. They are all very techincal and talented musicians.

On to my next example, which is Tool (not my fave, I'm a Schizoid Man) which is not as technical in the string departments but I find to be far more inspiring and limit pushing than former. They get a clearer point across with less flair (excusez Danny sil vous plait!) and leave room for evolution from album to album. The concepts aren't as thought out and aren't as easy to grasp but aren't shoved in your face either. I also enjoy musicians who "don't even play their instruments" like Squarepusher, Luke Vibert and Aphex Twin who are extremely technical.

So who is it Yngwie Malmsteen or Johnny Greenwood?

I think you can tell from my very prejudiced preface who I would pick but I want to hear from you.

... And yes I expect to get severely flamed for giving a negative opinion on Dream Theater.

alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 16:13

Don't worry, a lot of people hate DT on this website....

It's a hard choice, but it all depends for me.  For me, a good example of Technicality (sp) has been the Mahavishnu Orchestra.  Not a single poor musician there, and every song they ever did is nothing but technical.  However, I've yet to hear a song by them that doesn't soud like they put 100% into it.

On the other hand, you have bands like The Who, which aren't some of the most Technical players in the world, who created some of the best Rock music ever, Bar none.  It's just a taste thing

Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 16:45
Exactly, it's all taste. Also, nice username.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 17:27
Well... I love Dream Theater but still.. I respect You're opinion; They have everithing what i expect of music...  Great Melodies... Complicated isntrumental parts and heavyness... But also grace and gentelness... They're the most flexible band of all time... And You never know how the next album will sound like... 4 me Prog metal = Dream Theater...
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 17:38
Originally posted by 1loveac1d 1loveac1d wrote:

I also enjoy musicians who "don't even play their instruments" like Squarepusher, Luke Vibert and Aphex Twin who are extremely technical.

I don't think Squarepusher fits into that category

But to answer your question, insofar as they can be seperated I'd prefer creativity to technicality. The problem being that a lack of grasping techicality limits how creative one can be - if Kurt Cobain had spent years perfecting his writing technique without improving on guitar, his guitar playing wouldn't have got any more interesting. I'm sure his songwriting could have done, but even the most interesting tunes need something interesting going on in the playing too, elsewise they can get dull mighty quickly!

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 17:55
IMO both matter in prog music. Creativity maybe even more because decent technicality is enough while creativity must be above-average.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 18:03
i think an even blend of both is more desireable than a predominance of one over the other....i know this isnt prog but the best example i can think of this is jimi hendrix, as technical as he was creative and original, imo

Edited by hopelevre
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 18:28

Originally posted by hopelevre hopelevre wrote:

i think an even blend of both is more desireable than a predominance of one over the other....i know this isnt prog but the best example i can think of this is jimi hendrix, as technical as he was creative and original, imo

+1

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
1loveac1d View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 20:04

Okay Goose, so i forgot that Squarepusher is a Bass virtuoso, Good call though... But its still awesome company I put him there with. And also, I consider drum-machines an instrument, hence the quotations.(anyone who doesn't buy it, sit down with a TR-303 for a few hours)

But I what I am trying to say is what album falls flat harder?

An overly technical unoriginal album? ala DT (sorry)

or

An underly technical overly creative album. ala Skinny Puppy's Download.

Now, the answer for me is while I turn both off at reasonably the same time, one out of boredom, the other out of the urge to vomit, I return the vomit- er I mean Download, because of the "wtf were they on?" effect. I Care more about what going on in the songs on one bad album than the songs on another. i just generally find you can remember why you don't like a technical album quicker than you can with an artsy album...

In My Inflated Opinion however, King Crimson is the perfunctory example of technicality meets creativity. All the technicality of DT and all the creativity of Radiohead yet precursor to them both.

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 20:10
CREATIVITY BY FAR, simply some of the best prog
ever made is contained in the early Moody Blues,
nothing to complex but way more creative than most
prog bands ever achieved! Their early stuff plays like
a religious experience, which it was!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 21:33
if the question is which falls flat harder i say it is the technical/insipid one.....pouring something new over the ears will always provide some sense of novelty for some time, while the other can come across as pretentious as i think we all are aware

Edited by hopelevre
The Minstrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 21:44
I think in order to be creative you need to be technical.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 22:34
you are right, the creativity has to have some knowledge to spring forth from, but i thought it was an issue of predominance rather than all/nothing
illustrated View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 22:36
Creativity.
HaroldLand View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 22:48
i agree that creativity and technicality must jive just right to make great music.. i think one could take any prog band and see that this jive holds true for most of the bands.. there are exceptions on both aspects, but for the most part, i think it's the mix of the two that make the music just right.. that's why we all love it!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 00:20

Prog Music (as any other genre) is a form of art, so it's clear that you need creativity to release something new and adventurous, specially in this case.

Creativity alone is futile  because you need a vehicle to transmit that musical idea or concept to make a coherent piece of music and that vehicle is the technical skills of the interpreters.

Technical skills without creativity means nothing either, because you can be a master in the keyboards but don't have the slightest idea how to compose a song that can move both, the intelligence and sensibility of the listener. A drummer can be technically a master, but two hours of drum solos will bore the most hardcore fan.

If you are texhnically skilled but don't have creativity, join an orchestra where the director will give you all the clues and provide you the whole concept, forget being part of a progressive band.

So a perfect balance between both aspects is the key, if a band is weak in any of both, will never be successful (Artistically  and/or economically).

Iván  

mwb498 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 00:31
Does Tori Amos qualify as prog?  Magnetizm, charisma, technical proficiency, unity, radiates erogyny, manifests many a universe, and she's just bloody mad

Edited by mwb498
the moment of defecation is worth a thousand flatulations
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 01:00

Quote Does Tori Amos qualify as prog?  Magnetizm, charisma, technical proficiency, unity, radiates erogyny, manifests many a universe, and she's just bloody mad

No way Mbw498, but I believe you need tecnical skill and creativity for any genre, not only for prog.

Of course there are musicians that lack of both and have success or musicians that have both and compose crap, but that's other story.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply