Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pictures at an Exhibition - the photography thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures at an Exhibition - the photography thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 919293
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 18:37
I'm trying out a new photo hosting site, so hopefully the embedded links work. 

All of the images sent back to us by Hubble have been absolutely amazing. But I didn't know until recently that deep sky objects (objects outside our solar system) could actually be captured in detail using amateur equipment. It involves a lot of time in post-processing, stacking images, enhancing luminance, cleaning backgrounds, etc. I am in no way proficient at it, but I captured these in the last few months from my driveway with a mirrorless camera, and most recently an astromodified DSLR with a Canon 300mm f4L lens. Eventually I will get a telescope (probably quite a few if I end up as absorbed in this as others I have seen on the web) and dedicated narrowband cameras to advance my repertoire. This is likely to get expensive.

This is NGC 6960, 6992, 6995, 6974. Combined form the Veil Nebula. Very dirty production.

The first galaxy I captured. M51, also known is the Whirlpool galaxy, appx. 25,000,000 light years away. Its actually 2 galaxies that have collided. The core to the right, NGC 5194 has actually passed through from our perspective and is further away from us. It was quite a rush the first time I saw the galaxy on my view screen. It is cropped way down as it only takes up about 1% of the screen at the focal length I use. 

This is M101, The Pinwheel Galaxy. It is really difficult to get color out of this galaxy. Background much dirtier than I like. About 21,000,000 light years away. I really like the really tiny, much further away background galaxies to the right. There is also an elliptical galaxy to the left.  

This is the easiest deep sky object (pair actually) I have captured. NGC 7000, known as the North America nebula, and IC 5070, the Pelican Nebula. I have imaged this 3 times now, so when it is in the sky it will be my litmus test for new equipment. The first image is with my full-frame Canon EOS R. It is not astromodified so it is missing a lot of the hydrogen data which is red. The bottom is with an EOS 77d that has been modified with the red-eye filter removed. I like the full view with the EOS R that includes the bright star Deneb to the right. However, the hydrogen data of the second, more red image grants much more detail. Especially on the left side feature known as the Cygnus Wall.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 19:06
I don't have a Hubble Telescope, mine broke.
But I do have a Nikon and a wide angle lens. Thumbs Up

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 20:23
^Do you have a telephoto? You too can enter the world of DSO astrophotography. Though I do recommend a tracker. Even for your wide field stuff. Here's my mirrorless rig. 300mm f4L was like $600 on ebay. Shipped from Japan in 3 days. Looked like it was never used. 

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 22:03
Yes I do.
I guess if I was more into astrophotography I'd make the investment.
I'm one of those photographers who doesn't get pigeonholed into one segment of the art. I shoot pictures. Not baby pictures, not kitty pictures, not pictures of mountains or flowers...just pictures. Whatever crops up or can be cropped out. I go on photo hunts. Jump in the car and start driving down roads I've never been on to towns I've never been in. If I return with even one picture that is portfolio worthy I label the adventure a success.
But nice rig !
And love the CD racks.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2021 at 22:33
I just got absolutely hooked on it. I've taken photos I was proud of, but there was no feeling like seeing that galaxy 25,000,000 light years away in my view finder. Its been years since I was that giddy about a hobby related event. 
Another photography subfield that I find intriguing is full spectrum photography. You can really get some bizarre effects on landscapes. 
Yes, the racks make a guest appearance. There's another 600 or so out of view to the left.    
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 05:51
Mine are just a little bigger.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 07:42
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Do you have a telephoto?

Hi,

Mannn ... that is one weird musical instrument on a tripod! How do you play it? Smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 08:56
Quote How do you play it?

with a pick
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2021 at 10:01
I'd say a bow or sticks !

Edited by JD - August 01 2021 at 10:01
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2021 at 18:59
M31- Andromeda Galaxy, finally comes up over the trees far enough for a photo (not to mention the smoke that finally cleared up. Typically deep sky photography requires more exposure time to offset sensor noise and distortion than what is afforded me in my driveway this time of year. This was 65 x 45 second stacked exposures for roughly 46 minute total exposure. 

Its cloudy and raining now, but when it clears up I'm going to try this one with the more expensive camera.

Edited by Tapfret - August 07 2021 at 19:01
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 11:31
Great astrophotos! I've been hesitating shortly about investing in astrophotography, but decided not to go that route, and since I'm mostly sleeping at night I continue to photograph clouds, when I look up at the sky (not at hand now, but I have different series of those).

Just a recent one from my chair in front of the house - it's called "Dinnertime":

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 919293