FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRick Wakeman Six Wives of Henry VIII pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman Six Wives of Henry VIII pics
    Posted: May 03 2009 at 06:14
Mrs P and I went to the second night of Rick Wakeman performing the Six Wives of Henry VIII at Hampton Court palace yesterday.  What a superb prog day out!  The tickets included entry to Hampton Court itself so we spent the afternoon wandering round the courtyards and rooms taking in the history and building the atmosphere.

The stage was right in front of the main entrance to Hampton Court and the impressive light and stage show was made even more spectacular by the palace being lit up.  Rick and the English Rock Ensemble performed along side a full orchestra and choir (who did all the mellotron and choir parts!)   Brian Blessed was brilliant at the narration, which told the full story of Henry and his marriages.

We had great seats 8 rows from the front, more or less right in front of Rick's keyboards.  It was a very entertaining evening with everything you would expect from a Wakeman prog extravaganza right down to the glittering capes!

High spot of the night for me was the performance of Jayne Seymour.  Rick left his bank of keyboards to be greeted by two of Henry's six wives who exchanged his up until then red cape for a golden one, after which he climbed a set of illuminated stairs to what we thought was a bit of scenery, only for it to be revealed as a huge great pipe organ.  The organ sound for the solo was amazing - with the bass notes rattling the seats.

Anyway, enough writing, here's some pics:

Full set at the usual place:

http://www.myspace.com/neilpalfreyman

----------------
Listening to: Rick Wakeman - Catherine Howard

Edited by Neil Palfreyman - May 10 2009 at 12:34
Question everything, believe nothing
We talk music, we talk nothing
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 06:47
My god!

That looks amazing!

Lucky to have been there...

Hope you enjoyed it

I'm literally drooling over wakeman on a Keytar
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 09:42
I never knew Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves drank... Stella Artois!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 13:15
Rick still knows how to really take it beyond the limit ! just read his book. Fabulous.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 14:11
Great photos, wish I'd gone now.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 14:59
Yes, it looks very good.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 15:38
Awesome pics, i'm jealous Wink

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
mourningknight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 17:59
Wow!! Now that is something I was I could've seen!! Incredible pictures too. I am very jealous right now,lol.
Ken-Boston View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 17:49
Being a big time YES fan, I have seen Wakeman oh so many times, but he is ALWAYS AWEOME! He made Yes back in 1975, when I saw Yes over 4 times! I am so glad you enjoyed the show. I also saw him once solo in South Africa back in 1982.
Ken
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 18:03
Why can't he do this in NYC!!!!!!
why-do-i-bother View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 19:07
Sorry for being pedantic, but that useless piece of lard Henry the 8th only ever married twice, the other 4 were lovers. So now i proclaim this piece "Henry the great piece of fat, with 2 wives and 4 lovers".
Final question is how and why?
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 19:26
That does indeed look like it was an amazing show and, unlike much of Wakeman's output, the music itself no doubt lived up to the spectacle! Were there any cameras present? It would surely be missing a trick if they didn't put this performance out on DVD.

One thing though, given the enormous ticket price, that's some pretty shoddy seating by the looks of it! Could they really not afford anything better than folding plastic chairs?
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 20:56
Originally posted by why-do-i-bother why-do-i-bother wrote:

Sorry for being pedantic, but that useless piece of lard Henry the 8th only ever married twice, the other 4 were lovers. So now i proclaim this piece "Henry the great piece of fat, with 2 wives and 4 lovers".
Final question is how and why?
Sorry for being a stickler on historical accuracy, but he did marry all six. Unless you're a diehard papist and don't recognize the dispensations (however deceptively obtained). And it's generally held that he never consummated his marriage to Anne of Cleves, so they can't be considered lovers.
Neil Palfreyman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 02:27
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Were there any cameras present? It would surely be missing a trick if they didn't put this performance out on DVD.

There were cameras present on both nights and a DVD will be released.  No date has been announced yet but you can keep track of it here:

http://www.rwcc.com/live.asp#live

There was also a "recorded live on the night" CD produced which you can buy from the same link.  The audio quality is pretty good.

btw - thanks everyone for the comments on the pics.  I would have taken more but they were trying to stop people taking them under threat of being chucked out!
Question everything, believe nothing
We talk music, we talk nothing
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 23:20
This is my very first post on this forum, even though I've been visiting this site regularly for over a year. I was fortunate enough to attend to this concert too (and very fotunate indeed, since I live in Mexico and was able to include this show on my Holyday trip to Europe), only I went to the first date. I must say I enjoyed the show very much, Rick being one of my favourite artists, and 6 wives one of his best albums. Yet, I must say at some times I felt the orchestrations didn't sound quiet right; still, the choirs were always great. I would say Anne Boleyn was particularly well interpreted, as well as Catherine Howard (it's got a beautiful melody inserted near the beginning) and Jane Seymour (with added Chorus and orchestrations to a great effect). Anne of Cleves was rather a desapontment, the drums just couldn't make justice to the originals from Alan White.
     The show was pretty well done, Rick entered the stage acompanied through the palace's gates accompanied by his 6 wives, all clad in costumes from that age, and was greeted by some trumpets that began the first song, Tudorture, never heard before (rather nice song). The theme of this song was repeated later on with defender of the faith (another new song, but far too long and repetitive). As told before, during Jane Seymour, a Pipe organ was assembled towering on stage (for it had not been there before, for it wouldn't have allowed the sight to the Palace), so that Rick had to climb some rather long stairs before seating before the keyboards (as a fun anecdote, during this performance the wind was a bit strong, and it started blowing Wakeman's papers with the notes, so he had to put them back on their place while playing, only to throw them away when he was unable to do so). As a matter of fact, I'm not really sure that was a real Pipe organ, or just some keyboards with the "ornament" of the pipes for the show. Anne Boleyn was the last wife to be played, and at the end a grand piano was brought on stage for the performance of "the day thou gavest lord hath ended", also towering on stage so that Rick had to climb the stairs. The very last song was another "new" one, Tudorock, wich had the same theme as Tudoverture and Defender of the faith, but with excerpts of the wives inserted. It was rather cool.

Before the performance of Rick, we got a performance of the English Chamber Choir and of the Acoustic Strawbs, which were good (but I would have loved to hear Wakeman play piano with them). I was able to buy the album on the show, so I've heard the show many times since and can remember it well, and I hope I can get the DVD soon.
     Well, I hope I didn't bore you too much with this my first long post.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 12:38
Welcome, Dellinger. No, not a bore at all. . .
I enjoyed hearing about the theatrical embellishments and pageantry...seems such a natural for this presentation I wonder why it took so long. May it be so well received that he comes to the States with it!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 21:43
As a matter of fact there is a reason for this concert taking so long, and it is all told in the program that was sold at the concert. In 1973, Wakemans Manager asked him if he wanted to do a concert of the album to launch it, and Wakeman answered that he wanted to do the concert, at Hampton Court Palace. They wrote the letter, and the answer they received suggested that what Rick was asking for was tantamount to treason, and the Albert Hall and the Royal Festival Hall were offered. Yet Wakeman said that if he couldn't do it an Hampton he wouldn't do it at all. So it took him 36 years to have his dream fulfilled (and surely many of his fans dream too!).
 Post Reply Post Reply