FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull, Bergen June 4th 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull, Bergen June 4th 2009
    Posted: June 05 2009 at 15:44
Yesterday, my girlfriend and I went to see Tull. I've seen them once before, while my girlfriend isn't really much of a proghead so I've tried to educate her a little prior to the concert (see my compilation cd thread here http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58347).

Having already seen them once, I knew what to expect and I got exactly that. As the newspaper critic put it, 'a pleasant meeting with slightly moth-eaten former greats'. Ian Anderson unfortunately doesn't have much of a voice left, and at times it's almost painful watching him struggle to reach the high notes. However, it was less obvious in some songs compared to others. Heavy Horses and Farm On The Freeway both worked rather well, even with Ian's diminished vocals, while Cross-Eyed Mary and Back To The Family were quite bad. The instrumental songs worked decently well, as Ian sure still can play his flute. Martin Barre was, while not spectacular, certainly doing a respectable job. I was less than impressed with the bass player and the drummer though. In particular, the drum solo during Dharma For One seemed completely out of place.

On the plus side, they played more songs from Stand Up and This Was than I expected and a fairly lengthy excerpt from TAAB, on the down side Ian has no voice left. It might be time to call it quits and rest on their laurels..

3.5 of 5 stars.

Set list:

Cross-Eyed Mary
Beggar's Farm
Serenade to a Cuckoo
Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square
Farm On The Freeway
Back To The Family
Heavy Horses
Mother Goose
Bourée

Intermission

Pastime With Good Friends
Sweet Dream
Dharma For One
Thick As A Brick
My God
Aqualung

Encore: Locomotive Breath

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 00:38
Wow!

Sounds great

Even though I'm not a JT fan, I'd still say they're one of Prog's finest, and would love to see them one day.

Sounds like you enjoyed it!
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 08:00
I always wonder why people complain about Ian's voice. He never was the strongest rock singer, but he had and still has distinctive voice. Isn't that enough? IMO the essence of Tull's music is not in high notes.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
JethroTull View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 00:21
I've seen tull twice in the last two years and I've enjoyed it both times...that said, Anderson's vocals are far past their prime and it's tough to listen to at times.  If they came to town again, not sure if I'd go see them again at this point in their careers.  Instrumentals still sound great though.  
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 06:43
I've seen their tour continues up until September, I may go to a gig.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 14:33
Anderson really hasn't recovered fully from the problems he had with his voice in the 80's. Those who were at the Garden Party in Milton Keynes will remember the mainly instrumental set played there because he was still recovering from surgery.

Really, he has done exceptionally well to come back, and they do still put on a great show.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 22:24
How much of "Thick" was played? I assume he's still doing the Madison Square Gardens selection, minus the "Poet and the Painter" bit...
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Rip Van ProgWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 02:18
I saw Tull a few years back in San Diego.  I agree that Anderson does not have much of his voice left, and that took a great deal away from the show.  At the time, I thought Anderson should have another singer on hand to sing some of the songs that require more range.  (And having just seen Yes with Benoit David, one can see just how good a tribute band singer can be.)   It would require Anderson having enough confidence to deal with someone else singing on stage, but it would make for a better performance.  I would see them again with the additional singer; without it, it is just not worth it.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 06:56
Originally posted by Rip Van ProgWinkle Rip Van ProgWinkle wrote:

I thought Anderson should have another singer on hand to sing some of the songs that require more range.  

Have you heard Tull is Ian's band? LOL 
Even in my nightmares I don't want to see JT with another singer.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 10:06
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I always wonder why people complain about Ian's voice.

I simply don't like the way it sounds now... is that a good reason? Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 11:44
^ Good enough reason. Smile

I had slightly different point. I can understand when people tell Ian Gillan can't sing now high notes in "Child in Time". But Ian Anderson? He told in interviews that back then, in the end of the 60s, he started to sing only because other guys in the band sung even worse LOL. But I still read here and there that "little left from Ian's voice", "he struggles to take higher notes" etc. And what? He was never a singer like Plant-Gillan-Dio-contunue the list by yourself.

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 15:17
I saw Tull in 2007 I think and I agree about Anderson's voice. He's one of my favourite prog vocalists just because I love the colour of his voice but he really has very little of it left. Much of Thick as a Brick was destroyed by his lack of ability to sing a melody that lasts two seconds. You know how the melody in for example "and the wise men don't know how it fe-ee'ee'eels" part goes? He was just unable to do it. It was like "fee ee ee eells" and oh the struggle that went into producing every note. Yes he never sung high notes like the ones mentioned in the post above but he really has trouble hitting his high notes and holding them.

Anyway it was a great gig despite the deteriorating voice. His flute work on the other hand just seems to get better as time goes by and he's still a great show man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 17:49
^ You are right telling of his high notes. But I don't feel songs are ruined now with Ian's voice. We all know he had worse times when he sang almost like Mark Knopfler. Fortunately those times are gone.

For me Ian's stage presence, charisma, sense of humour etc are more important than some 'wrong' notes. The voice changed, but it is still Ian's voice. No one can sing his songs better.

I like all Tull periods - be it raw and wild energy of the 70s or today's wisdom and maturity. I was lucky to see Tull live 4 times last years, and if this circus will come to our town again I'll be among the first ones who runs for tickets.
 Post Reply Post Reply