FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedplaying by ear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: playing by ear
    Posted: April 20 2004 at 13:56

how many of you play an instrument, and of those how many cant read music and play by ear? reason im asking is that ive been playing guitar for over 20  years (by ear) and have recently started to learn piano/organ/synth(drool!!) thing is, whilst im making surprising progress (still amazes me to think "god im actually playing this!!) im doing it by ear. although i cant read music, istill know a fair bit about chord structure etc. is it possible to get good on the keys without being able to read music? anybody here do/done it?  just kinda thinking aloud really,

cheers

chris

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 14:57
I started to learn to read music when I was in the eighth grade but often I found myself playing by ear especially if the piece is not that tricky. I also play drums but cannot read music for drums. I think it is only to your advantage as a musician to be musically literate.
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 16:38

I at one time could and did play piano, guitar and bass before a rather nasty accident rendered my left hand rather permanently messed up.  I started taking lessons and learning the piano at the age of eight and picked up the guitar on my own before I was a teen.

I learned to read music well before my teens as my classical minded piano instructor quite insisted on it.  Rap on the knuckles with a wooden ruler and all that.

<SMILIE>

RobJ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 16:56

I've played with a few excellent keyboard players who couldn't read, though they were the exception. Keyboard is probably the best instrument to have when learning to read or study theory. Everything makes more sense thanks to the way the keys are laid out providing an excellent visual aid. This may be a good time for you to work on reading skills.

I'm primarly a bass player and can read though I don't use it for much other than method books and the odd song that's too complex to easily play by ear.

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 18:06
While it is quite possible to play many songs by ear, without learning theory (many musicians have followed this path), it should be obvious that learning musical theory increases your musical talent exponentially. If only my obstinate guitarist would learn the basics, perhaps he would be in a higher echelon of musicianship. As a drummer, it is not completely necessary for me to learn drum tab, but I take every opportunity to study the tab for many of my favourite songs, such as La Villa Strangiato, my latest conquest.
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 18:28
Huh, every time I try to play by ear my lobe gets stuck between the strings.
Hammar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 06:30

I prefer playing by ear, but I can read notes. I feel more free when a throw away the notes, but I usually look at the notes before I play. Of course, it depends on what kind of music you play. I sing in a choir as well, there I really need the notes!!

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 07:40
I only started to learn music last year at the tender age of 40 - as I took (and still take) formal lessons from day 1, I have always been taught to read music.

Once I began to learn the basics of chord structure, however, I began to be able to improvise (in a basic form) around the music & occasionally, I try to play background to basic slow blues songs on CD completely by ear - at the moment, I find I only hit the right chord/key about 50% of the time, but when it hits, it feels gooooooooood!

Edited by Jim Garten

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 07:46
WHEN I STARTED LEARNING PIANO BACK IN THE LATE 70'sS I PLAYED BY EAR AT FIRST ,THEN SOMEONE TAUGHT ME TO USE MY HANDS........MAKES SENSE RAELLY!.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 11:17

I just can't do it. I can't even tune up my guitar without an electronic tuner. RobJ stole those talents in the gene pool. It's tabs and chord books for me. I can tell if a notes is off, I have trouble with sharps and flats. My wife picks up on stuff pretty easy, though.

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 14:24

Look at eddie van halen...

music is art, remember that, and sometimes the theory comes along with the empiric knowledge; you must feel the instrument, and then get to the technical side. i suggest you to learn how to read music in order to improve your playing and get a wider world at your fingertips. If you manage both worlds, you'll even improve the understanding of music and playing, good luck.

In any case, enjoy your music and the moment you are having with it, is a worderful thing to play an instrument

peace

RobJ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 15:40
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

It's tabs and chord books for me. I can tell if a notes is off, I have trouble with sharps and flats. My wife picks up on stuff pretty easy, though.

I assume you meant that you can't hear when a note is off? If so, I find that interesting, I know you can sing in tune and that tells me you can hear accidentals just fine or your singing would be off as well. Perhaps it's a confidence thing?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 17:15

Yer probably right, as usual.

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 17:41
Originally posted by arqwave arqwave wrote:

Look at eddie van halen...

music is art, remember that, and sometimes the theory comes along with the empiric knowledge; you must feel the instrument, and then get to the technical side. i suggest you to learn how to read music in order to improve your playing and get a wider world at your fingertips. If you manage both worlds, you'll even improve the understanding of music and playing, good luck.

In any case, enjoy your music and the moment you are having with it, is a worderful thing to play an instrument

peace

I will have to disagree with you. Although Eddie, one of the greatest guitarists ever, learned to play with little in the way of formal lessons, his talent comes not simply because he 'feels the music', but instead it comes from years of practice. He also has the ability to learn; ie. Eddie can figure out a chord, derive the seventh, the major seventh, the minor, and then be able to solo from those notes. However, when he is playing, I notice most of his notes are diatonic (within the boundaries of the chord tones), and rarely forages outside his changes. If, however, he had taken formal training, he would likely be able to perform changes much more frequently. There is no question that Eddie is fast, but he simply does not have the panache of other guitarists like, say, Malmsteen. therefore my thesis is that musical theory is quite often necessary for soloing to happen.

ps. you spelled empirical wrong

Edited by Glass-Prison
 Post Reply Post Reply