Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas at Missouri State Fair (Sedalia, MO)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas at Missouri State Fair (Sedalia, MO)
    Posted: August 17 2009 at 15:20
This year marked the 35th Anniversary of Kansas and they still rock.  They played an hour and a half set on the main stage at the Missouri State Fair.  With the exception of the close ground seats, the show was free.  I've never seen them before so this was a special treat to have a chance to view Rock and Roll Legends perform especially legends as musically gifted as these five guys.  I had grown up hearing their three most well known tunes; Point of No Return, Dust In the Wind and Carry on My Wayword Son.  Of course they played these songs, finishing with Wayward Son as part of the encore.  The croud came alive when Dust in the wind was played and others like Song for America.  After all these years the band Rocked and the vocals were stong and powerful.  I was in awe just seeing their command of their instruments as they played lengthy instrumental sections.

The one drawback was that some of the crowd was only there because of it being free so the crowd was not as energized as it should be and the sound system was overpoweringly loud.  But overall it was an awsome show and something I'm really glad I was able to see.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 15:25
Where are you from? We have several St. Louis folks on the forum.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
benjajl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 15:36
Warrensburg Missouri, off of 50 Hwy, 20 minuts west of Sedalia (if you weren't sure where it was)
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 19:55
The more I read about KANSAS gigs, the more anxious I get for seeing them live in Lima on Sep 19th.

Thank you for the review.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 19:57
At first I thought this was about college football LOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 20:44

Yes the football guys from Kansas state absolutely pummeled the patrons at the Missouri State Fair...

OK, I admit I really don't care about sports.  So my lingo is probably terribly off.

Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

The more I read about KANSAS gigs, the more anxious I get for seeing them live in Lima on Sep 19th.           Thank you for the review.
Live music-wise, my first encounter with Kansas, and forgive me if I bore anyone who has read about it in a posting or a review of mine, I'll try to put a fresh spin on things.

Was at a show back in '78.  They filled a college colosseum with paying, mostly, customers.  The repertoire was dominated by progressive music.  Pass forward to the Midtown Music Festival in 2000.  No more Kerry, though they did play most of their '70's stuff focusing on the radio hits.  Those of course went over best with the crowd.  All the while a band on a stage way too close, The Cult, pretty much drowned them out.

I hope you guys who are excited about attending (waaay down South) get rewarded with a great performance.  I'd expect it to be attended by more fans of the proggier stuff and the sets to be as such, but who knows?  Even though I haven't seen them live in nine years I'm pretty sure Kansas ain't quite the ensemble that it once was.  Not to try and spoil anything.

Have a great time! Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 17 2009 at 20:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 06:01
Originally posted by benjajl benjajl wrote:

Warrensburg Missouri, off of 50 Hwy, 20 minuts west of Sedalia (if you weren't sure where it was)

Get out of here!!! I went to college there (back when it was CMSU). Are you a student down there?

I'm up in Kansas City. I haven't been back to the Burg in about 6 years. Need to get back there again.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 06:03
I really wished I had made the effort to get down the the state fair to see Kansas (and I'm still kicking myself for not going to the Topeka show with the full orchestra). They play around Kansas City a lot, so I'm going to make it a point to see them next time.

Thanks for the review.

E
benjajl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 07:30
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Get out of here!!! I went to college there (back when it was CMSU). Are you a student down there?

I'm up in Kansas City. I haven't been back to the Burg in about 6 years. Need to get back there again.

E

Nope, I'm just a local.  Well actually I moved there about 9 years ago because that is where my wife is from.
benjajl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 07:35
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yes the football guys from Kansas state absolutely pummeled the patrons at the Missouri State Fair...

OK, I admit I really don't care about sports.  So my lingo is probably terribly off.

The more I read about KANSAS gigs, the more anxious I get for seeing them live in Lima on Sep 19th.           Thank you for the review.
Live music-wise, my first encounter with Kansas, and forgive me if I bore anyone who has read about it in a posting or a review of mine, I'll try to put a fresh spin on things.

Was at a show back in '78.  They filled a college colosseum with paying, mostly, customers.  The repertoire was dominated by progressive music.  Pass forward to the Midtown Music Festival in 2000.  No more Kerry, though they did play most of their '70's stuff focusing on the radio hits.  Those of course went over best with the crowd.  All the while a band on a stage way too close, The Cult, pretty much drowned them out.

I hope you guys who are excited about attending (waaay down South) get rewarded with a great performance.  I'd expect it to be attended by more fans of the proggier stuff and the sets to be as such, but who knows?  Even though I haven't seen them live in nine years I'm pretty sure Kansas ain't quite the ensemble that it once was.  Not to try and spoil anything.

I don't know if they were the ensamble they used to be (this was my first time seeing them live) but they still sounded great.  They played, like I said, their radio favorits but they also played what I thought were some great prog tunes that really rocked.  They stayed away from the ballads with the exception of Dust in the Wind and played the more energetic pieces.  Since I've never seen them before I have no point of reference but I thought there energy on stage was pretty good for their age.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 08:27

E

Nope, I'm just a local.  Well actually I moved there about 9 years ago because that is where my wife is from.

I can't imagine how much it's changed. We use to go back every year for the homecoming football games. I think the last time I was there was in 2002 or 2003.

Actually saw some good concerts there. Freshman year I saw Bruce Hornsby & The Range (awesome show), and Living Colour and Candlebox my senior year. Also saw Clint Black, but only because we had nothing better to do and tickets were cheap for students. Also saw Howie Mandel and he was friggin' hilarious.

Any good CD shops down there? I could make a day trip down there if it were worth my while.

E
benjajl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 12:09

E

I can't imagine how much it's changed. We use to go back every year for the homecoming football games. I think the last time I was there was in 2002 or 2003.

Actually saw some good concerts there. Freshman year I saw Bruce Hornsby & The Range (awesome show), and Living Colour and Candlebox my senior year. Also saw Clint Black, but only because we had nothing better to do and tickets were cheap for students. Also saw Howie Mandel and he was friggin' hilarious.

Any good CD shops down there? I could make a day trip down there if it were worth my while.

E

Hastings, thats it.  I wouldn't say that its worth the trip.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I hope you guys who are excited about attending (way down South) get rewarded with a great performance.  I'd expect it to be attended by more fans of the proggier stuff and the sets to be as such, but who knows?  Even though I haven't seen them live in nine years I'm pretty sure Kansas ain't quite the ensemble that it once was.  Not to try and spoil anything.

This current version are miles ahead of that 2000 version.  Just saying.

I saw them play last August in a great PAC here in So Cal and it was without a doubt the best Kansas show I had seen since the 78 show on The POKR/TFTS tour. Ragsdale is the man and adds so much to the overall sound.  With Billy Greer singsing the highs and Walsh no longer sounding like gargling glass and staying within his range the band is as good as ever. I do miss that element that Kerry added with the two keyboards and two guitars. 

Edited by Garion81 - August 19 2009 at 15:28

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply