FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDave Kerman joins Aranis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Kerman joins Aranis
    Posted: December 05 2009 at 13:05
Dave Kerman (drummer for 5UU's, Present, Ahvak, Thinking Plague) will join the Belgian chamber music group Aranis in 2010, playing on their forthcoming fourth album and touring with them in Europe.

http://www.generalrubric.com/dkerman/main.html

http://www.aranis.be/eng/group/index.html

The first performance of this line-up will be in De Singel (Antewerpen) the 27th of March 2010.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 17:29
Me likey.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 17:36
Wow!
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:50
But their lack of drums was what made them so good. :(
if you own a sodastream i hate you
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:58
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

But their lack of drums was what made them so good. :(

I won't say much as "good" than "unique" or "original".
But I remember, when talking to bassist Joris after the show at Le Triton this last summer, that he said he enjoyed bands like Univers Zero.
Does that mean that Aranis is planning to evolve to a "chamber rock" direction à la UZ / Présent? We'll see.
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 11:06
^ I hope Big smile
I do like Aranis, but imagine how good the results could be if they start making a more Camber Rock kind of music... Wow!
Anyway, that's good news.
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 18:26
I would say good, because they were forced to express rhythm in a different way because they coudn't just have somebody bang on a drum, and that made them better. We don't really need more bands that sound like Univers Zero. I'll still give it a chance, and I'm not saying they have to make Aranis I and II again, but a drummer was the last direction I wanted them to evolve into, even though I like Ahvak.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 11:36
On the other hand, there aren't so MANY bands which sound like Univers Zero! Big smile
Usually, we have to complain about Dream Theater clones, Magma obsessive disciples or wannabe Pink Floyd.
I would not be upset to hear Aranis use some drums: after all, we have three (3!) records drumless!
Dave Kerman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 12:45
Well, just a little aside: I think the first concert with the new Aranis line-up went exceedingly well.  For those who doubt drums might be worthwhile - please understand that Joris is ALWAYS trying something new, and that the understanding is that I am a guest musician for the current programme, which just happens to incorporate drums.

They confessed to me that they had auditioned several "drummers" who showed up not having memorized the music, and just started bashing away. Not to blow my own horn too much, but I took the job responsibly, and worked for many weeks to both memorize Joris' complex percussive rhythms, and to extrapolate upon them (with his blessings) when I felt it necessary. To boot, I play with Aranis using chopsticks instead of drumsticks, and by all accounts the drums were not overbearing in the live setting.

So, we'll see how this goes. I too must confess that I would feel terrible to "spoil" such a unique approach. But this program is, as I said before, just the current phase of Aranis, and the next one will probably be very different again.

On a personal note, I will say that I have never before worked with such a marvelous group of young people. Besides being utter virtuosos on their respective instruments, and absolutely committed, they are the kindest, warmest, most generous, and classiest group of musicians I've ever worked with. Please listen to the album with an open mind when it's released in October, as they deserve the benefit of the doubt, to be sure.

Bests,

Dave K
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 15:07
This will be interesting...gotta love a band that changes things up from time to time at least. 
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 17:33
I haven't heard any Aranis yet, but I certainly will soon. Great to hear Mr. Kerman's input on the collaboration, though!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 18:29
Originally posted by Dave Kerman Dave Kerman wrote:

Well, just a little aside: I think the first concert with the new Aranis line-up went exceedingly well.  For those who doubt drums might be worthwhile - please understand that Joris is ALWAYS trying something new, and that the understanding is that I am a guest musician for the current programme, which just happens to incorporate drums.

They confessed to me that they had auditioned several "drummers" who showed up not having memorized the music, and just started bashing away. Not to blow my own horn too much, but I took the job responsibly, and worked for many weeks to both memorize Joris' complex percussive rhythms, and to extrapolate upon them (with his blessings) when I felt it necessary. To boot, I play with Aranis using chopsticks instead of drumsticks, and by all accounts the drums were not overbearing in the live setting.

So, we'll see how this goes. I too must confess that I would feel terrible to "spoil" such a unique approach. But this program is, as I said before, just the current phase of Aranis, and the next one will probably be very different again.

On a personal note, I will say that I have never before worked with such a marvelous group of young people. Besides being utter virtuosos on their respective instruments, and absolutely committed, they are the kindest, warmest, most generous, and classiest group of musicians I've ever worked with. Please listen to the album with an open mind when it's released in October, as they deserve the benefit of the doubt, to be sure.

Bests,

Dave K

Hi Dave,

Great to hear it, can't wait to get my hands on this new album when it's out.

By the way, did you get Joris into some Gaza... ? 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2010 at 20:49
Originally posted by Dave Kerman Dave Kerman wrote:

Bests,

Dave K

Sounds excellent! Love the chopstick idea. I hope they release a live cd from this tour.

I'll definitely be picking up a copy of the new album in October. Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 03:21
Ready for the next album. But I wonder if they will try to tour in France, at least in Paris?
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 12:21
And in Canada (Québec, in fact).
European bands never tour around here...
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
 Post Reply Post Reply