FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind - Dec 2009 UK tour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind - Dec 2009 UK tour
    Posted: December 18 2009 at 12:30
A recurring observation about Hawkwind audiences these days is how static they are. I’ve noticed it, too. Standing with my hands in my pockets amidst a bunch of other statues can feel like I’m waiting for a bus. And, in a way, I suppose I am.

Just to put this review in context, I’ve seen 36 shows in 33 years and I’m definitely one of the “good old days” bunch. So my motives and feelings in attending a show are mixed and a bit complex.

There’s always the hope that DB is going to start grinding away on rhythm guitar and start driving heads up and down in a big swathe across the audience. Then, there’s the tradition angle... I go to Hawkwind now because I always have done. Despite comments from some about them being a parody of their old selves, enough of the old vibe still remains to give minutes of pleasure here or some seconds there. Nostalga. A memory of an old show gets awakened by something and I get a nice tingle. Echoes of yesteryear pop up, especially during that rare moment of a well-defined intro.

This year, Hawkwind thankfully have abandoned the segue and fizzle-out.  Kicking off with Lighthouse (the Tim Blake track) is a low-key way of getting going but Jon Sevink, fiddler with The Levellers, as guest after about 10 minutes added a nice extra dimension to the soundscape.

I’ve uploaded a clip to youtube: it's part of Angels of Death and it gives an idea of the flavour of things at the Princess Pavilion, Falmouth... if you can stomach the lousy camerawork. Apologies for that; I’d consumed rather a lot of lager that night (16th Dec). I thought the band sounded OK, really.

The setlist across the UK tour so far has been:

Lighthouse; Fahrenheit 451; Sentinel; Space is Deep; Angels of Death; Silver Machine; Green Machine; Wraith; Prometheus; Warriors; Magnu; Tide of the Century; You'd Better Believe It; Levitation; Right to Decide; Spirit of the Age; Hassan-i-Sahba – although some variations in encore choice have emerged.

The tour’s not over yet; they play Glasgow tonight and Newcastle tomorrow.

---------

Previous music reviews by me are:

Hawkwind 2006 – Exeter
Hawkwind 2007 – Exeter
Hawkwind 2007 – London Astoria
Hawkwind 2008 – Exeter
Hawkwind 2009 – London Porchester Hall

Um. Notice a pattern?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 13:58
I saw them in Bristol on this tour and I said exactly the same thing about statuesque fans at the gig - it takes a lot to get them moving me thinks! LOL

However, I did enjoy the gig - I enjoyed Lighthouse a lot and actually I think it made a good start.  I don't know why they bother with Silver Machine though it was purely perfunctory we would be happy with any track from the 'Space Ritual period rather than that.   This was however, provided by an absolutely mindblowing version of 'You'd Better Believe It' which was classic HW. 

Much of the rest was good stuff.  But,  not anything special for an advertised 40th aniversary tour.  (The girls were good).  I would still go again shame DB fell out with NiK Turner though! 

Help me I'm falling!
sorcerer kermes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 14:57
hope i could attend Unhappy
miammoo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 05:08
Saw the gig in Newcastle (my first HW since 1984 as I left to live in Australia) and even thought the crowd were not bouncing they were reasonably animated and it got better as the night progressed. I have to say they were much better than when I saw them in the 80's, much tighter and they put on a great show. I did think they maybe could have got Arthur on for a couple of songs seeing as it was the last gig of the tour. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 19:22
Hi,

You lucky b*****ds ... we don't stand a chance here in the west coast!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply