Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 798081
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

love that.. Germany Poland Ukraine..  random draw? My ass LOL 

Yeah! LOL A very "neighbourly" group to be sure!

Family immigrated here to the states from the Ukraine, of Polish Ancestry, yet with a German surname. So who to root for...not the Germans.. not the Ukrainians..  so it is the Poles! 

Poles from Ukraine with German surname? Wacko Yeah, we were all mixed-up here. Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 09:50
funny... one of my coworkers is of pure German stock... blond hair blue eyed.. he was a Christian from Syria that got the hell out of that place with his wife and kids and came here... and spoke English with an arabic accent.  Messed up sh*t man. He is a trip...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 10:07
According to the FIFA Rankings (for whatever that's worth) it's group D (Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia) closely followed by E (Belgium, Italy, Republic of Ireland, Sweden) and F (Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary). There is only 2.5% between the combined ranking points so it's essentially a crapshoot. As usual I think France's ranking is a bit false as they didn't have to play qualifying so didn't get that points benefit. Group A is more comparable to B & C. 

Combined FIFA Ranking Points - D - 4121, E - 4066, F - 4016, B - 3835, C - 3790, A - 3644

I'm reasonably happy with England's draw, it was inevitable we'd get one of the Home Nations and the one we wanted to avoid is clearly Wales, I'm just glad we missed Italy who were clearly the strongest team in pot 2. Sweden with Zlatan are also extremely dangerous. 

The beauty this tournament is there are no bad teams, the lowest ranked is 38th in a tournament with 24 teams in it & 12 of the top 20 teams in the world are here. Biggest shock is still that Netherlands are there.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 13 2015 at 10:12
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 10:18
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

love that.. Germany Poland Ukraine..  random draw? My ass LOL 

Yeah! LOL A very "neighbourly" group to be sure!

LOLClap

Family immigrated here to the states from the Ukraine, of Polish Ancestry, yet with a German surname. So who to root for...not the Germans.. not the Ukrainians..  so it is the Poles! 

Poles from Ukraine with German surname? Wacko Yeah, we were all mixed-up here. Smile

I think I had told you years ago when we first met here. My grandfather immigrated here (via South America) from a village in 1912 that was (with the partitions of Poland in the late 18th century) within the Russian border. The village he came from is lost to time I suppose.  My grandfather passed away in the late 70's and all I remember him telling me as it no longer existed, it was wiped off the map by the events of the next few years. Be it WW1 or the revolution. He (we) still had family there. God knows what happened to that branch of the family. Ignorance is bliss there my friend.

As far as the German surname.. yeah.. I suppose we did get a german in the family woodshed at some point LOL Of course my mother married an Irishman so I got a completely bland and flavorless last name.. and one I completely enjoyed as a kid as it naturally fit the punchline of all the jokes the kids threw at me.  Then again.. I grew to enjoy Scary Berry.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 10:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

According to the FIFA Rankings (for whatever that's worth) it's group D (Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia) closely followed by E (Belgium, Italy, Republic of Ireland, Sweden) and F (Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary). There is only 2.5% between the combined ranking points so it's essentially a crapshoot. As usual I think France's ranking is a bit false as they didn't have to play qualifying so didn't get that points benefit. Group A is more comparable to B & C. 

Combined FIFA Ranking Points - D - 4121, E - 4066, F - 4016, B - 3835, C - 3790, A - 3644

I'm reasonably happy with England's draw, it was inevitable we'd get one of the Home Nations and the one we wanted to avoid is clearly Wales, I'm just glad we missed Italy who were clearly the strongest team in pot 2. Sweden with Zlatan are also extremely dangerous. 

The beauty this tournament is there are no bad teams, the lowest ranked is 38th in a tournament with 24 teams in it & 12 of the top 20 teams in the world are here. Biggest shock is still that Netherlands are there.

Clap  should be a lot of fun. All of the teams, the 'blue bloods' seem to have flaws or major red flags (like Spain), I sure don't see a clear favorite.  Pretty much wide open to any number of teams winning it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 798081