Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the best Soccer (footbal) league
    Posted: April 19 2010 at 14:22
pick youre favourite
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 14:32
Though I really enjoy watching matches from all the leagues you listed...my favorite without a doubt has to be the Premier League, because they play really fast and with an exquisite technique, also,because a match between "mediocre" teams that are low in the table is almost always a good match, so it is rare to feel bored while watching any Premier League match.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 14:42
Totally agree with memo here... Premier league is entertaining to say the least. Some people prefer the spanish league, but the players are too pretenders. The premier is less about crazy moves and "taste" but a lot more of practical football, there's no pretenders, no wasting time, not fooling around to cheat just effective football...

Manchester United rules..:!!! Rawks

Edited by jampa17 - April 19 2010 at 14:42
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 14:55
Despite the fact there won't be an English team in the Champions League final, I've got to go with The Premiership. Good luck to Liverpool in the Europa league semi!

Can someone please bin the Scottish Premier League Dead 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:14
I don't know what bin means Confused please elaborate Big smile
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:30
The standard of football in Scotland is not of the highest level. As there are only 12 teams in the Scotttish Premier League teams play each other 4 times per season... boring! There is a system where the top 6 teams ''split'' from the bottom 6 toward the end of the season, so that a suitable number of games get played. However this often results in the team in 7th position having more league points than the team in 6th! It's a crazy system. The Scottish League is in dire need of a major shake-up. The current system should be confined to the rubbish heap i.e. ''binned''. Hope that clears things up Smile  
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:39
It's been a long time since I could say "X is the best league".

I grew up in the mid-90s with the Italian league and it was the best at it time; their reigning team, Juventus, played three Champions League finals in a row! There was also the superb (but not so efficient) Milan of George Weah, Baggio, Boban, Desailly. Also, Inter was great when Ronaldo joined the team, and so were Lazio when Eriksson started coaching them and Roma when Capello started coaching there. I also liked other teams like Parma (remember Asprilla, Gianfranco Zola, Enrico Chiesa and Hernan Crespo?), Bologna, Atalanta (the club where Inzaghi emerged as a great promise), Udinese or Vicenza.

The next "best" league" was the Spanish one, in the late 90s and the early 00s. Great times! Of course we had the amazing Real Madrid and Barcelona, but Valencia (who played two consecutie Champions League finals) and Deportivo La Coruna were also amazing. Atletico Madrid was also a top team then, I also liked Celta Vigo a lot and Athletic Bilbao.

Since the mid 00s the best games always come from Premier League, but only if both teams are from the big four, let's say five. When the bigger clubs play against the small ones the games are boring because they're very predictable, and if smaller clubs play against each other then it's usually awful, the football played being quite rudimentary. Primera Division is still much more enjoyable to watch (though any match of Barca except for one or two in the whole season is predictable, from different reasons obviously LOL).

So if it's to vote for anything I've ever seen it would probably be Serie A based on what happened there in the 90s, if it's down to voting on what's going on now, then no vote from me.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 16:11
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It's been a long time since I could say "X is the best league".

I grew up in the mid-90s with the Italian league and it was the best at it time; their reigning team, Juventus, played three Champions League finals in a row! There was also the superb (but not so efficient) Milan of George Weah, Baggio, Boban, Desailly. Also, Inter was great when Ronaldo joined the team, and so were Lazio when Eriksson started coaching them and Roma when Capello started coaching there. I also liked other teams like Parma (remember Asprilla, Gianfranco Zola, Enrico Chiesa and Hernan Crespo?), Bologna, Atalanta (the club where Inzaghi emerged as a great promise), Udinese or Vicenza.

The next "best" league" was the Spanish one, in the late 90s and the early 00s. Great times! Of course we had the amazing Real Madrid and Barcelona, but Valencia (who played two consecutie Champions League finals) and Deportivo La Coruna were also amazing. Atletico Madrid was also a top team then, I also liked Celta Vigo a lot and Athletic Bilbao.

Since the mid 00s the best games always come from Premier League, but only if both teams are from the big four, let's say five. When the bigger clubs play against the small ones the games are boring because they're very predictable, and if smaller clubs play against each other then it's usually awful, the football played being quite rudimentary. Primera Division is still much more enjoyable to watch (though any match of Barca except for one or two in the whole season is predictable, from different reasons obviously LOL).

So if it's to vote for anything I've ever seen it would probably be Serie A based on what happened there in the 90s, if it's down to voting on what's going on now, then no vote from me.

This season the top two Chelsea lost 6 MU Lost 7 games each.  In La Liga Barc lost 1 Madrid Lost 4.  So which is boring and predictable?  Barca 84 points Madrid 83 then the third club Valencia only 59 points This is predictable ?

I think the Premiership is probably a better league in terms of competition but La Liga has technically better teams but not many of them! 
Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 17:01
^ That wasn't my point. I wasn't thinking about the results, but about the way games develop. Either the big club defeats the small club (the most usual scenario) or the small club fights bravely and resists or even win (yes this does happen), the games always look the same... Once you've seen one match from each scenario, you've seen them all. Also, take notice that I didn't say Primera Division is "better" than Premier League in any aspect, just that their games are more enjoyable for me to watch because they have more variety. The only really good thing I've said about one of the discussed league is that the best games come from Premier League.

Edited by harmonium.ro - April 19 2010 at 17:28
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 17:02
My favorite league is the Spanish one, if only because my favorite European team is there (FC Barcelona). 

I don't think, though, that it is the BEST league. There's little competition for Barcelona and Real Madrid there. The German league is much more competitive, so is the French one, so is the English one. The Italian league lately has been a one-team show (Inter) but usually it has at least 2 more eternal candidates (Juventus and Milan). 

Anyway, I'll vote for the worst league (as far as competition goes) but where you can see the best football played: the Spanish League
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 17:04
^ I think the Germans lost it quite some time ago... Let's see if what Bayern did this season brings a revival or not.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 17:24
the pace of the Premier League can not be beaten, even if I enjoy the technical football of Primera Division
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 19:22
I think Bundesliga peaked in the late 90s and continued to be very important in the early 90s. The Germans won in 1997 both the Champions League with Borussia Dortmund and the UEFA Cup with Schalke 04, maybe their best moment, then they had Stuttgart in the Cup Winners Cup final, then Bayern grew strong and played two Champions League finals in 1999 and 2002. This era ended with the excellent Bayer Leverkusen team who also played a CL final in 2004. Their league was for the first time in a while really interesting last year with Hoffenheim coming out of nowhere to terrorize the usual suspects, and with a very dramatic ending.

The French League was never too good, but I always liked the football played, technical and athletic at the same time, usually very spectacular. A lot of excellent African or African French players giving their best to become rich and famous like all the other who did it before, but after they got transferred in other leagues LOL The first Champions League match I've ever watched was Juventus-Nantes in the CL semi-finals from 1996, and thinking of that made me realize that no French team has ever reached that stage ever since, until this week! Not only that there's Lyon playing a semi final with Bayern on Thursday but there was also a second French team in the CL quarter finals. Does this mean anything? Can't tell. [Wait, there was also AS Monaco who played the CL final in 2003, sorry for missing that].
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 02:19
I totaly forgott the portogese and turkish league since they are also big leagues with great teams, MAD supporters, Turkish football is a special case 90% of th teams ends with Spor, personly I have some feelings for Turkish football, Portogese not that much maybe becuse their player falls for nothing if Porto or Benfica scores before another team in Champions league they will be awarded with alot of Oscar statuets for best filming, and have so much pain that you might think they have broken a bone or somthing when its only a litle scratsh
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 02:23
The title of best league goes back and forth between England, Italy and Spain. At the moment maybe Spain is top - they certainly have Barcelona, the best team. France and Germany are both pretty strong and the German grounds seem very full!

England is my favourite for entertainment though, if not always overall quality, so i vote for that.

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 05:27
Italy.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 12:10
England. Always was, always will be.
Bigger on the inside.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 12:17

I think the whole English league setup from Premier League down to Conference League is head and shoulder above the rest of the leagues. I just think the other leagues is just copies of the real thing and that's it. 

I am a Nottingham Forest fan, btw and I have been that for over 30 years. I have never been to Nottingham, though. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - May 09 2010 at 12:18
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:25
Paganini was Italy's most virtuosic soccer playerTongue
 Post Reply Post Reply