Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High-End Audio-A Calling For Porcupine Tree Leader
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh-End Audio-A Calling For Porcupine Tree Leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 10:42
Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

I can give Wilson some credit for the remaster of "In the Court of the Crimson King". It sounds stunning indeed, compared to the EG records CD release I had from the olden days.

I would also be interested in reading this....... from the comments though, I would second that the MP3 quality is secondary to peoples choices of headphones and speakers...... I mean what's the point of a high quality rip if you're going to listen to it on those atrocious ipod earbuds? Personally I don't have as much time to listen to music on my nice home stereo as I'd want to, so I'm reliant on 320kb rips, my ipod and a subway train...... with nice headphones and a good rip I feel that's pretty similar......
jch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 04:31

It makes me really happy to listen PT albums and it would make me even happier if other bands (I like) would take the same or similar approach of recording.

sturoc1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 19:19
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/article/124918-high-end-audio-a-calling-for-porcupine-trees-steven-wilson

There's the link that works for this article found it in about 2 min of searching google.
Westsiyeed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 21:56
I agree with SW to some degree, but for some people the convenience of MP3 files and a portable music player is greater than the extra sound quality you get from a CD/DVDA on the home stereo.

Having a young family and a wife who doesn't appreciate the harder side of music Cry, I'm limited to how much time I can blast the stereo, but the MP3 player gets a good workout in transit to work (and yes, good earphones are needed).

That said, amongst other DVDA releases I own all PT's, and (when I get the chance) I enjoy nothing better than sitting in the middle of the living room and playing FOABP or similar in 5.1 sound. Many Gen Y's might not know what that sounds like, and they are really missing out.

Edited by Westsiyeed - September 14 2010 at 21:58
sturoc1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 22:33
I use mp3s when in transit /plane/ car/ camping /hiking where I cannot have a hi quality system available. But I use Headphones exclusively for listening during those times.
Strange sometimes ,not often though, listening to certain mp3 trks I hear instrument phrasing that I haven't heard  on a .wav file. Possibly due to the "throwing out' of certain freqs.
That said I use mp3s only as a temp tool for listening in non critcal environs.
Most of my mp3 files are generated from wav files originally, which are archived.
Lps, cassettes from the 70s 80s all in wav format on the pc drives.
In Studio or Home it is the .wav file all the way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12