Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metamorfosis (Spain 1982)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metamorfosis (Spain 1982)
    Posted: July 04 2010 at 13:01
Hi, I would like to suggest the inclusion of Metamorfosis, a spanish band from Tarragona who released a single album in 1982 called "Papallones i Elefants" (Butterflies and Elephants) and disbanded afterwards.
I consider it one of those obscure little gems of prog, all the 5 tracks can be heard on YouTube (the longest 2 are split in 2 clips), uploaded by a user called folker2006.

Their music was right in the middle between symphonic prog and jazz-rock/fusion and in fact they could be tagged as any of both, although in my opinion the symphonic parts justify more their classification as symphonic. It's not that they combine together symphonic and jazz-rock elements, but rather they have sections or even full tracks belonging to one or the other genre.

The 5 tracks in their album are:
1. Papallones i Elefants (11:08):  first 5 min symphonic and the following 6 min jazz-rock
2. Un joc als cinc anys (6:23):  jazz
3. Pel a pel per al proxim dia (9:22):  jazz
4. Morir per viure (13:26):  symphonic
5. El reflex del teu mirrall (13:12):  symphonic / fusion

The last 2 tracks are the best in my opinion.
TX 

Edited by Gerinski - July 06 2010 at 23:58
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 13:36
Thanks Gerard, can you also post a link to the YouTube videos? Thanks. I'll check them. Thumbs Up
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 15:50
Sure, here they are !

Papallones i Elefants (Butterflies and Elephants)

El reflex del teu mirall (1/2)  (The reflection of your mirror)

El reflex del teu mirall (2/2)

Morir per viure (1/2)   (To die to live)

Morir per viure (2/2)

And the 2 more jazzy ones:

Un joc als cinc anys   (A game at the age of five)

Pel a pel per al nou dia   (Step by step into the new day)

I hope you enjoy them Smile

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 07:46
Some more info which may be helpful:

1. the album is apparently still available, for example in the catalog of the swedish Record Heaven

2. If somebody who knows spanish looks at the title and song names he/she will probably think: "is this spanish? I don't understand one word of it !"
Well the reason is that the language is catalan, not spanish. The band were from the region of Tarragona where catalan is the original language (and co-official together with spanish).

3. By the info I could collect about the band, a short bio would be something like this:

In 1979 these 5 musicians from Tarragona and Reus in the spanish region of Catalunya joined to form a band which they initially called "Companyia Oliva Negra" and later on renamed as Metamorfosis.
The brain of the band was keyboardist Jaume Montcusi, who wrote most of the material for their only record "Papallones i Elefants" released in 1982. He was joined by Luis Garcia (guitars), Joan Ramos (guitars and percussion), Jordi Papaseit (bass) and Joan M. Grimau (drums and percussion).

The music is a hybrid between jazz-rock / fusion and symphonic prog, completely instrumental, with long jazzy solos and intrincate rythmic patterns.

Metamorfosis disbanded around 1985. Their rehearsal place was converted into "Metamorfosis recording studios" of which Montcusi became sound engineer, helping regional bands release their music in the 80's and 90's (he also played as keyboardist in some cases such as in the record "El bufo de la cort" by the local Neo-Prog band Dr. No).
By the late 2000's he was still in the business, the studio now being his own and renamed as "Entrepins".

As a curious footnote, the album was originally released in Spain by a small religious label called AVE (Audio Visuales Evangelicos) although I have no idea if the band really had any christian inclinations or it was simply a matter of economical necessity.

Edited by Gerinski - July 07 2010 at 16:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 12:50
Superb Fusion album, with Symphonic Prog moments. Great find! Now that's what I call a lost gem... I'm notifying the Fusion team. Thanks for making us aware of this great music. Thumbs Up
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 11:06
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Now that's what I call a lost gem... 
Glad you agree with me Tongue
A friend of mine got this LP when it was released, I loved it immediately and I recorded it on cassette. With the coming of CDs all my cassette tapes ended in a box in the attic and forgot about it for a long time.
Some time ago I remembered about it. I'm not proud of what comes next but the truth is that searching the net I found it as a torrent so I downloaded it and burnt it into CD so it's again into my working discography Wink
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 16:59
I'm leaving on holiday for 20 days and probably will not have internet, so if anybody posts something here do not find it strange that I do not reply.
TX & cheers
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 04:37
Have fun! Smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 08:01
Hi fusion team, any news on this one?
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 08:06
They are cleared for addition. If you want to prepare bio for their addition, please do it and send it to me by PM
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 01:54
Metamorfosis added with help of Gerinski - thanks!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 04:46
Great! Clap
mickiwicky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickiwicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 03:57
I am a friend of Jaume Montcusi, main pillar of the 1982 Tarragona band 'Metamorfosis' (the classic 'Papillons y Elefants', 1982). for more contact and bio details, and some answers to your questions on the band in the reviews, you can contact me.

Post Reply Post Reply