Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Pentangle: Introduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pentangle: Introduction
    Posted: July 04 2010 at 13:54
QuestionWhat album would you recommend that I start off to introduce me to the band. Would it be Basket of Light?
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 14:06
^I guess so, but my favorite album and song is Cruel Sister.

(the full album is there in six parts)
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 14:06
As far as I'm concerned, Basket of Light is definitely the album that would make the most pleasant introduction to the band. Thumbs Up 
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 14:59
I would go with Sweet Child. There's blues, jazz, folk, classical music...
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 15:03
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I would go with Sweet Child. There's blues, jazz, folk, classical music...

Clap Great album that one! I'd put it second on the list after BoL.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 15:13
You could do worse than start with Basket of Light (read my review of it if you likeWink), which is a real masterpiece. However, all the albums up to Solomon's Seal are worth getting. In my humble opinion, Pentangle are way better than either Steeleye Span or Fairport Convention (though I like both these bands quite a bit), and, if the rumours about their getting back together are true, I can't wait to see them live.
Drifter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 12:22
Basket Of Light is the best of the individual albums (it's close though!) but if you're willing to go the compilation route, Light Flight is an excellent two-disc set. I believe it's OOP but it shouldn't be too hard to find at the usual outlets that sell used CD's.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 20:21
Just finished listening to the Basket of Light. Hauntingly beautiful. Just about brought tears to my eyes. I've been listening to too much neo-prog and prog/metal lately. Sure nice to hear some acoustic textures. There is such a thing as serenity. Thanx for the recommendations.
Drifter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 20:34
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Just finished listening to the Basket of Light. Hauntingly beautiful. Just about brought tears to my eyes. I've been listening to too much neo-prog and prog/metal lately. Sure nice to hear some acoustic textures. There is such a thing as serenity. Thanx for the recommendations.

Well done. Pentangle can be very addicting but it's a good kind of addiction. I'm sure you'll check out their other stuff too now that you've familiarized yourself with Basket of Light.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 01:14
Basket of Light...definitely. I like Reflections though. Especially the song Reflections. Don't forget to bend an ear to Reflections. It contains the same diversity as Cruel Sister and Soloman's Seal but maybe darker for some reason. I don't know....there is something different about the effort. I've always enjoyed it.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 13:01
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Awwww! ^__^ Welcome to the beautiful mystical dreamy haunting spectacular stress relieving and sometimes pagan world of progessive folk. Enjoy the journey! Wink Guess you might want to try out some more of it. (Pentangle and Folk)
FrumpyFan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 02:34
All the early Pentangle albums are magnificent. I have UK Transatlantic vinyl pressings of the debut and Basket of Light that sound exceptional. A somewhat new discovery for me and currently one of my favorite bands hence the avatar! 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 16:15
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Basket of Light...definitely. I like Reflections though. Especially the song Reflections. Don't forget to bend an ear to Reflections. It contains the same diversity as Cruel Sister and Soloman's Seal but maybe darker for some reason. I don't know....there is something different about the effort. I've always enjoyed it.
^this

BOL is really nice but I have always liked the Cruel Sister and Reflection lp's for their diversity.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:00
One can't go wrong with either Basket of Light or Cruel Sister. I would suggest buying both and foregoing any further debate.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You could do worse than start with Basket of Light (read my review of it if you likeWink), which is a real masterpiece. However, all the albums up to Solomon's Seal are worth getting. In my humble opinion, Pentangle are way better than either Steeleye Span or Fairport Convention (though I like both these bands quite a bit), and, if the rumours about their getting back together are true, I can't wait to see them live.

Considering Bert Jansch died in 2011, a Pentangle reunion would be akin to the Beatles getting back together without John Lennon. In essence, Bert was the soul of Pentangle. So a reunion of the other members would not be Pentangle.

As for which album to get.....I never quite get this question for any artist. Why not JUST BUY THEIR FIRST ALBUM and go chronologically? That's what I did with Pentangle and this gives you a much better appreciation of their development.

Some of their stuff can be almost AOF (Adult Orientated Folk) but there are also some ground breaking acoustic jazz/folk which everyone needs to listen to and appreciate.

Start from the beginning and work your way through. Even the reincarnation; Jacqui McShee's Pentangle of the 90s and 2000's has some really interesting stuff as well.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 09:07
To not go in chronological order would be doing yourself a disservice as the groups 1968 self titled debut album 'The Pentangle' showcased and introduced their unique folk/jazz/blues fusion sound. It also introduced the great stereophonic  acoustic guitar interplay between Bert Jansch and John Renbourn. (A hint: The circular ryhthms and percussive string pulls are from Jansch, the blusesy slide like playing is from Renbourn but both could imitate each others style at will.)  All of the albums are good from the 'The Pentangle' up through "Cruel Sister' given the context of the times and the strange dynamics that existed within the band. Basket Of Light is probably their most accessible album but is not usually the first one I want to listen to.

Edited by SteveG - July 16 2014 at 10:41
 Post Reply Post Reply