0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zhang Yimou
    Posted: August 11 2010 at 14:27
Zhang Ymou's early films really entranced me, been a fan since about '91 when I saw Red Sorghum on TV (the ones with Gong Li -- particularly Red Sorghum, Ju Dou, Raise the Red Lantern, and The Story of Qiu Ju). There are some well-known later ones that I was going to leave off the list, but changed my mind. I also think he did great work on ones he didn't direct but was a cinematographer, Yellow Earth being one of my favourite Chinese films. Do you have a favourite of these?  I expect that Raise the Red Lantern will get the most votes (at least when it comes to his early ones).

Here's the list of his film as director at wikipedia.  I haven't seen his latest. I didn't include Codename Cougar because he co-directed it.

For sheer beauty, I would choose the first three options.  I think Ju Dou is a particular favourite of mine -- I love the cinematography. Of later ones, my favourite is Not One Less. The Road Home I found pretty dull, and Happy Times didn't really do it for me. I'm not that into his martial arts ones.

I haven't seen any of the latest three (or maybe I did see Curse of the Golden Flower but forgot since I have a terrible memory and have had eyesight problems in recent years that stopped me from watching film for a long time).

Filmography

[edit] As director

Year English Title Chinese Title Notes
1987 Red Sorghum 红高粱 Golden Bear winner in the 1988 Berlin International Film Festival
1988 Codename Cougar 代号美洲虎 (co-director)
1990 Ju Dou 菊豆 (nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards)
1991 Raise the Red Lantern 大红灯笼高高挂 (nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards)
1992 The Story of Qiu Ju 秋菊打官司 Golden Lion winner in the 1992 Venice International Film Festival
1994 To Live 活着 Grand Jury Prize winner in the 1994 Cannes Film Festival
1995 Shanghai Triad 摇啊摇,摇到外婆桥
1995 Zhang Yimou
Segment of the anthology film, Lumière and Company
1997 Keep Cool 有話好好說
1999 Not One Less 一个都不能少 Golden Lion winner at the 1999 Venice International Film Festival
1999 The Road Home 我的父亲母亲
2000 Happy Times 幸福時光
2002 Hero 英雄 (nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards)
2004 House of Flying Daggers 十面埋伏
2005 Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles 千里走单骑
2006 Curse of the Golden Flower 满城尽带黄金甲
2007 Movie Night
Segment of the anthology film, To Each His Cinema
2009 A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop[32] 三枪拍案惊奇 Entered into the 60th Berlin International Film Festival

Edited by Logan - August 11 2010 at 14:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 15:12
Glad to see another Zhang Yimou admirer on the forums. Thumbs Up I love Zhang Yimou, especially for his earlier works. He's certainly one of the best and most unique cinematographers alive, and his use of colour is, at times, amazing. I too, am less fond of his martial films, although they're still good.

Even though I love his earlier works, I voted for Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles. The story is reasonably simple, but it's one of those few films (together with Grave of the Fireflies) that actually managed to leave me in tears. Furthermore, Ken Takakura's  performance as Gouichi Takata was simply perfect.

Edited by Zebedee - August 11 2010 at 15:20

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 15:17
Originally posted by Zebedee Zebedee wrote:

Glad to see another Zhang Yimou admirer on the forums. Thumbs Up I love Zhang Yimou, especially for his earlier works. He's certainly one of the best and most unique cinematographers alive, and his use of colour is, at times, amazing. I too, am less fond of his martial films, although they're still good.

Even though I love his earlier works, I voted for Riding Alone for a Thousand Miles. The story is reasonably simple, but it's one of those few films (together with Grave of the Fireflies) that actually managed to leave me in tears. Furthermore, Ken Takakura's  performance as Gouichi Takatawas simply perfect.

And I haven't even seen Riding Alone.... I'm glad I started this poll cause I'm going to remember to keep my eyes open for it when at video stores.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 15:25
^I remember watching it with my dad a couple of years ago, and near the end we were both crying like babies. LOL

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 20:11
I have never heard of anything mentioned in this thread
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 05:26
I love those 1990 - 1992 classics, especially RAISE THE RED LANTERN.
NOT ONE LESS, THE ROAD HOME and HERO weren't half bad either.

Edited by fuxi - August 12 2010 at 05:26
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 14:45
Thanks for the responses.  I thought more people would be familiar with, and into, Zhang Yimou's films here. I'm going to rent Riding Alone ere long.... I remember now that I actually did rent it before, and my wife saw it, but my eyes were suffering and so I'd stopped watching films regularly. I love Grave of the Fireflies, which you mentioned (that and Spirited Away are particular favourite anime films of mine).

Triceratopstoil: I recommend that you rent (or borrow from the library if you can) Red Sorghum, Ju Dou, and Raise the Red Lantern.  Those are the ones that really turned me onto the director.

Edited by Logan - August 12 2010 at 14:48
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 21:17
well, hell, my magic library has all three Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply