FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree, Dear Hunter & Coheed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree, Dear Hunter & Coheed
    Posted: August 16 2010 at 17:26
I saw the show in San Diego this past weekend.  The venue was relatively small, although I thought the sound system there was a bit weak.  The Dear Hunter played first for about 30-40 minutes.  I like them a lot, but they seemed less polished at playing live than I would have liked.  Their songs really require that you hear the words, but it was hard to do so.  During a break, they were in the lobby signing albums.  It was great to speak to them.  Overall, I give them a B.

Porcupine Tree played longer -- maybe 60 to 75 minutes.  They were much more polished as you would expect and very good.  My only complaint was that all the music came from the last four albums (I am not even sure I heard anything from Deadwing).  I give them a A. 

Coheed played last.  I don't really like them, and I found them even less enjoyable live (with the mediocre sound system).  I stayed for a couple of songs, but that was it.

Speaking to people before and during the show, I did not find anyone who liked both Porcupine Tree and Coheed.  (In fact, very few people knew Dear Hunter, but that is another story.)  It kind of makes me question whether Coheed should be deemed progressive rock, but that is a subject for another post.   
"Fell asleep in 1980 and woke up in 2008"
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 17:51
Wish I could have gone for PT and DH, don't really care about Coheed.  Were The Dear Hunter nice to you when you spoke to them?
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 18:11

I wish i could seed PT and Dear Hunter together, i would skip coheed. They just ruin a good lineup...

Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 21:02
Originally posted by JROCHA JROCHA wrote:

I wish i could seed PT and Dear Hunter together, i would skip coheed. They just ruin a good lineup...

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 21:04
I love Coheed but they're a studio band. They don't pull it off live.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 22:29
I personally love PT and Coheed.  Am I the only one? Disapprove

On a sidenote, yeah, Coheed isn't too strong live (from the live DVDs), but still energetic.

Also: I don't really care for TDH all that much.

Edited by ptkc123 - August 16 2010 at 22:31

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 22:54
Don't care for TDH?  Am I gonna have to knock some sense into you? Stern Smile
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 00:11
I remember watching a video of Coheed And Cambria play Blood Red Summer live. It was just shocking, timing was wrong, vocals were crap, guitars seemed out of tune. And yet the album version is a perfect single. I don't mind if a band uses the studio to make themselves sound good- sound desk manipulation is a legitimate musical skill and makes for better records- but it does mean I won't pay to see you live.
Rip Van ProgWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 00:48
The Dear Hunter were nice when I spoke with them.  I think they said the next album will be out next year.  Given the noise and the other people, I didn't get as much chance to chat as I would have liked.  One thing that was nice about their show.  My favorite song of theirs is "He Said He Had a Story," based in part on the absolutely fabulous lyrics.  To my pleasant surprise this was their finale.  Since I don't know anyone else in person who likes the band (or really anyone else in person who likes progressive rock -- ah!), I had no way of knowing that this was a popular song. 
"Fell asleep in 1980 and woke up in 2008"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 14:24
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I love Coheed but they're a studio band. They don't pull it off live.
I pretty much agree with this.....They come to Seattle almost every year, but play a small indoor club venue about 800-1000 people. Two yrs ago they played the Puyallup Fair...larger outdoor venue and I was pumped as I figured the show would be better production, stage show and sound. Sound was better but the show kind of boring visually.
The songs are tough to follow as they seem to meld all together.......I did not go see them this year, again they played a small venue in Seattle.
Studio wise they are a good band with good production.

I guess not all bands are meant for the live stage.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 02:32
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I remember watching a video of Coheed And Cambria play Blood Red Summer live. It was just shocking, timing was wrong, vocals were crap, guitars seemed out of tune. And yet the album version is a perfect single. I don't mind if a band uses the studio to make themselves sound good- sound desk manipulation is a legitimate musical skill and makes for better records- but it does mean I won't pay to see you live.

Timing was wrong? Don't know about that one...
Oh ya, they play flat (a semitone down) for all their shows.   I personally think it's because Claudio can't sing nearly as high-pitched as he does in the studio.  When they were younger, they were quite sloppy (see Live at Starland Ballroom DVD), but they've improved given time.

VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 15:16
Man, I would have loved to see PT and TDH. Don't really know Coheed that much, but the first two would have been awesome.
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 06:53
I would have likes to see all three, as I'm realy into all their albums, but I admit that PT would be the main attraction for me.
krishl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 12:55
I saw this show last night (with my oldest son) at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Asheville North Carolina.  Drove about 250 miles, mostly in the pouring rain, to get there.  Arrived early enough to walk around this nice shop / bar / restaurant area near the auditorium and to have dinner at a decent Cuban restaurant there.  

I've been a PT fan for just a few years, but quickly became addicted and own most of their CDs.  I saw them in Charlotte a couple of months ago (for the first time) with Bigelf and they were just fabulous, performing all of The Incident and a similar-length set of earlier songs, including a double-plus-extended encore version of Trains complete with the bassist vacuuming the stage while Wilson began yet another reprise of acoustic bits.  Just awesome.  As a long-time Yes fan, I really appreciate the way that PT's live performances are as tight as their studio recordings.  I've enjoyed listening to C&C's first four albums (introduced to me by my son and by some of my students), but had never heard of TDH.

So, we went into the auditorium a bit before 7, well in time for the published 7:30 start.  No need to line up earlier since we had assigned seats in Row N.  I had to pay $2 to get a blue wrist band so that I could pay $5 for a plastic cup of beer, but it was a pretty decent pale ale, so I guess it's all right that it cost about the same as a six-pack of Sierra Nevada.

The stage was really crowded with three drum kits and all sorts of other triply redundant equipment.  The Dear Hunter started at 7:30 on the dot and they were about as loud as it is possible for my ears to imagine.  I don't think I ever heard Deep Purple or Black Sabbath or The Who play louder.  Ear plugs wouldn't have helped, since the low frequencies were also cranked way up.  Most of my internal organs probably suffered some damage.  I have no idea what the band were singing about as I could discern no words.   Really lively, somewhat complex, and did I mention LOUD?  If they'd played any longer I would have had to go out in the lobby for some relief.  Still, I do want to give their studio albums a listen and will try to pick up one soon.

It took about half an hour to clear TDH's equipment off stage and arrange the PT setup.  When PT came on stage, Steve Wilson greeted the "Coheed & Cambria fans," which generated a lot of applause and cheering.  Then he asked if there were any PT fans, and to my ear got a louder response, but maybe that was my bias.   They played for about an hour, with the opening of The Incident, Open Car, Russia on Ice, a concise rendition of Trains, Blackest Eyes, Anesthetize, Way Out of Here, maybe something else I'm not remembering (and I probably  have the order wrong).  They ended, took a bow, and left the stage, with no expectation of an encore for obvious reasons.

The dozen or more roadies then took the stage to remove the PT gear and get the C&C equipment ready.  I was surprised that they simply removed the mikes and cymbals from the PT drum kit and then covered the rest of the drum kit with a purple tarp.

About 10:15 PM or so, the crowd began to chant Coheed Coheed Coheed.  Perhaps that's what the band were waiting for, because they came right out and started playing, almost as loudly as TDH.  The lead singer's hair formed a bushy cone around his head into which the microphone disappeared for the singing, which like TDH, was mostly inaudible.  But that was all right, because the C&C fans in the audience (the majority by a long shot it seems) knew ALL the lyrics to ALL the songs and sang along on EVERY song.  Sometimes Sanchez would step away from the mike and the audience would do the heavy lifting for a verse or chorus. Three well-tattooed emo chicks standing in front of us (no one used the seats during PT or C&C) knew all the words and sang them with their hands clasped in prayer near their chins throughout the show.   Impressive fandom participation, I must say, kind of like going to see Rocky Picture Horrow Show.

C&C played for an hour+, left, then came back for a two-song encore, with the first song being an acoustic Sanchez-only love song --  the emo chicks swooned.  The second encore featured a battle between Sanchez (using his guitar as the weapon) and the big speaker near the drummer.  While it was probably intended to look impromptu, he had set it up near the beginning of the piece with his frantic hand jive communications with the roadie who was crouching behind that speaker, getting him to move the keyboard and other accoutrements off of the speaker.

We were back to the car by 11:45 PM and drove home, arriving about 3:30 AM, slowed down a bit by the NASCAR traffic leaving the big race in Bristol earlier in the day.

All in all, an excellent experience, though now I know that I do not need to see C&C live again, but will try to catch PT again and soon, preferably in a headlining performance.

YMMV,
Chris

Edited by krishl - August 22 2010 at 13:02
reedjo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 12:50
The Ashville show was indeed much too loud and insanely bass-heavy. The show could have been entitled "Duets for bass drum and distorted bass guitar." During portions of songs that focused on Richard's spacey and delicate keyboards, I heard nothing and most of SW's vocals were undetectable. I only went to see PT and did not stay for C&C. I love PT, and thought their show a few months earlier in Charlotte was amazing. The poor sound in Asheville, however, ruined the experience for me. On the other hand, I have an acquaintance who attended the same concert and had no such complaints. Go figure.
 Post Reply Post Reply