Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeon Alvarado Strangers In Strange Places

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leon Alvarado Strangers In Strange Places
    Posted: August 24 2010 at 23:24
It's been a whilst since I last wrote on this forum. Here is an update on my latest CD. It will ahve two original songs and one Genesis cover.

Release date:
October 2010

Songs (in running order):
1. Strange Places 5:03
2. Broken Promises (extended version) 8:02
3. Second Home By The Sea 7:07

Personnel:
Leon Alvarado: Keyboards, drums, programming (all tracks)
Bill R. dos Santos: extra keyboards and programming on 3
John Goodsall: guitars on 1
Bill Bruford: drum tracks on 1

Recorded at The Room & Red Star Recording
Engineered by LA except (3) LA & Larry Shaunce
Mixed at Alfa Studios.
Mastered by Andy Walter at Abbey Road Studios
Design and Art Direction by Synergy Design.

www.leonplaysmusic.com
All tracks by Alvarado except "Second Home By The Sea" by Banks, Collins & Rutherford.

On a personal note,
It has been a very exciting journey. Within the next couple of months I will have a couple of records under my belt and I must say it feels very satisfying. Along the way I have made some friends and spoke or worked with some "heavy hitters" in the industry. On my first album I had the opportunity to work with Tony Cousins who had done the great bulk of the re-mastering on the Genesis box sets. In between that, he did some of my music as well as some by Peter Gabriel. I also got to work with Ty Tabor (founder member of King's X). Ty is a very gifted musician who's talent stretches over many aspects of music production.

Steve Hackett and I have become somewhat of pen pals, we keep in touch from time to time. I sent him a copy of my first CD which he liked quite a lot.

For my second album I had the good fortune to having John Goodsall playing on one of my own compositions. To top that off, the drums on that piece are played by Bill Bruford who is one of the best drummers ever to grace the world's best concert halls.

Somewhere in between projects I have held several conversations with some key people that in their own way, have helped me through the making of these projects. Among them: Billy Sherwood (Yes, Circa and now YOSO), Nick Davis (Genesis Producer), Anto Drennen (guitars on Genesis' Calling All Stations Tour), my friends over at the Anderson Group of Companies (Ian Anderson) and Callandria Productions (James Anderson), Doane Perry (Jethro Tull drummer), Steve Hackett (already mentioned), Brad Cole (Phil Collins) and Paul D'Adamo (who sometimes drives me crazy but you got to love the man).

In all, it has been the experience of a lifetime. Whether hanging out with Phil Collin's band after the shows in NYC, back stage with Jethro Tull in Texas, shooting a documentary for Paul's new album or staying in the studio until the wee hours working on a mix, it has been fun and something to remember.

I hope that at the end I find enough people of similar taste to understand what I'm trying to do here. It is not for the money but strictly for the love of music and art itself. My projects are 100% percent independent and funded by my own money. It is the only way to have total creative control which is very important for a CD. 

Those who have listened to my previous album either by buying it (CDBbaby.com) or through iTunes or Amazon.com, may want to have something to look forward to. The new CD may only be an EP of three songs at around 20 minutes but, it will pack a gate-fold cover reminiscent of the mini LPs with some pretty interesting artwork. A lot of care went into my last album and the new project should reflect that as well.

leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 20:19
The album is on track for next month's release. You can view the artwork over at:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5063180&fbid=439276022481&id=45610852481
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 20:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:42
Here is the link for the web store regarding the merchandise. Please check out the t-shirts. I think we got some winning designs there.

http://www.reverbnation.com/store/index/artist_548963

Edited by leonalvarado - September 17 2010 at 22:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 22:52
The inner cover is inspired by the art of Roger Dean. I wanted to have a completely different creative approach than my previous cover. I also wanted for the cover to reflect the main track "Strange Places". I am pretty pleased with the music and the artwork on this CD. I hope people will like it just as much as I do.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 17:57
Strangers In Strange Places is now available over at CD Baby, DigStation and iTunes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 00:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 16:42
Not really a tribute band but an original musician who recorded some covers by one of the best progressive bands of all times, Genesis.
 Post Reply Post Reply