Topic ClosedSummer's End - Day 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer's End - Day 3
    Posted: October 10 2010 at 16:56
Again a slightly cut short experience, mainly due to the brilliance of Phideaux as well as being tired and feet hurting bad (as described yesterday).

Multifuse kicked off Sunday's events in a nice fashion. A bit clumsy as a live act I thought, but well made dreamy music in an art pop vein, coming across as a proggy version of Bel Canto in my ears, Violet Hour another association in my ears. To pop-oriented for many in the crowd, but a pleasant listen for me. I do suspect that their album is far superior to their live performance.

Dead Heroes Club enthralled many with their brand of Neo, atmospheric and melodic with great and distinct moods of the darker kind. Convincing enough for me to buy their debut album, and got themselves quite a few new fans this evening I think.

Phideaux rules the evening though. The 10 men and women strong band transfixed the audience, and the applause thundered through Lydney Town Hall after each number, and they were convinced to do an encore as well after popular demand. Phideaux himself is a charming and effective frontman, eager to share the limelight with the rest of the band and always with a snappy or funny comment at hand. In a league of their own is a good description - in a fair world this guy and band should headline stadiums.

Sylvan suffered heavily by playing next, even more so as the monitor for the vocalist seemed to be skewed. And with the vocals being so important to their sound, for me this became unbearable - I'm very picky on vocals though I might add. Left before they finished and headed home alongside my deadly tired better half. And missed The Watch due to that sadly. I spoke with one of the guys there who did say something about playing in Oslo in 2011, so better catch them there I guess.

All in all a nice and interesting weekend, and one I hope to repeat soon. Next time with better shoes for starters, quality footwear is essential for long days at stand-up venues.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 15:27
I can sympathise with you about the feet problem, three days standing infront of the stage can leave you very tired. Phideaux have gained a number of new fans this weekend, speaking to a few people in the two breaks afterwards it seems that many were blown away by a band that a good few hadnt heard of before.

Sylvan surprised me. I have Posthumous Silence and it doesnt impress me at all, but the live set was punchy, atmospheric and ingaging, I'm going to have to give that album another listen or try something else from them. A shame about the vocalists throught, it was clear that as the gig got longer the more trouble he had with the high notes but he seemed to push on all the same. Sound wasnt as good as the previous days but a I gather the buy in charge of the front of house desk (who I think is Also Eden's keyboard player) wasnt able to join us on Sunday so Nick (engineer with dreadlocks) was having to do it all by himself again. I think the problem might be time constraints and/or manpower, 1 man just isnt enough to do both front of house and feedback monitors and get the best from both.

The Watch were excellent. I was sceptical about having a band that had half their set made from Genesis covers headlining the day, but Huw and Steve clearly know what they are doing as the encre consisted of an excellent performance of Suppers Ready and an absolutely barnstorming rendition of The Knife. The whole hall sung along to both songs and it was a perfect ending to the weekend. It was also highly ironic since about 20 of us had been taking the mic out of the truly dreadful karaoke singers in the pub next door whilst waiting for The Watch.

Hope you can make it again next year Olav, maybe we'll even recognise each other then.   
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 15:35
Oh, you probably saw me without realizing who I were. Partially in a white t-shirt with blue print, partially with a long, blue coat on top of it. And with a tiny wife who sat out in the hallway most of the time, as the sound was too loud for her. Was out there rather often talking to her - when not outside smoking in solitude or chatting with the rest of the Norwegians present.

That I'm going bold and was amongst the tallest people in the audience might be additional clues that could fire up some recollections, that I preferred being in the back of the hall an additional one ;-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 15:47
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Oh, you probably saw me without realizing who I were. Partially in a white t-shirt with blue print, partially with a long, blue coat on top of it. And with a tiny wife who sat out in the hallway most of the time, as the sound was too loud for her. Was out there rather often talking to her - when not outside smoking in solitude or chatting with the rest of the Norwegians present.

That I'm going bold and was amongst the tallest people in the audience might be additional clues that could fire up some recollections, that I preferred being in the back of the hall an additional one ;-)
Vague recollections are beginning to form. You probably saw me as well, and being 25 and I stuck out as being one of the few young 'uns at the festival (there were more here this year than previous years, and that doesnt include those being draged along by parents) with long hair, rather short stature and a revolving wardrobe of t-shirts (red IQ, black To-Mera and blue Summers End). Spent most of my time in the company of two older gents that looked old enough to be my dad, but most certainly werent. Was on the left hand side of the hall most of the time.

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 16:01
Vague recollections indeed :-)

I'm a tad older than you (38) and probably one you automatically sorted under the parent generation classification. I do look like I'm in my mid 40's or so, as I've done for the past 15 years or so *chuckles*
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 17:22
Back again... day three,
my wife and i live about an hour away in the sleepy cotswoldsSleepy (don't you believe itWacko) and again after sorting various pets and family related things turned up about 4.00- so we saw Phideaux who were fantastic!!! really, really enjoyed their set.. very tight playing, very eclectic and a gentle, friendly humourous vibe coming from the band. will definately check 'em out in future. Sylvan's music is not really my thing but i did warm to them & felt that they worked hard at their sound and was partially converted by the end; again the singer was having problems with his voice and he did look a bit green around the gills later. My wife really enjoyed them! The Watch were fantastic!!!! y'know its funny what was said about the kareoke thing.. ive been to gigs where ive stood next to someone singing their head off and thought 'ive come to hear the band, not you..' but there i was singing my head off with tears streaming down my face... so sorry to anyone who thought 'i wish that little twerp would shut up'.. My wife and i are quite short and after a weekend of tall blokes pushing in front of us & pushing between us ( and something else i won't mention.....) i feel moderately justified in having a damn sing with something i love!!!
Yes, we fit into that 45-55 catagory; my son probably would have been there with us if he wasnt at a songwriting workshop.. he is coming with me to see Rush next year!!
All in All, a fantastic weekend- thanks to Huw & Stephen for creating something so (local to me!!!!) fantastic- long, long may it continue!ClapClap

happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 14:07
Rrrrr gutted I missed the Watch, it sounds like they were awesome. Another time...

Speaking of t-shirts, I saw some great ones, and particularly admired the two men and one woman I saw wearing "Keep Calm and Mellotron" t-shirts. VERY COOL! Me I got a sweet Power of Two t-shirt, which I have since worn every day.
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 14:28
My wife got me one of those T-shirtsBig smile and a car sticker of the same!! it was a play on words of the WW2 slogan 'keep calm and carry on'.. on the back its got 'careless prog costs lives'.. another skit on a world war 2 slogan; all part of the 'defenders of the realm' show which was based on the WW2 with band and merchandise sellers dressed up in 'period outfits' ( i must say the lady on the merchandise stall looked very smartWink)  See reviews of day 1...Clap

happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 15:32
Ahh they were on sale there?? I didn't realise it was from DotR, nor did I see the back! Excellent stuff though. I hope I'll be somewhere some time where I can pick one up. You're lucky with a wife like that! My boyfriend doesn't even know what a Mellotron is.

Edit: 100th post. It only took me six years. Party...

Edited by happythe - October 13 2010 at 15:32
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 16:56
Apparently (according to wifey.. who obviously took more notice than me) they are available from their websiteSmile!!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 08:21
^I only got the Summers End 2010 T in blue on friday night, the very last one they had in medium. I dont think they make many of those compared to the large and extra large. Was considering buying a Haken T, but decided to spend my money on CD's instead, though the To-Mera t-shirt I was wearing got Tom MacLeans attention (Haken bassist) and we spent about 10 minutes before Ark came on chatting, great bloke.

Post Reply Post Reply