Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrom a newbie to a DT groupie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: From a newbie to a DT groupie
    Posted: June 09 2005 at 11:59
Yeah, today I have come of age. It wasn't easy but I made it to the next level.
And to celebrate I ordered Octavarium.

See, where I come from, you can't just go down to the corner and get it.
The closest shop that would have it at the moment is about one hour in a plane, so I really want to know its not cr*p and I was relying on some 'solid' reviews to help me out with that and u delivered. I really like DT but ToT was not what I was expecting from them after the albums before.

I should say that I have been a Yes fan for a long time which is the reason I like prog rock. They are still one of my favourites but I have been checking out this site for months before joining the forums and I have members to thank for recommending such groups as Porcupine Tree, Symphony X, Kamelot, Dead Soul Tribe, POS, Liquid Tension Experiment, Opeth(Damnation) as well as reminding me of how good some of the older bands such as Camel and Marillion are.

I am currently listening to    Deadwing and In Absentia - Porcupine Tree
         & ;nbs p;        &nbs p;&nbs p;       &nbs p; &nbs p;
         &n bs p;          &nbs p;          &nbs p; and    Close to the Edge/Relayer/Fragile/Tormato - Yes  ( I actually only really like 'On the silent wings of freedom' and Release/Release from that album so I skip the rest)

I do have a broader taste in music though and I like Mozart as well as jazz artists like John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Jimmy Smith. One of my favourite albums just outside prog would be Queens, Sheer Heart Attack from which Metallica did a version of Stone Cold Crazy (not as good as the original IMO) One of the wierdest albums I have is by Freddie Hubbard called Sing me a song of Songmy. Some weird cr*p goin down on that album man.

One of the most sublime instrumental pieces I have ever heard is Gabriels Oboe composed by Ennio Morricone. So thats a bit of a starter.  Cheers for the tips.

Edited by barbs
Eternity
 Post Reply Post Reply