Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJoanna Newsom for prog folk - again!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 14:41
I HATE Joanna Newsom's music, but I don't see why not. Because she isn't rock? I don't recall Comus or Blackmore's Night doing anything rock either.

Whole categories like progressive folk and progressive electronic includes music that isn't rock at all.

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Kate Bush is already in PA.

I don't see how that's relevant as they sound nothing alike.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 14:43
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

[Roger,
Outside being a Kate Bush clone, could you be a little more specific and argument as to why you'd see just another singer-songwriter and her piano being anything remotely "prog"... just look up a DVD of her concert, you'll be bored by the fourth song, because she's fairly one-dimensional artiste (something that we couldn't possibly say about Newsom, though) and her stage presence (outside her atrocious tastes in clothes) is about lesser than a carrot.....

Yeah, if a woman makes weird music that makes her a Kate Bush clone. It's good to know this forum only lets the best and the brightest contribute.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 16:39
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

[Roger,
Outside being a Kate Bush clone, could you be a little more specific and argument as to why you'd see just another singer-songwriter and her piano being anything remotely "prog"... just look up a DVD of her concert, you'll be bored by the fourth song, because she's fairly one-dimensional artiste (something that we couldn't possibly say about Newsom, though) and her stage presence (outside her atrocious tastes in clothes) is about lesser than a carrot.....

Yeah, if a woman makes weird music that makes her a Kate Bush clone. It's good to know this forum only lets the best and the brightest contribute.

If you believe the press, then practically any woman singer who isn't Britney Spears/Cheryl Cole is a "Kate Bush clone" or "Kate Bush influenced" e.g. Bat for Lashes, Florence etc etc.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 17:28
From the one track posted, I wouldn't call her a Kate Bush clone. But her voice and phrasing are a bit like Kate's.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 18:49
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I have always said, the purpose of this archive is to direct people of similar taste to other great music they could enjoy and might not otherwise find.

Hear hear!

BTW I heard Paul Stump, author of 'The Music's All That Matters', interviewed on the radio recently about the latest edition of his book and he chose three tracks to be played:

Genesis - The Fountain of Salmacis
Egg - While Growing My Hair

and

Joanna Newsom - Monkey and Bear

I know it doesn't prove anything but it does show that the idea of Joanna Newsom being progressive has a currency beyond a few people posting on this forum.
Bob
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 18:59

I HATE Joanna Newsom's music, but I don't see why not. Because she isn't rock? I don't recall Comus or Blackmore's Night doing anything rock either.

Whole categories like progressive folk and progressive electronic includes music that isn't rock at all.

That's similar to my line of thinking.

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Kate Bush is already in PA.

I don't see how that's relevant as they sound nothing alike.

Re: Bush vs. Amos, I don't mind Tori being on PA, but do find it kind of odd that Kate is in Prog Related while Tori is in Crossover. Maybe I'm missing what makes Tori more prog than Kate. I dunno. *shrug* I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I'm really more flustered about Tori making it and Happy Rhodes isn't here at all! No justice, dang it! Wink

Edited by FunkyM - February 09 2011 at 19:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 19:37

[Roger,

He was talking about Tori Amos and not Newsom, though even then I am not sure about the comparison.  I suppose Newsom is just another singer-songwriter with a harp. Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 02:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

[Roger,

He was talking about Tori Amos and not Newsom, though even then I am not sure about the comparison. 
I suppose Newsom is just another singer-songwriter with a harp. Wink

yes, I was speaking of TA.... To me Newsom doesn't remind me much of Bush....
 and Kate is harfly "just another singer-songwriter", she's much more than thatClap....
I used that expression only for Tori Amos, which I also happen to like the first two albums.... the rest is more of the same but in a more boring singer-songwriter manner...

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 01:53
Bangable woman indeed that Andy Samberg is one lucky dude