Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould hard narcotics be legalized?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Items such as heroin, morphine, crack, coke, and PCP
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [60.00%]
14 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 12:18
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Just curious Pat, do you think non-psychoactive medication should be unrestricted. Such as cardiac medicine that is great for ailing hearts with correct monitoring but can kill if incorrectly used? Guys like me would just give suggestions for use rather than prescriptions?

Well unrestricted is a vague term. If you mean unrestricted by any sort of government mandate then yes. Professional and industrial means of restricting the sale, I have no objection to that. I think that some drugs should be more freely available. Some should probably remain a little more rigidly kept.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 12:30
Well that's the hard part. When does a semi-private body (like the American Medical Association) get just as bad as "government" when they are handed the keys to regulation. I certainly think that a group of pharmacists and doctors would be better at choosing rules about medicine than businessmen and lawyers, but there are alot of conflicts of interest that could muddy that system too.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 12:41
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Well that's the hard part. When does a semi-private body (like the American Medical Association) get just as bad as "government" when they are handed the keys to regulation. I certainly think that a group of pharmacists and doctors would be better at choosing rules about medicine than businessmen and lawyers, but there are alot of conflicts of interest that could muddy that system too.

I didn't say allow the AMA, which is nothing more than a cartel, to control the supply. Each individual firm producing it would control the supply. However, firms often band together and set certain industry standards. I don't mean establishing a quasi-governmental body embedded in a private organization.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 12:49
Well those are important distinctions. But having the suppliers self-regulate seems like a plan doomed to failure. Doctors don't self regulate worth a crap and that's part of why we have the tort problem. Licensing is ostensibly the medical profession self-regulating, and I know you're not a fan of that. The question I have is when do a "band of firms" become "quasi-governmental?"

ed. I don't even belong to the AMA for various reasons. It was just an example.

Edited by Negoba - January 21 2011 at 12:49
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 13:05
It is doomed to failure for certain things, but only if you have a conception of certain things that you want regulated in a certain way. I don't see a need for much regulation at all obviously. Without a government, bands of firms don't really ever become quasi-government in the way I mean the word.

EDIT: Are you a doctor or just in the research end of medicine? I've always assumed the latter.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - January 21 2011 at 13:06
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 13:15
When children suffer because of the bad habits of their parents then there needs to be a way for said children to escape the situation until such a time when those parents get their priorities straight. raising a human life should always come before destructive habits
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

It is doomed to failure for certain things, but only if you have a conception of certain things that you want regulated in a certain way. I don't see a need for much regulation at all obviously. Without a government, bands of firms don't really ever become quasi-government in the way I mean the word.

EDIT: Are you a doctor or just in the research end of medicine? I've always assumed the latter.

I'm a doctor in a community clinic run by a large private organization funded almost entirely by various government programs. Big smile My boards are in Family Medicine but I do about 2/3 Adult Medicine and 1/3 Psychiatry.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 13:59
Cool cool. My girlfriend was med school bound before I talked her out of it.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 14:53
It's probably not worth it. Some amazing life experience though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 22:50
The research side of things made more sense for her for a variety of personal reasons.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

General reminder.

Please remember our rules relating to illegal activities. Do not use this forum to promote the use of illegal drugs.

Don't worry I got it under control for you. I already banned Stoney.

Oh thank God someone finally did Tongue
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 05:24
No
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234