Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummers End-Lydney,UK - Latest News, Line up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2011 at 10:23
Originally posted by anaesthetist anaesthetist wrote:

It was a jolly good time with lashings of beer  Clap
Any chance of a bit more detail? (and not that you drank 10 Stella'sLOL)
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2011 at 12:34
^I'll write a review of what was a cracking weekend later this evening.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

anaesthetist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 10:28
 Sleeper's will probably be a better review than mine as I was only there for the Saturday and Sundaybut I'll give my opinion anyway.

Invertigo were the first band on that I saw and I was very impressed by the music.Very melodic and may have even bought their cd if it wasn't for it being my first day. I thought the vocalist wasn't as good as the music deserved but he did look like Rafa Benitez and it was only a minor problem.

Casual Silence played some really good songs and the vocalist had a great voice on him.I was surprised that he announced they were splitting up after Summer's End and I'll be looking to find some of their back catalogue.

Day SIx  I wasn't really looking forward to from what I'd heard other people say about them but,after a while,I started to enjoy them for what they were.At tmes frenetic guitar playing and some serious gurning from the vocalist/guitarist with a few quieter moments thrown in.

I really enjoyed The Tangent and they were the highlight of the day for me.I'd not heard too much  of  them before(only Down and Out In Paris) and I was really impressd with the sound and the playing so much,I bought my first cd of the weekend in their latest "Comm"

I was a little disappointed in Arena,as they were the band I was looking forward to most on the Saturday.I can't put my finger on why because they did put on a good show.Maybe I'd built them up too much.I did buy Pepper's Ghost though.

Sunday started with Concrete Lake who,for me,were the surprise package of the weekend. Some great prog with some well written and well crafted songs,heavy in places but shifting quite easily into more gentle and melodic sections in most of their songs.I'll be keeping a look out for these guys,who are supposed to be going into the studio in the New Year.Oh.... and the whole band seemed to be on springs as they bounced up and down alot.

Credo were excellent and a track they played called "Insane" persuaded me to buy "Against Reason ".They reminded me of Marilion in places but that's no bad thing.If you get the chance to watch them on their next tour,you should go.

Headspace weren't my cup of tea,I'm afraid, and I left after 20 minutes to grab some food in a pub somewhere, but what I heard sounded ok

Magenta were bloody excellent and my highlight of the weekend. Christina's voice reminds me of Annie Haslam and they didn't put a foot wrong.

Caravan was a really great end to the proceedings.It was the first time I've seen them live and I'd go again.There was good banter between the band and they seemed to be really enjoying themselves up there which always makes for a good gig, imo.

That's my first review and it may not be a good review and I'll probably neeed a lot more experience of writing them before you get a good one,but you have to start somewhereBeer
it's in the way that you use it
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 14:32
^ cheers
Thumbs Up

I've seen Magenta 4 times and they've always impressed me especially lead guitarist Chris Fry. Did they play much from the new album Chameleon and if so did you like it?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 17:17
^They played several tracks from Chameleon and they were very good.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2011 at 01:18
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

cheers
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2011 at 08:45

I decided to buy Chameleon and Home after they played and I've played Chameleon once I arrived back home and it's a very good album on first listen
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2011 at 09:17

I decided to buy Chameleon and Home after they played and I've played Chameleon once I arrived back home and it's a very good album on first listen

I bought Cahmeleon as well and I think it might be their best album. Home I find to be their weekest and I was glad they didnt play much from that album.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2011 at 08:26

I bought Cahmeleon as well and I think it might be their best album. Home I find to be their weekest and I was glad they didnt play much from that album.

I'd heard "Home" and "Seven" once and was unsure which of them to buy so I took advice off Lambsie and Bought "Home".  After 2 listens,I'm very impressed with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123