Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite The Who Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 13:51
I love the Quadrophenia album (also the film), my second favorite would be Who´s Next especially because of the song Baba O'Riley.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 23:55
Magic Bus.

No, just kidding. Who's next, Tommy or Quadrophenia. I last played Who's Next so that is numero uni until I play one of the others.Mind you, Sell Out may be the best proto-prog album ever. Unless that honour belongs to Are You Experienced.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 00:50
Townshend's first rock opera A Quick One, While His Away from A Quick One the album released in autumn 1966 would be mentioned in this thread.

This video is from legendary The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Cirkus Show

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 10:58
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Townshend's first rock opera A Quick One, While His Away from A Quick One the album released in autumn 1966 would be mentioned in this thread.

This video is from legendary The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Cirkus Show

Maybe not mentioned because the album is very uneven.

Apart from A Quick One, While His Away and Boris the Spider,  the album is very bellow the standard IMHO.

Now A quick one While he's Away is a very simple multi part epic (Not a Rock Opera despite what Townshend says).

The story is quite funny and he tells it in "The Kids Are Alright" , Pete wanted to do a 9 minutes track, but their producer told them that no rock song should exceed the 3.50 minutes, so Pete created a medley mixing Beatles, Beach Boys,  and British Invasion style.

Not a Rock Opera, but good medley

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 12:47
^ This is (mini) rock opera due to libretto.

"(...) In the perfomance on their Live at Leeds album Townshend calls 9 minute "epic" track a "mini-opera" and introduced it as "Tommy's parents". It is also one of the first progressive rock songs. This song tells the story of unamed girl whose lover has been gone "for nigh on a year". Her friends inform her that they have "a remedy"; the remedy comes in the form of Ivor The Engine Driver. When the lover returns, the girl confess her infidelity, and she is ultimately forgiven. (...) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Quick_One,_While_He's_Away

Edited by Svetonio - January 21 2014 at 13:16
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 13:43
Endless Wire the album (2006) also contains a mini opera called Wire & Glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Wire_%28The_Who_album%29#Track_listing

Well, those are my favourite songs from Wire & Glass; they are actually the grand finale of that - pretty underrated - mini opera :

Edited by Svetonio - January 21 2014 at 22:04
Gryphon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 21:46
Quadrophenia
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 21:56

"(...) In the perfomance on their Live at Leeds album Townshend calls 9 minute "epic" track a "mini-opera" and introduced it as "Tommy's parents". It is also one of the first progressive rock songs. This song tells the story of unamed girl whose lover has been gone "for nigh on a year". Her friends inform her that they have "a remedy"; the remedy comes in the form of Ivor The Engine Driver. When the lover returns, the girl confess her infidelity, and she is ultimately forgiven. (...) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Quick_One,_While_He's_Away

Yes I agree Pete called it a mini Rock Opera, but IMO it isn't, the concept of Rock Opera was only developed with Tito Schipa (Then an Alley, aka The Beat Opera) but only used officially for the first time with Tommy.

Pete only says this because his huge ego can accept that his idea of a Rock Opera (He mentioned this to friends), was used for the first time by Tito Schipa JR, so he says he made a mini Rock Opera before Schipa.

As a fact in Leeds he calls it "Our first attempt" and makes a bad joke about the mini skirts.

We all know Pete would never accept somebody did anything before him.

And Prog...In no form, it's quite simple and basic,

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 25 2014 at 22:01

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 22:27
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Yes I agree Pete called it a mini Rock Opera, but IMO it isn't, the concept of Rock Opera was only developed with Tito Schipa (Then an Alley, aka The Beat Opera) but only used officially for the first time with Tommy.

Pete only says this because his huge ego can accept that his idea of a Rock Opera (He mentioned this to friends), was used for the first time by Tito Schipa JR, so he says he made a mini Rock Opera before Schipa.

As a fact in Leeds he calls it "Our first attempt" and makes a bad joke about the mini skirts.

We all know Pete would never accept somebody did anything before him.

And Prog...In no form, it's quite simple and basic,

We all know that Mr Townshend was changed his opinions too many times. 
For example, in the documentary film about making Quadrophenia the album, he said that they were completely off like a band after that album and that everything was bullsh*t after Quad, that they were a real band in 60s only and so on. So, in the same context, he showed a letter what he wrote just after Quad was released and where he said that he left The Who, but never send it. A year after that film, I read an interview with him where he said that his fav The Who albums are Quad and The Who By Numbers.

I agree that A Quick One - While He's Away have nothing to do with progressive rock. This is Rock.

Edited by Svetonio - January 25 2014 at 22:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 22:58

E]

For example, in the documentary film about making Quadrophenia the album, he said that they were completely off like a band after that album and that everything was bullsh*t after Quad, that they were a real band in 60s only and so on. So, in the same context, he showed a letter what he wrote just after Quad was released and where he said that he left The Who, but never send it. A year after that film, I read an interview with him where he said that his fav The Who albums are Quad and The Who By Numbers.

I agree that A Quick One - While He's Away have nothing to do with progressive rock. This is Rock.

Yes I agree, Pete changes his opinion as usual as his socks. LOL

But we all forgive him for that because wouldn't be Pete if he wasn't like that.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

E]

Yes I agree, Pete changes his opinion as usual as his socks. LOL

But we all forgive him for that because wouldn't be Pete if he wasn't like that.
Do you remember ex- petetownshend.com?
He wrote a diary almost every day. For example, one day he wrote about Meher Baba, peace & love, this and that, tomorrow he was Iraqi war supporter.
But there was a forum where an army of The Who fans were posting comments on his diaries, so it was very funny. 

Edited by Svetonio - January 26 2014 at 13:22
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 23:47
Quadrophonia is one of my all time favorite albums.
Who's next is right up there.A more radio friendly album with great songs but Quad to me is their masterpiece
Gryphon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 15:59
quadrophenia

oops, I already said that... 

Edited by Gryphon - March 29 2014 at 16:42
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 13:07
I'm not a huge Who fan but-I'll give It's Hard & Face Dances some love-they contain some my fav Who songs,such as Eminence Front,Athena(don't ask me why i like it),Another Tricky Day.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 23:08
I know very little from them, but I just got a greates't hits album (plus a tribute album about them a bit before), and from the songs I've heard, easily the ones I liked the most are from Quadophenia (Baba O'Reily, Behind Blue Eyes, and Love Will Reign Over Me), so I guess that might just as well be my favourite album. I wonder if it would be necessary for me to actually get that album, or if I got the best of it with the compilation album I already got. By the way, what an amazing singer is Roger Daltrey.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 01:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I know very little from them, but I just got a greates't hits album (plus a tribute album about them a bit before), and from the songs I've heard, easily the ones I liked the most are from Quadophenia (Baba O'Reily, Behind Blue Eyes, and Love Will Reign Over Me), so I guess that might just as well be my favourite album. I wonder if it would be necessary for me to actually get that album, or if I got the best of it with the compilation album I already got. By the way, what an amazing singer is Roger Daltrey.

Baba O'Reilly and Behind Blue Eyes are from Who's Next not Quadrophenia though Live Reign O'er ME is the climax of that album.

Depending whether you like everything you heard from the compilation chances are that the it's the album experience you are after. These 2 and Tommy are some of rock music's and The Who's highest rated albums. The quality of composition,arrangement, performance, (some times live material with the deluxe CD editions) and all round amazing quality of these albums means you will probably need 'em. Go give Who's Next a spin... And after that awesome experience reflect that it is actually a compromise album from the aborted Life House concept.

Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 10:52
Quadrophenia is incredible.  The Who peaked with that album. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:09

You will like this

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 19:37

You will like this

Yeah, nice song, specially the ending. I guess it would have been nice to have it on the compilation I got.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 19:49
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Baba O'Reilly and Behind Blue Eyes are from Who's Next not Quadrophenia though Live Reign O'er ME is the climax of that album. Depending whether you like everything you heard from the compilation chances are that the it's the album experience you are after. These 2 and Tommy are some of rock music's and The Who's highest rated albums. The quality of composition,arrangement, performance, (some times live material with the deluxe CD editions) and all round amazing quality of these albums means you will probably need 'em. Go give Who's Next a spin... And after that awesome experience reflect that it is actually a compromise album from the aborted Life House concept.

Oh yeah, sorry. It seems I remembered it all wrong from when I checked it out. First, seeng the covers, I actually was thinking about "Who's Next", and second, I thought I remembered that the three songs I liked so much were from the same album. However, amazing songs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456