Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSerenity - Prog Metal, again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serenity - Prog Metal, again
    Posted: April 02 2011 at 11:13
Alright, I understand these guys have been rejected before. However, that was with an entirely different prog metal team than there is today. So, I would like to introduce Serenity, a little Austrian Progressive Symphonic Power Metal band. They fuse some really great elements of all three genres (power, symph, and prog) for a really cool sound, different from most cut and dry power or symph bands.
Not to mention their great album art!
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:44

A change in team will never trigger a re-evaluation Andy,
of course, with a new team, opinions might differ but previous decisions are always respected.

the only cause for re-evaluation could be that their new work would be decisively proggier then the music that was available at the time the band was rejected.

So, did they release an album in the last two years that is mind-blowingly more Prog then the albums before?
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:53
Well they've released two albums since 2008 (one a couple of weeks ago, actually)

Although both are not ridiculously more prog than their debut, IMO both are pretty progressive, with obvious power and symph influence. But hey, Rhapsody and Blind Guardian are here, aren't they?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:55
All the conditions are given for a reevaluation, the important thing to know is that they'll need an unanimous "yes" vote for the clearance, because of the previous rejection. 
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 13:27
Yea I understand that.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 13:30
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

. But hey, Rhapsody and Blind Guardian are here, aren't they?

even the Blind Guardian fan in our team would vote No for them so don't get your hopes up.
I'll listen to the samples anyway, after the WE probably, the wife always makes fun of me if I play melodic metal LOL

EDIT:
Looking at their discography, only the last album can be considered. The band has been rejected based on the others, all of them pre-2009.

Edited by Bonnek - April 02 2011 at 13:36
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 22:07
Hey Andyman, I'm with you...nowadays it's very difficult to enter the prog metal genre if you're not playing some strange key changes or weird jazzy funky bits...I would think it's even difficult for Ayreon to get in with the regime now..  
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 06:06

These samples from the new album don't show much progginess. Sounds like 90's Scorpions doing Power Metal. I see no reason for a re-vote.

Edited by Bonnek - April 03 2011 at 06:09
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 08:36
Yea the new album is more just straight symph metal. That's why I was hoping the '08 album was still up for consideration. I guess there's no reason to argue for them now. Hey, a suggestion's just a suggestion, I had nothing to lose.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 09:59

Yea the new album is more just straight symph metal. That's why I was hoping the '08 album was still up for consideration. I guess there's no reason to argue for them now. Hey, a suggestion's just a suggestion, I had nothing to lose.

Yes, the 2008 album sounded a bit like latter-day Threshold at times, but as the previous team decided, just not enough for PA.
big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 12:49
http://progfreak.com/Serenity-52014.html
This should be a valid statement. Or not?

Serenity

Info about Serenity
Country Austria
Added By Plankowner
5 years ago
Base Genre
2007 Metal
Links
Info
7.5 x1
Symphonic Prog Power Metal
Reception
One user rates this artist 7.0 or better, nobody rates it lower. one user thinks it is prog, nobody thinks it is merely related to prog and nobody thinks that it's not prog. show details
Track Statistics The database currently contains 10 studio tracks by Serenity.
Track durations range from 51s to 6m 43s, averaging at 4m 45s with a standard deviation of 2m 09s.
Recent Activities
Overview
Releases
Reviews
Tags
Additions
Purchases
Statistics
Charts
Albums
Studio
Live
DVD
EP
All
Top LPs
Green arrow: all basic tags (rating, main genre and prog status) have been assigned.
Words Untold & Dreams Unlived 2007

7.5 x1
Symphonic Prog Power Metal

Prog Doc
big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 12:50
And their last works are getting progger and progger...
Prog Doc
big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 12:51
Here's an example of what I say
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6fbXMoPug
Prog Doc
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 13:32
^ This track was from their last album 'Death and Legacy', which was duly considered by the Prog Metal team, and they reached the conclusion that it was not progressive enough:

The band have just released another album, 'War of Ages', with Georg Neuhauser and Clementine Delauney sharing vocal duties, and here are three tracks from it plus the official 'teaser':

They are a fantastic band, and I love them to bits, but this sort of stuff doesn't tend to go equate all too readily with 'Prog Metal à la Progarchives'. Doubtless someone from the team will see this thread being bumped, and I'm sure the team is well aware that a new album is out anyway (the original suggester, Andy Webb, back in his former senior member days, is now a big part of the prog metal team himself, so will certainly be listening to this album with due intent, I'm sure)...But even if a re-eval is decided upon based on the new album (unlikely, I feel), a unanimous 'yes' vote would be needed to see the band added, and I just can't envisage that happening, simply because this style of metal isn't really considered particularly progressive on here.

But we'll see what happens...  Tongue
big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 03:53
Maybe I'm really ignorant but I still do not understand the keys to let a band in the prog world, even less in the metal subgenre. I listen to bands sounding power or even kinda doom metal included in the "family" while others are out. Are there parameters to say certainly a band is prog? Or is it just a matter of taste/attitude/will of the team members? I do not discuss their experience and value but it would be of great use at least knowing their ways to the decision. Please, let me know if you have any hint or suggestion for me in order to grow up (OMG, I'm 55 now and still talking about growing up... Lessons never end, though) further to odd rhythms, minor scales, use of keyboards, shattering of the "song schemes" and all the standard considerations about prog. Thank you. Cheers
Prog Doc
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 05:04
This might help

Generally speaking, there are many power/symphonic metal bands that include prog elements in their music, but that does not make them "prog". And yes, there are some bands (though limited in my opinion) in the archives that fall into that category but that was a decision made by a team at the time. So, to a degree, it depends to the attitude/knowledge/experience of the teams but if that is coupled with some common sense criteria and some defined guidelines, then the decisions are made easier.
big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 14:14
As I thought then. Attitude and common sense are always the keystone of any judgment even here. The team is surely made of sensible and wise people but sometimes they might be influenced by personal taste. Do agree 100% that prog is a state of mind rather than mere calculation so the best way to use a classification is to mediate between it and the personal experience we old progsters have and rely onto. Finally, sometimes we should bypass all this and listen to the things we love whatever genre they might be. I.e. I'm fond of new metal, I love first class AOR and a lot of other high quality music though they have nothing to do with prog. Cheers
Prog Doc
 Post Reply Post Reply