Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Poll Question: Which band do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
63 [47.73%]
69 [52.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 04:14
Where Zepp lose the battle for me is from the opening bars of 2112 onward into the future. That's where Rush really gained my attention and the point from where I became an avid Rush follower. Zepp 1, 2, 3 and 4 were, to my mind, Blues based heavy rock in the main and those albums have admittedly lofty high points. Houses of the Holy was the last Zepp album that I kind of enjoyed and Physical Graffiti was the last Zepp album that I purchased (I lost my interest in the band from that point) - although I did purchase two Robert Plant albums later.
Where Zepp's high point was "Stairway to Heaven" and it is a masterful composition in any musical sense "2112", for me, is a full on musical adventure. One is simply more widely commercially appreciated than the other one which is musically the better one in my opinion.
Each to his own but relating to Desert Islands I'm taking 2112 or another Rush pick long before I take a Zeppelin album. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 04:42
Greatest Zep-albums to me are also first to Houses of Holy, although there are great moments in later albums too, specially Physical Graffiti third side is just great. But I prefer more Fly By Night - Permanent Waves Rush albums.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 09:02
Hi,

This blues discussion is scary ... and I can only appreciate the time and effort that Dark Elf took in putting it together to show something.

There is one other small detail ... and I would like to add (and suggest DE see it) the DVD on Tom Dowd and the fact that after WW2, he started recording a lot of artists and many of them were black and into the blues and jazz. His comment on the video is that the music studios owned all the music publishing and recording studios and they only released the material that they could sell for their "stars" ... and thus, a sectional group, as most of these "blues" and "blacks" were across the country, would not exactly be known by anyone else, and could easily be taken away and become another song ... which might not have been intentional or malignant ... all you need is a friend from the East Coast come visit you on the West Coast, and he/she hums a song, and then you pick it up and before you know it, you have something else ... that could be said to have come from that other piece.

One last thing ... that is VERY IMPORTANT here ... up to 50 years ago, most of this stuff was "invisible" ... only a handful of folks heard of Johnson this or that, or Sonny this or that ... today, with the media and internet and wiki, it's easy to all of a sudden "know" them all, and putting together a history is not a difficult process, although the details and the geography of it all is way too immense for most studies. But this was not there 50 years ago, and again, a lot of the "black" music was not available as widely as it is now.

This, is also a great lesson on music and its changes and history ... something almost similar also happened with "progressive" music, and led to places like "ProgArchives" being created, and helped maintain a strong connection to the number of artists, although not quite/exactly its history which is in the hands of a few (like DE, or Dean and others) ... and is not put together (as it probably should) to help explain the "progressive" gestation a lot better for yournger folks, that even post in this board.

The only issue might be ... that there are too many differences, and America is like 5 or 6 different countries and the black history in California is not the same as the black history in Alabama ... and it shows even in the music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 09:34
Oh my.....Geddy Lee himself would be embarrassed that Rush got that many votes against the Hammer of the Gods.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2018 at 09:55
Zep! This was getting too close for comfort. Sorry Geddy.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 17:41
I voted Rush long ago and I am sticking to it. Led is just a glorified rock band 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112